Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and why did you chose that one first?
#2 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 PM

my first was a KKAFP; i chose it cuz i liked the simplicity of a pouch and wanted something snuggly for my November baby!
#3 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 02:09 PM

My first was a hotsling, and I got it b/c it was soooo pretty. Also, it is reversible and has a golden brocade print on one side, which worked perfectly with the bridesmaid gown I was wearing when DS was 9 weeks old. Not during the wedding, but through the reception. Kept him close and safe, kept people away from him, and looked fabulous.
#4 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 02:57 PM

My very first was a Baby Bjorn, because:
- it looked sortof like the Snugli my mom had had
- but looked more technologically advanced, which I thought at the time was good
- and it was the only thing I was aware of at all

My second was a NoJo, because my Bradley instructor encouraged using a sling and the only ones I was aware of were the NoJo and the OTSBH.

My THIRD sling was a Chic Papoose pouch sling. I saw it on a woman from MDC whom I met IRL. Meeting up with MDC mamas introduced me to the wider world of babywearing.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#5 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:02 PM

My very first carrier was a Baba Sling. It was given to me by an older female friend from Australia. She is from the town where the family that makes them live. She saw them and thought of me, pregnant, and brought home their literature. I said, "Yes, I'd love one!" and that was her shower present for me!
It's beautiful, rich brown with fall-colored patterned trim. She outdid herself picking the perfect sling for me.

I still love it and it's well worn to show for it.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#6 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:06 PM

first one was a baby bjorn
then a sling=type carrier from target i believe
then a new native
then a ring sling
then an ergo
and hopefully a mei tai in the future!
(can you tell i have a problem?)
#7 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

I bought a NoJo when I was pregnant with my first child. I was a teen mom, and had never seen a sling before. As soon as I got home after purchasing it, I tried it on to see how it would work. My mom put one of her cats in the sling, just to add weight to it, and we took a walk around the block with the cat lounging in the nojo.
#8 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:25 PM

My first was a snugli carrier that doubled as a sling... It looked like it would have the learning curve I wanted since I was too worried to use a real sling at the time. It sucked... I sold it for $10 on Ebay... but I've still got the ring sling I couldn't figure out then.
#9 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

My first was a baby bjorn - I had really only heard of the carriers sold at Target like places and ring slings. Ring slings I just don't like the looks of so I went with the Bjorn which I had heard good things about.

Then I made myself a pouch, and then another, and then bought a hotsling. My reasons for the pouch was it looked easy to use, didn't have any extra fabric hanging around, and looked like something I could make myself inexpensively.

Tthen I bought a mei tai, and another, because DD never felt secure in the pouch when trying a back carry.

Then an Ergo (which is still on its way to me so I haven't tried it yet). Decided to try this because I found one at a good price. :LOL

I'll probably make more pouches too. They are just fun to make, cheap, and its always fun to get a new one. :LOL
#10 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE
My very first carrier was a Baba Sling. It was given to me by an older female friend from Australia. She is from the town where the family that makes them live. She saw them and thought of me, pregnant, and brought home their literature. I said, "Yes, I'd love one!" and that was her shower present for me!
It's beautiful, rich brown with fall-colored patterned trim. She outdid herself picking the perfect sling for me.

I still love it and it's well worn to show for it.

Ooh! A babasling!!! I have an ancient, never-answered at all, question thread out there about them. And now I have an answer.

I love how they look! So they are comfy and all?

I don't think I'll be using one for DS, but should there ever be another infant in my life, I think I'll be getting one, now that I know of ONE person who has used one happily, LOL.
#11 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A big ole NOJO. It was given to me.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 03:48 PM

A New Native carrier that way way too small for DS (who was a chunk a lunk) and my extremely full newborn nursing boobs!

After that we got a maya wrap and an obsession was born!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#13 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 05:40 PM

My first was an adjustable Maya pouch; I chose it because I liked the fabric, and the pouch seemed simpler to use than a ring sling.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 06:32 PM

A Lucky Baby pouch sling - I chose because it was cheap and seemed like a lot of people liked it. We love it and still use it frequently.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#15 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 07:05 PM

6 years ago my first was a snugli. I just wanted to vacuum. The bjorn was so expensive, I laugh at that knowing I now own a new Ergo.
#16 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 08:15 PM

Besides the Bjorn, my first "entry level" carrier was a SnuggleGear Closed tail ring sling. I didn't want a pouch--the fit needed to be too percise and I wanted DH to babywear also. And I thought the long flowing fabric of an open tail was, well, just too much!

I loved that sling! I ended up really liking open tails and tried to turn the sling into a pouch, but mismeasured it and made it too small. Fortunately, I was able to sell it for cheap to a mama who fit it perfectly.

And for nostalgia, here it is (worn as only a newbie slinger can wear it--rings WAY too low and fabric not spread well ):
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...s/4c6fda7b.jpg
#17 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 08:17 PM

a Kozy. chose it cuz dh liked the looks of it and i figured that was a good way to get him to bw
still my alltime fave!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#18 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 PM

I guess I really like babywearing. My son is less than five months old and we have already progressed through the following:

maya wrap and hotsling (bought before babe was born)
ergo
ellaroo wrap
didymos wraps
storch wrap

My husband has also acquired his own hotsling and wrap.
#19 of 75 Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, I forgot. I also had this Fisher Price front pack where the part the baby was in detached from the part that was harnessed around the mama. I thought that was the bees knees because if the baby fell asleep I could take that part off and just lay him down. Imagine how thrilled I was when I discovered slings!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#20 of 75 Old 09-17-2006, 04:55 AM

whoa..this was 13 years ago when I was 20..I had a snugli, then a nojo, a hotsling, then a mei tai and now I'm about to try an Ergo.
#21 of 75 Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 AM

it was a snugli. I used it maybe twice...didn't like that one too much. Then a maya sling. That was much nice but a bit uncomfy when they get heavier. Now I have a "over the shoulder baby holder" this so far is the most comfortable for me. I keep it in the car. I find those all the time at second hand stores for a couple of bucks.
#22 of 75 Old 09-17-2006, 07:52 AM

Nojo - and I only got that because someone gave us baby present money so I went to target and bought a much coveted sling that I hadn't been able to afford previously. I miss that thing, I learned to babywear with it, ya know??

Just before #2 was born I got my Maya - which I still use. We also use a mei tai from time to time.

In between I've tried out/used hot sling pouches (one stretchy, one not), a maya pouch, a kangaa sling found on ebay, and a robezo. But I've always stuck with the maya ring sling.

I want to try out the hug a bub, it looks comfy, but i probably can't actually buy one.

Aisling
#23 of 75 Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 AM

A homemade maya wrap...chose it just because it was the only one I was slightly familiar with as a first-time pregnant mom.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#24 of 75 Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 AM

Baby Bjorn
Ellaroo wrap
Hotsling
A second Hotsling! (C'mon, the print was too cute!)
(Then a third Hotsling I bought for my husband . . .)
Oopa ring sling
Babyhawk Mei Tai

They all have a special place in my heart . . . awwwww.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#25 of 75 Old 09-20-2006, 12:25 AM

My first carrier was a bjorn, which for the most part sucked.

Then I made a ring sling.
#26 of 75 Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 AM

My very very first carrier I had was purchased 19 years ago for my firstborn......I bought it at a garage sale & it was old THEN! It was this funny home made front carrier from the 70's in neon yellow & orange. I used it but it wasn't that great.

Years later I bought a big NOJO baby sling. I loved it but it was hard on my back.

With my recent sixth baby I bought a beautiful Baby Hawk mei tai, and I love it - but unfortunately my daughter hates being in it. Incidentally, she tolerates the NOJO!!! I hope she comes around 'cause I wanna wear that mei tai!!!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#27 of 75 Old 09-20-2006, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
My very very first carrier I had was purchased 19 years ago for my firstborn
That's really cool!

My first carrier was a Kozy purchased used at a BWing workshop. I still use it all the time.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#28 of 75 Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 PM

My first was a padded ring sling that my mother made (think OTSBH)
It was way too big and I couldn't get it comfy for Dd or I. So I grapped a wrap skirt, tied the ends together, and viola
So my first carrier that I actually used was a rebozo, and I didn't know what a rebozo was at that time.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#29 of 75 Old 09-20-2006, 05:38 PM

Kkacp

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#30 of 75 Old 09-20-2006, 08:19 PM

A "pre-owned" Bjorn, which has never or will never, be used by our family!

Loving my mammasmilk pouch! Waiting anxiously to use my Babyhawk mei tei...DD goes crazy in it right now rooting furiously and frantically, even if (I think she is anyway) full as a tick!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page