Helped a new mama! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all. I just had to share this cool little incident that happened at the mall yesterday.

I was with my younger two, out shopping and there was a new mama there with a crying baby hanging off her back in a sling. It was an OTSBH sling (which happens to be one of the many carriers I own and I like them a lot, so am pretty familiar w/ them) but she clearly didn't know how to use it. It was practically choking her around her neck and it was on backwards, w/ the tail going over her shoulder in back where she couldn't adjust it. The little guy dangled down by her butt and he was swinging and wailing all buried in fabric. Mama was looking distressed and telling baby she'd get him in just a moment, just let her get to where she could sit down and adjust things. She was trying to swing him around to the front and plug in a pacifier but he kept screaming...

I felt so bad for them. I went over and asked her if she would like some help. I explained that I had used those kind of slings before and asked if she'd tried a chest-to-chest upright front carry (there's prolly a better name for that, but ykwim). She admitted she'd just gotten the sling from Goodwill and had no idea how to use it. She looked on the internet, but I don't think she understood it very well. I told her my newborns always loved it and then I proceeded to model the carry for her. Baby still cried some, but was happier. I told her he really wanted his mommy. So then I demonstrated how to put the sling over her shoulder properly and fan the fabric out so it didn't cut into her neck and have the tail where she could adjust it. Then I took crying, fussing baby and placed him gently on mommy's chest and snugged the sling all up around him. He instantly went right to sleep! No paci. No nothing. Just snuggled up close to his mama in the sling, snoozing peacefully! How cool is that???

About a half hour later, I saw them again, walking in a different part of the mall and baby was still snuggled up fast asleep. Mom looked comfortable and relaxed and smiled at me. I was so pleased. I think we may have a new babywearing convert!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 08:31 PM

What a wonderful story! And good for you for jumping in to help. So many people would have been too shy or nervous to approach a stranger like that.

I've never heard of anyone wearing an OTSBH on their back... that sounds seriously scary to me.

I'm sure she will stick with babywearing now, thanks to you!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Yeah, I sure hope she sticks with it. It was just the coolest thing to watch that little guy go from frantic, frustrated crying to peaceful slumber the moment he was snugged up to his mommy in the sling. It was like magic. If every mom of a fussy baby could experience that little miracle, I bet more moms would take up wearing their babies. When I was a new mama and my baby was crying non-stop, I'd have done anything to find the miracle that transformed a crying baby into a snuggly-sweet sleeping one. Unfortunately, I think that there are prolly a lot of moms who have the other, frustrating experience like this mama had when she had no idea how to use the sling and noone to show her.

I was glad that she let me help her. I am not sure I would have done something like that even a few years ago. But as I've gotten older and after having four kids, it gets easier. It helped that I had my two youngest kids w/ me b/c I think a mama w/ littles along is a very non-threatening person. If I had been all alone sans kidlets, she might have found me intimidating or something. I just hope it works out for her and her baby to continue.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:50 PM

I love to see people helping people. Thanks for the nice story.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August

User Tag List