What was your first carrier? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made my first using the maya wrap online instructions. It was horribly uncomfortable and unsafe! Didn't know about craft rings and all that back then.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#62 of 75 Old 12-25-2008, 12:20 AM

Ok, here's my list.

- ergo (couldn't use until my ds was 6 months old. He hated it before that.)
- Orange sling (Korean closed tail padded sling. I used that for the first month.)
- maya wrap
- phyeonhae chunei

Now, I pretty much just use my Ergo. I love it now!
#63 of 75 Old 12-25-2008, 12:36 AM

my first was a BH XT. I got it because of the price, and i LOVED it! I wish i still had it.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#64 of 75 Old 12-25-2008, 12:39 AM

Mine was a New Native. It was gifted to me. I hated it.
#65 of 75 Old 12-25-2008, 06:49 PM

I couldn't decide so had two to start out with, a Hotsling which I used when out and about since it was packable and I loved it. So easy to go shopping with. For the house we used a Sachi MT. DH and I both used it so that was helpful and it was the only way he could get her to go to sleep for a long time.
#66 of 75 Old 12-28-2008, 11:55 PM

My first was a Moby Wrap and I LOVED IT. Once I figured out how to use it (a little learning curve, but nothing a stuffed animal can't help with), she was always in it. We hiked everywhere and I was never trapped at home with a sleeping baby. I even used it in the summer and she was fine...nice and cozy.
#67 of 75 Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM

I was given a Nojo baby sling while pregnant with my first baby. Oh and a Snugli. needless to say, I gave up on babywearing her quickly. Both were very uncomfy!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#68 of 75 Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM

My first was a wrap sling - Maya Wrap. My friend actually lent me hers to try with ds1 and I really loved it so I bought my own and returned hers to her.

I have other carriers now - sleepy wrap, Kozy, Catbird Mei Tai, Sutemi pack, Obi, and still like my ring sling best especially from about birth to 6 months.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#69 of 75 Old 12-31-2008, 12:04 AM

I received all three of these (because I asked for them) when pregnant with DS:

Baby Bjorn Active - Asked for this before I'd researched all the alternatives. DH uses it frequently around the house and for walks, and I've found myself putting it on occasionally as a quick and easy alternative to the Moby. Also, DS is less smashed up against me in the BB, which is a consideration because I am battling thrush, and my breasts are quite sensitive sometimes.

Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Ring Sling - Unfortunately we haven't used this much. DS just doesn't seem to like the sling as much as an upright carrier. He tends to fuss, and I don't find it as comfortable as the Moby.

Moby Wrap - I love, love, love my Moby and use this most of any of these.

Then after he was born, I purchased a cool looking Hotsling, thinking that he might like that better than the more cavernous Maya Ring Sling - unfortunately, he doesn't! The Maya seems too big, and the Hotsling seems too small. Maybe I need to try harder... I've sort of given up on them both.

Next.... I'd like to get a Meitai I think, and/ or an Ergo!
#70 of 75 Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 AM

A Didymos wrap because my best friend's wife had one and I loved watching her put it on. I thought: How cool is that!
#71 of 75 Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 AM

My first was a Peanut Shell. It was too small, I had to get another one. Well actually, my first given to me was the Jeep Carrier, at my shower, but I did not use it first...I don't think I used it at all. My husband did.

After the Peanut Shell I got a Kozy Carrier mei tai, a Zolowear ring sling, another Peanut Shell, a Babyhawk Mei tai, 2 Comfy Joey pouches, an Eesti Ring sling, a homemade wrap made out of fleece and a Loveseat soft structured carrier.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#72 of 75 Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 AM

My first was a Sprout Pouch- I had never babywore before I got it so I didn't really know what to look for. I got a Hotsling for DH shortly after that because he wanted to wear DS too but wanted something with a more manly print.

We got an Ergo when DS was one and that is what we have been using since.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#73 of 75 Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbellydreams View Post
and why did you chose that one first?
The New Native pouch sling. I got it because it looked simple and I didn't want to have to adjust anything. I thought it would help my baby sleep but I was WRONG! It didn't work for us at all and it almost ruined me on babywearing. It worked fairly well for the hip carry when he got a little older, but not at all for the traditional sling position.

Then I found the Ergo and the SleepyWrap and have been much happier since!

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#74 of 75 Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 AM

Heart to heart sling and new native pouch.

I still have both but never use them - now I'm a wrapper!
#75 of 75 Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 AM

Ergo. I bought it when my dd was 2.5 months. I decided on it because it was plain (neutral so my dh would use it) and it looked easy to use. We really love it. It was my only carrier until my dd was 9 months, and we still use it a lot.

My second carrier was a woven wrap (Merry Carry) that I found tricky at first, but I'm getting better with it lately. It's so soft and I love it for snuggles.

Now I'm looking into a third (and fourth, and....)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page