The No-Sew Wrap? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Really can you really buy 5 1/2 yrds of cotton knit and use it as a wrap?

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#2 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just cut it in half down the middle. You will want a fabric without too much stretch in it though, especially when baby gets bigger.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#3 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you keep the knot from being too 'bulky' though? I tried it over the winter and the knot was as big as Em's head..
#4 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

It wont unravel?
I think my heart just skipped a beat!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#5 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine never did

I don't know about the knot issue. I never noticed mine being that big. I used hug-a-bug tying instructions *I think*. Or just a basic something I saw another mama do once that I can't describe well. I never had that big of a knot. Did you cut your yardage down the middle?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#6 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 12:21 AM

FOr sure, I would get something with a bit of give, but too stretchy and baby will be sagging as they get heavier, if you have a sewing machine you could sew the raw edges so they dont fray.
#7 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 AM

Usually with jersey, the fabric rolls in on itself and doesn't fray, IMO. A serger would be good if you feel strongly about the hem. However, that's a lot of hemming.
#8 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 AM

I bought 5 yards of woven material so there was no "wrong" side to it. It's 100% cotton and pretty light weight. I then cut it down in width by one foot, I think it's about 28 inches wide now. Then my friend hemmed the one side that I cut for me as I don't sew at all. And it works great! I use it every day, almost all day long for the last 6 months to tote around my 24# 8month old ds and I'm sure I'll be using it for the next year at least.

I could have not cut the width down (and not needed to hem it at all) but I wanted a little less bulk. I have a great wrap for $25 and my dd used the 12" strip that I cut off to wrap her dolls & stuffed animals! I get lots of complements on my wrap and questions about how it works.
#9 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 PM

I LOVE my no-sew!! It's fabulous!! I specifically got something pretty stretchy since I wanted it for when she was pretty tiny (which was up until about 5 months LOL) so it doesn't work as well now, but it was awesome then!!!

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#10 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 PM

Oh yeah, and mine isn't hemmed either. Just 5 yards cut in half down the middle and that's that! I've never had a fray problem but my fabric doesn't seem to do that...I wish I could remember what kind it is...

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#11 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
Mine never did

I don't know about the knot issue. I never noticed mine being that big. I used hug-a-bug tying instructions *I think*. Or just a basic something I saw another mama do once that I can't describe well. I never had that big of a knot. Did you cut your yardage down the middle?
yes.

the instructions I got from another site said to use only serged cotton with diagonal give to it and no light-weight fabrics because even serged they won't hold?
#12 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 07:04 PM

There are instructions somewhere online for tying the ends with rubberbands to keep them from fraying. You can even wash them with the bands on. I just wash mine and let them fray a little. I use cotton gauze.
#13 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 PM

Okay, I'm going to sound like a total ignoramous here, but can someone please give me really specific fabric examples that you have used? I went to Wal-mart and the ladies had no idea what cotton knit was. I'm obviously not much of a seamstress and I didn't know either.
#14 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 PM

#15 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! I just got some t-shirt like cotton, I think jersey, right? A real pretty cranberry color and a beaded embelishment to keep track off the center, so pretty! I love it already, but the knot is a little bit big even though I cut the width in half, so I'm thinking about tapering the ends a little but am worried that I will sacrifice safety or something. And I think when I have time I'll hem it, just so its easy to toss in the wash without too much worry. I'll have to post some pics soon.

#16 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 11:40 PM

If you do taper the ends, make sure you don't taper at too sharp of an angle, it will affect how tight you can tie the wrap. Take a look at the parallelogram (?sp) on the didymos site for a reasonable taper. I tapered my first gauzy wrap too much and now can only use it for shorter ties since I cannot tie a knot anywhere close to the ends.
#17 of 43 Old 09-22-2006, 01:05 AM

#18 of 43 Old 09-22-2006, 02:48 AM

This is the type that I bought. Specifically, I have "Multi Stripe Capri Woven Cotton Fabric". The little swatch they show doesn't show how nice the colors are.
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/category/3396.html
#19 of 43 Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 AM

Hmm, just looking at these fabrics makes me want another one!
#20 of 43 Old 09-23-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmm2112 View Post
Great site!
#21 of 43 Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momalea View Post
Hmm, just looking at these fabrics makes me want another one!
: my local joann's had all clearance fabric 50% off. I couldn't resist.
#22 of 43 Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 AM

I got 5 yards of cotton gauze for $5 at the $1/yard bin at Walmart-it's very lightweight (great for the summer) and for $5 i'm not too concerned if it unravels a bit-i can just replace at some point (i don't sew at all)...but it's been great. i didn't even trim down the width-just kept it for extra strength as it is a so lightweight...

eta i've only used mine for the fwcc so i'm interested in other carries-i've checked out that link and just need to work up my nerve!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#23 of 43 Old 09-24-2006, 01:40 PM

I just made one out of fleece for the winter I love it it's so warm, but the knot is huge. So I was thinking of using it for fall while I don't need to wear a jacket over the huge knot, and making a new one for under my coat this winter. I'm looking for the right fabric because I want a small knot, I'd like something woven. Any suggestions on fabric or a safe way to taper it?
How well would Flannel work?
#24 of 43 Old 09-24-2006, 05:49 PM

I fixed my fleece one. I went to another site and they said 20" was enough, mine was 30". So I trimmed it down, it's just as warm and the scrap works great for the cross carry ties and the knot is now worth it. Sorry I'm just so excited
#25 of 43 Old 09-27-2006, 12:36 AM

i use a wrap made of crinkle cotton. it gives just a bit. the knot is kinda big, but not bad (i didn't cut it...it is the full width...i like the extra material) i adore it. i tried an ellaroo the other day and didn't like it as much as my homemade. i've also washed it a bunch and no unraveling at all.

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#26 of 43 Old 09-27-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momalea View Post
This is the type that I bought. Specifically, I have "Multi Stripe Capri Woven Cotton Fabric". The little swatch they show doesn't show how nice the colors are.
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/category/3396.html
That site had some great patterns... I've been looking at the Ellaroo wraps, but was having a hard time with spending that much money on something so simple. I just orderd that same color, it looks great, can't wait to try it out!

Thanks!!

some guidlines on what type of fabrics that work good for the "no sew"...
http://www.wearyourbaby.com/Default.aspx?tabid=121
#27 of 43 Old 09-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Woops... I didn't see someone else posted that site... anyways it's a good one
#28 of 43 Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM

I also love my no-sew! I actually have 2. The first one I made is a blue mostly cotton but with a bit of polyester (I think) and it works great. The second is all cotton jersey (that has a bit much give) but it still works, thought I don't much like it with a back carry. Awesome idea though... especially if you are poor like me.
#29 of 43 Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
That site had some great patterns... I've been looking at the Ellaroo wraps, but was having a hard time with spending that much money on something so simple. I just orderd that same color, it looks great, can't wait to try it out!

Thanks!!
That's so great that there will be another mama out there with the same wrap as me! I get lots of compliments of it, I hope you like it!
#30 of 43 Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
How do you keep the knot from being too 'bulky' though? I tried it over the winter and the knot was as big as Em's head..
There is a way to tie a knot so it is flatter. For the first half of the knot you go right over left and for the second half go left over right. Does that make sense? You could also start out going left over right and then finish going right over left. The idea is just that the second knot is the reverse of the first HTH!

ETA: this kind of knot is called a reef knot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page