The No-Sew Wrap? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momalea View Post
That's so great that there will be another mama out there with the same wrap as me! I get lots of compliments of it, I hope you like it!

I just got done sewing up the edge, I wanted a little less bulk... and it's fabulous!! Baby and I love it!! Our first time using a wrap... we're having so much fun trying all the different ways to wear it!! Way easier than I thought it would be.
#32 of 43 Old 10-03-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
I just got done sewing up the edge, I wanted a little less bulk... and it's fabulous!! Baby and I love it!! Our first time using a wrap... we're having so much fun trying all the different ways to wear it!! Way easier than I thought it would be.

Yay! People ask me all the time with great wonder how the wrap is done, which is pretty funny considering how easy it is. My dd ties hers on and wears her stuffed animals around all the time. Happy wrapping!
#33 of 43 Old 10-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Does anyone have a picture of themselves wearing their no-sew wrap? I'm sure I've got 5 yards of fabric here somewhere, but I don't know how to do it. I've never worn my DD before (she's a big 10 month old). I'm on the wearyourbaby site and looking at how to do the side carry, but I still don't get it HELP! (please)
#34 of 43 Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM

:

Questions: would jersey knit (t-shirt material, I guess) be too stretchy? I have a 26 lb. 18 mo. old.
#35 of 43 Old 10-04-2006, 06:13 PM

I think I'd almost rather buy a "real " sling than try this and have it not work out for me, lol
#36 of 43 Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyC View Post
:

Questions: would jersey knit (t-shirt material, I guess) be too stretchy? I have a 26 lb. 18 mo. old.
I'm not a fabric expert, but I do have a jersey cotton pillowcase and it's way to stretchy in my opinion for a bigger kiddie. The stretchier stuff is ok for little newborns, but as they get heavier less stretchy is better.
Also, in my experience, once the babe gets a certain size/weight back carries are preferable (to having a big baby on your chest). You can easily put them on your hip with a wrap! That's fun too! But, the front cross carry doesn't work well for me with a heavy babe because of my "sensitive" back.

We've been doing lots of back carries lately and LOVE it! Takes just a bit of practice but DD (26mth, 25lb) and DS2 (4mth, 14lb) both LOVE it!!! DD doesn't get carried that often but DS2 does and often falls asleep or happily "hangs" out safely while I cook or do chores or other stuff.
#37 of 43 Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 PM

I think jersey knit would be much too stretchy. I have a 25# 8 month old and the woven cotton works great to hold up his bulk. Anything with much stretch at his size and he'd be hanging too low and my back would be aching.
#38 of 43 Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 AM

So funny I saw this because I saw a mama just today at the mall with one and I was talking to her about it, ( you NEVER see babies slung here: ) and she was telling about this excat thing! I have an OTSBH and LOVE it but I have always wanted this kind of wrap. All the MW in the hospital in Germany use them on the fussy babes and noe that E. is so big I want to sling him on my back and the OTSBH isn't has good for that. I know where I am going tomorrow Damn you mamas for making me all crafty I can't stop crocheting longies and booties and looking at making my own fitteds... and now wraps!! DH is going to KILL me!
#39 of 43 Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 AM

Mine is made from a cotton knit that is a bit heavier than a light t-shirt material. When I fold it in half lengthwise (it is approx. 30 in. wide) it seems to be less stretchy. DS is only 16 lbs, but it is working great for us now. My mom did hem the edges...but I don't think that was necessary. The Moby wrap also has tapered ends, if you have a chance to see one IRL you could get an idea from it. Their website has great pics of how to wrap www.mobywrap.com

Here's a pic of us in our homemade wrap: (I hope the link works, I've never linked to my pics before)
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...vfolderid=2006

and here's another one:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...vfolderid=2006

They aren't super great pics of how we're wrapped, but it's the best I've got!

I wonder if you could sew a thinner fabric on at the end of the wrap (last 12 in on each end, for exapmle) to make the knot less bulky?
#40 of 43 Old 10-05-2006, 12:23 PM

Okay...so jersey knit t-shirt material is too stretchy. So what am I looking for? Interlock knit? Stretch cotton? I have a hotsling I love, but it is too small.
#41 of 43 Old 10-06-2006, 04:57 PM

Just got done cutting mine to size. I got 5 1/2 yrds( and a little more I think ) of a cream color cotton with just a hint of strech to it from : WalMart: for just under five dollars!! I'll post this evening and share how it went!
#42 of 43 Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 PM

EastonsMom... How'd it go??? It sound like great fabric!
#43 of 43 Old 10-06-2006, 07:50 PM

Awesome!!!! I will try and post a pic I made two wraps for under five bucks! Can't beat that!!!! If only I can get him to stay still long enough to get him in the back carry! ( he is 17 monthes and 28 lbs!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page