Mei Tai or Moby-type Wrap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 3 months and 16.5 lbs. I have a ring sling, but can only carry him in it facing towards me (what is that carry called?), and he only likes that when he's asleep. I would like a mei tai or a moby type wrap to use to carry him facing outward, but I don't know which would be best to get. Suggestions?
Also-- please feel free to suggest specific brands of wraps and mei tais.

note: the reason I cannot carry ds front-facing in a ring sling is because he currently has a leg brace on, and will then have to wear shoes. I don't think sitting squished on shoe-clad feet would be comfortable for him; I also don't think he would like it.

Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 12:12 PM

I didn't think you could use a mei tai with the baby facing outward. Can you?

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
I didn't think you could use a mei tai with the baby facing outward. Can you?

~Tracy
yes you can..

I would go with the mei tai...as the moby wrap will stetch out and you will have to keep retying which is a pain.

I loved my cuddlywrap(mobystyle) for the first 4 or 5 months but once he reached about 15 pounds he really started to stretch it out during long walks. Since your little guy is already 16 pounds I would go with the mei tai or something else that doesn't give as much.

You could go with something like a ella roo wrap too...it's tyes in the same way as a moby but doesn't have give to it.
#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 01:47 PM

How high up do his casts go? If they are big (like the kind used for club feet) I would not recommend carrying him facing out because his legs will dangle (even in a mei tai they'll dangle somewhat, although not as bad as a bjorn style) and those casts are heavy. We have a mom in our LLL group who is dealing with casts on her baby (for club feet) and the best solution we could come up with was to put him in sort of a sitting up cradle position, but he is smaller than your baby so I don't know if it would work for you.

The hip carry almost worked for her, but his casts were not in enough of a bent/sitting position and he had to spread his legs further than she was comfortable with.
#5 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

He doesn't have casts anymore. He has the shoes/bar brace, where two little sandals are connected by a bar, which is hip width. He wears that 23 hours a day now, but in about a month, he will only have to wear it at night and will wear shoes during the day. So, I thought that his legs dangling won't be a problem, since only his shoes will be weighing down his feet.
I was thinking the mei tai would be easier to use, and I thought the ellaroo was kind of nice too, though it seems to me it would be more time consuming to learn?
NMB-- that's pretty neat that you have a woman w/ a clubfoot baby in your LLL group. I have not encountered another parent of a cf baby who has attempted to wear him-- it's good to know I'm not alone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page