Anyone have a Kozy Carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering how wide the kozy carrier is across the body? Could you measure it for me? I am interested in comparing it to my classic ergo.

Thanks!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#2 of 17 Old 10-09-2006, 09:07 PM

It's 16" wide and 21" (or so) long.
#3 of 17 Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 PM

well since you already have the measurements you needed, just chiming in to say love love love my kozy. hope you find the kozylove!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#4 of 17 Old 10-09-2006, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
It's 16" wide and 21" (or so) long.
Thanks rubyred!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#5 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

hmmmmm.. I just looked at the measurements again. I thought the Kozy was a little wider. Any chance they changed their pattern recently?

#6 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 AM

I remember Kelley posting that their measurements goals are 17" x 22". That is basically the size of my Kozys.
#7 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking about a mei tai for my large 17lb+ 3 month old and was wondering about a kozy. I made a smiliar one before but found the body to be too wide which is why I was investigating dimensions.

What is your experience with the Kozy and young babies? I will move to the Ergo for back carries so I prob only have 4-5 real months left with it.

What do you think about the Kozy at this age?

#8 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
hmmmmm.. I just looked at the measurements again. I thought the Kozy was a little wider. Any chance they changed their pattern recently?
Well, I remeasured and the middle of the body of my Kozy is 16" -16 1/2" if you stretch it. The widest part at the top where the straps attach is 17".
#9 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about a mei tai for my large 17lb+ 3 month old and was wondering about a kozy. I made a smiliar one before but found the body to be too wide which is why I was investigating dimensions.

What is your experience with the Kozy and young babies? I will move to the Ergo for back carries so I prob only have 4-5 real months left with it.

My dds are 2 and 4 and I just started using the Kozy a couple months ago. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I used a Maya wrap sling and a Moby wrap when the girls were babies.
#10 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM

Just another voice chiming in to say I LOVE my Kozy!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#11 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I found the Kozy to be too wide for my DS at age 3 months. I felt like he was doing the splits. I know there are ways to use the Kozy when they are that little. Some people put one foot in and one foot out. Some people fold the carrier in on the sides. I just thought it was easier to buy a smaller bodied carrier.
#12 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TereasaT View Post
II just thought it was easier to buy a smaller bodied carrier.
What carrier did you use? At what age did you start Kozy-ing?

#13 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM

At 3 months, I used an old Sachi which was 13" wide. Since then, the Sachi has become wider. Even at 3 months, I thought my Freehand at 15" was a little too wide.

Of course, the old Sachi then became too narrow at some point when my DS got older and bigger. I think I comfortably started using my Kozy when DS was 7 months old.

I loved wraps at that age. They were so versatile. I was able to do back carries with wraps when DS was your baby's age. I could also do them with the Sachi.
#14 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

With ds1 I went from a mayawrap (yuck) for the first 3 months right to the Ergo. I was using a mobywrap (very cozy) until very recently with ds2. I prefer the mei tai/ergo for nursability though since I am a perpetual pedestrian. I am thinking about sewing another mei tai and just wondering what dimensions to use to get the maximum comfort for these next pre-ergo months.

Sorry to be so confusing but thanks for the advice!

#15 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 PM

www.babyhawk.com is a smaller bodied carrier that would work well.
#16 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TereasaT View Post
I found the Kozy to be too wide for my DS at age 3 months. I felt like he was doing the splits. I know there are ways to use the Kozy when they are that little. Some people put one foot in and one foot out. Some people fold the carrier in on the sides. I just thought it was easier to buy a smaller bodied carrier.
Ditto this- I found that Eleanor did not like her legs in at all and it felt very weird to me as well. We used the MeiTaiBaby Adjustable which was nice because you can make it as narrow as you need at the bottom- but they're not being made regularly anymore so you would have to find a used one. Otherwise, we used our FreeHand and just gathered in the fabric- since it is made of thinner fabric than a Kozy, it was easier to scrunch into a narrower shape. IIRC, the Babyhawk and FH have similar dimensions but don't hold me to that.
#17 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 PM

please delete, thank you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page