Mei Tei or Ergo??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lillie is getting too heavy for my sling (she's forward facing now, but can't quite sit up so no hip carry yet) and I'm going to graduate up and don't know which to get. I love the ease of the sling for short periods, but for festivals and hikes, it just strains my back too much.

What are your opinions?

TIA!
#2 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 03:01 PM

MT! I could never get dd tight enough in an ergo- it just wasn't nearly as comfortable as the MTs

-Angela
#3 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
MT! I could never get dd tight enough in an ergo- it just wasn't nearly as comfortable as the MTs

-Angela
I'm the opposite. They're both terrific, so it probably just comes down to personal preference.
#4 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM

That was my question a few months ago, though I already had a lightweight unpadded mei tai that was hurting me.

I ended up choosing Ergo, and absolutely adore it! It came down to being tired of tying the mei tai, but I'm sure the mei tai would have worked just as well.
#5 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM

I love my mei tais. They aren't as bulky as my Ergo
#6 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 05:07 PM

I think it is really important to try each one first. It would be great if you could borrow each for a week and then make your decision. I had a friend who borrowed a mei tai one week, then my ergo the next week and ended up deciding on the ergo which really suprised me cause I totally pegged her for a mei tai girl. I have both and I use them both every day but which one is the best is really depends on you and your lifestyle. pauline
#7 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 PM

I have both and like both. The thing I don't like about the mei tai is putting it on in a parking lot when the ground is wet. The ties touch the ground and get gross. So if you live in a climate that is wet or snowy I'd go ergo if not then toss a coin.
#8 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 PM

mei tais are great on front but I can't handle separating my boobs. It totally destroys any remaining shape I have. Cross your heart my a**!

I am a 100% dedicated Ergo-manic!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#9 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 PM

I have both and use both in different circumstances. I do go to my mt more though. I can get my dd higher and tighter on my back. And I never cross the straps between my boobs (I'm a E cup, that wouldn't be pretty!)
Longer hauls, I choose the Ergo
Errands, quick runs into the post office, mom2mom sales, and even grocery shopping...I reach for my mt.
#10 of 29 Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 PM

I have both too, and I use them for differnet things. I go in spurts, I just came out a Ergo sprut and now I'm into my MT. I used to use the Mt a lot for a high back carry when the baby was smaller. Now I use it more for a front carry and I love how close to my body it brings hte baby's weight. My husband uses the Ergo a lot too so that is an advantage of hte Ergo it tends to be more partner friendly.
#11 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arboriamoon View Post
mei tais are great on front but I can't handle separating my boobs.
You can wear a MT rucksack-style so that you don't have that awkward boobs separation thing. I don't like that either!

I have both an ergo and MT and for day-to-day prefer the MT because it's not as stiff and bulky as the ERGO, and I find it much easier to nurse in. But for long hikes, I usually use the ergo. So you might take into consideration what you'll be doing more of while wearing your baby.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#12 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 12:34 AM

I did not find the Ergo to be comfortable. It did not hurt my back, but rubbed under my arms and would dig into my legs if I sat down. I much preferred a mei tai. And I have a big 26 pound lump to carry around.
#13 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 01:44 AM

My preference is the ERGO. I started out with a MT but just couldn't stand getting the straps dirty when putting dd on. It was also a pain when I had to take the time to make sure the straps were not twisted. For the long haul, I just couldn't get her comfortable. Wherelse the ERGO is my workhorse carrier. My slings are what I use for quick trips but I won't go anywhere without the ERGO now. It's quick and easy and SO comfortable. It's also the only carrier I can nurse dd in comfortably. The other big seller is that my husband loves the ERGO! He's a chiropractor and fully endorses it. So it's versatile for both of you.

It does come down to personal preference. I loaned my MT to a friend who loved it and to another who prefered the ERGO.

Good luck! Either carrier will be great
#14 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like both for different reasons.
My MT was better when dd was smaller, because it is very flexible, but now that she is over a year and getting heavier, I like the padded waist of my Ergo.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#15 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 05:11 PM

I didn't like my ergo, the straps/buckles would dig under my arm area. Also I found it difficult to nurse in the ergo, I couldn't get the straps to adjust right to be comfy. I also found it hard to wear in teh front, I had to have someone do the buckle on the back for me.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#16 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 PM

I've never tried the MT but I could not live without my ERGO!! LOVE it!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#17 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks soooo much for all the great opinions!

Ergoers: Do you find it easier than the Mei Tei to put on by yourself? One of my main concerns is being out by myself with Lillie and being able to put her in the carrier without much fuss.
#18 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 08:39 PM

I find them both easy to put dd in a back carry by myself. I only do back carrys, though.
#19 of 29 Old 09-28-2006, 11:28 PM

The Ergo is easy to get on, but you do have to put the babe down for one second to clip the thing on

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#20 of 29 Old 09-29-2006, 12:23 AM

You might consider also trying a beco pack which is kind of a hybrid between an ergo and a mei tai.

It's super comfy and lightweight (and pretty!) like a MT but has convenient ergo-like straps and waistbelt (IMO the straps and waistbelt are not quite as stiff as the Ergo).

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#21 of 29 Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM

I saw a site the other day that allowed tyou to rent a BabyHawk carrier for 2 weeks. That would help you make up your mind about a MT.

Here it is

http://twofortheroadcarriers.com/default.aspx

I am also sure I have heard of somewhere that allows rental of the Ergo's..

Off to search will edit in later if I find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
I think it is really important to try each one first. It would be great if you could borrow each for a week and then make your decision. I had a friend who borrowed a mei tai one week, then my ergo the next week and ended up deciding on the ergo which really suprised me cause I totally pegged her for a mei tai girl. I have both and I use them both every day but which one is the best is really depends on you and your lifestyle. pauline
#22 of 29 Old 09-29-2006, 05:03 PM

One more vote for the Ergo. I love mine. I love the padded waist strap. I find it's really easy to get dd in and out once you practice a few times.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#23 of 29 Old 09-30-2006, 02:17 AM

I used to like my Mei Tai better. Now that ds is almost 1 and almost 20 lbs, the ergo is more comfortable, especially for the back carry.
#24 of 29 Old 09-30-2006, 02:40 AM

I hope this qualifies as a reply and not more questions! I wonder if anyone else like the beco? They are much cuter, and look more secure, cocoon-y, maybe.... I love my MT with my 6 month old DS, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to but him back in it after taking him out, if I am out alone... What do I do, put him on the ground? Ask the eighty year old man in the staw fedora with the bag of oranges to hold him a sec? : Others must know these secrets.

Another thing I have not mastered is a MT back carry, I have followed links and still ended up with a chortling baby pinned precariously by one strap, happily dangling... I must try again this weekend. Not only do I prefer the closeness of carrying but for some odd reason I feel like a twit with the stoller- it doesn't feel natural. That being said, does anyone else have my problem. My very active boy is ultra happy and quiet in my MT as long as I'm in motion. Stopping is not allowed. I assume this would happen with the ergo too....

One thing to consider is if the ergo perhaps better around the house as well as long carries.... The MT is not too quick on off at home for fussiness, but feels wonderfully close.

homebirth.jpgh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif

#25 of 29 Old 09-30-2006, 11:15 AM

I haven't used my Ergo for too long and right now feel like they are both quick to get on, but I think the Ergo might end up being quicker as I figure it out more, since I won't need to adjust the straps.

I also think, I have 1 Ergo and don't plan on ever buying another one, I have a MT and an Unbu and can imagine myself getting tired of the prints and wanting another print along the way and buying another. Where as the Ergo is just boring looking and always will be so whats the point of a second one. KWIM? So maybe if budget is an issue I'd go Ergo.
#26 of 29 Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 AM

Oh another thing that happens with the MT and not the Ergo...

At home I like to keep the bottom strapped/tied on while DD is down playing, well the MT drags on the ground behind me, which I wouldn't care about, my house is clean, but my dog things he needs to chase those straps!
#27 of 29 Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 PM

I don't own a Beco but do own a couple Buckle Tie's...the JackPack, Patapum, and the LoveSeat. I love all three for different reasons but you might conider one of these a well as a Beco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupena View Post
I hope this qualifies as a reply and not more questions! I wonder if anyone else like the beco? They are much cuter, and look more secure, cocoon-y, maybe.... I love my MT with my 6 month old DS, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to but him back in it after taking him out, if I am out alone... What do I do, put him on the ground? Ask the eighty year old man in the staw fedora with the bag of oranges to hold him a sec? : Others must know these secrets.

Another thing I have not mastered is a MT back carry, I have followed links and still ended up with a chortling baby pinned precariously by one strap, happily dangling... I must try again this weekend. Not only do I prefer the closeness of carrying but for some odd reason I feel like a twit with the stoller- it doesn't feel natural. That being said, does anyone else have my problem. My very active boy is ultra happy and quiet in my MT as long as I'm in motion. Stopping is not allowed. I assume this would happen with the ergo too....

One thing to consider is if the ergo perhaps better around the house as well as long carries.... The MT is not too quick on off at home for fussiness, but feels wonderfully close.
#28 of 29 Old 10-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Lupena, my boy tolerates standing still in the Ergo a million times more than he ever tolerated standing still in the mei tai. I think he's less confined and more supported in the Ergo than he was in my mei tai.

NOTE: I had a "summer" mei tai with unpadded straps and a mesh body, so it can't be compared easily to a more plush model.

As for the back carry, how old is your babe? My guy is a full-on toddler, so it's easy to just squat down and have him hold on to my neck, and then I pull the Ergo up over his booty.

Oh duh, you said it in the paragraph I only skimmed. OK so he might not yet be ready to cling to you to help you out, LOL.

But for times when his clothes are sticking to it or my arms are protesting that method, I do the hip scoot, and it really seems to work fine, if I can get a good hold of his foot to pull him over and into the ergo. But I had to practice!
#29 of 29 Old 10-14-2006, 03:13 AM

I think I must get an Ergo....thanks for the advice...

homebirth.jpgh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page