Pouch slings--experiences please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I read online where someone said they had a Hotsling and that it was so small that they could fold it up and put it in the purse/diaper bag when not in use. Is that true? I have an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder Ring Sling. I like it alright, definitely better than the Snugli. The Snugli hurts my shoulders/back. DS loves the OTSBH, he falls asleep in it a lot. (Even though when my MIL saw me wearing him in it, she said "He looks SO uncomfy in there!" Uh, yeah, since he stopped crying, and often falls asleep in it. But, I digress) I just really like the look of the pouch slings, like the Hotslings. So, anyone with experience want to share? What do you like about them?

Thanks
Michelle

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's exactly what I love about my pouches -- they fold up so tiny and are so easy to stuff in the diaper bag!

I also loved hotsling because the padded leg area was nice. And the bit of stretch made it more comfy.
#3 of 27 Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmevans View Post
I read online where someone said they had a Hotsling and that it was so small that they could fold it up and put it in the purse/diaper bag when not in use. Is that true? I have an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder Ring Sling. I like it alright, definitely better than the Snugli. The Snugli hurts my shoulders/back. DS loves the OTSBH, he falls asleep in it a lot. (Even though when my MIL saw me wearing him in it, she said "He looks SO uncomfy in there!" Uh, yeah, since he stopped crying, and often falls asleep in it. But, I digress) I just really like the look of the pouch slings, like the Hotslings. So, anyone with experience want to share? What do you like about them?

Thanks
Michelle
I lovved my new native. One of the best things about it was being able to stuff it in the diaper bag. I know a lot of women use them into toddlerhood but I couldn't do that. It hurt my shoulder. I swithed to a Mai Hip when dd was 6 months old. Even still, I totally loved my NNBC and recommended them to everyone.
#4 of 27 Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

My DS is 10 wks...is the pouch sling good for that age? Is the pouch one that can be used for a long time?
My OTSBH is SO big and bulky, the main thing I dont like about it.
My DH doesnt understand why I want/need another sling. Hes like, you already have one! lol
I just wish I could find a pouch for less than $40. :

Thanks for the replies!

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#5 of 27 Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 PM

i love my pouch! i use it daily for my almost 15 mo and i've warn her in it for 10 hours without a back ache. i had mine made by a local WAHM for $42 with custom fabric
#6 of 27 Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 PM

My first sling was an OTSBH. I loved it, it was comfy, easy to use. Then it got hot and bulky. I tried a maya wrap. It was great if I had it adjusted *justright* but if it was the slightest bit twisted it was horribly uncomfortable.

Then I tried the new native pouch. Perfect. I started carrying ds2 in it from teh day we came home from the hospital (day 6). I had a csection and it was fine. I carried him in it as recently as a month or so ago and he's 35ish lbs and almost 2 1/2. The BEST $40 I ever spent.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 27 Old 10-18-2006, 08:12 AM

I love pouches espeially for thier 'popability'
If your looking for one cheap, check out ebay

and

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#8 of 27 Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
I also loved hotsling because the padded leg area was nice. And the bit of stretch made it more comfy.
Even with the padding they fold up small?

#9 of 27 Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 PM

Yes, even with the padding they fold up small. The padding is only on one of the rails (edges) of the pouch and only in the center-most section.
#10 of 27 Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmevans View Post
My DS is 10 wks...is the pouch sling good for that age? Is the pouch one that can be used for a long time?
My OTSBH is SO big and bulky, the main thing I dont like about it.
My DH doesnt understand why I want/need another sling. Hes like, you already have one! lol
I just wish I could find a pouch for less than $40. :

Thanks for the replies!

I started using my pouch when Little Bear was 3 days old AND I use it for my 26 pound toddler. I've also used it on the little boy I nanny for who is 12 months old. Yes, it works GREAT and can be used for a long time!

Shannon
#11 of 27 Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 AM

I love my pouch sling. I never got the hang of ring slings and I cant begin to imaging carrying around all the fabric that some other slings are made with. I carry my 30-pound 25-mo-old in the sling five days a week to take my older dd to school (on the subway in NYC). I can pop my little one in and out very easily or fold the sling and put it in my very tiny diaper bag. I get so many curious looks from other train commuters.

I plan to continue using my pouch sling throughout the winter.
#12 of 27 Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 AM

Tried two, neither fit right. One was too small, the other sort of fit but seemed too big--hanging down too far. Until I have a chance to find one that fits me right without buying it first I will stick with wraps. I find my Ellaroo wraps fold up pretty small, as does my rebozo. They also appear to have a lower resale value than most wraps, which means I bought mine used, for not a lot of money.
#13 of 27 Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM

I had one for my youngest and loved it. First I had a handmade pouch ringsling I found at a resale shop. He would pass out in within 15 min or so. Then I bought a real pouch sling that was really thick, so as he was older it held up to his weight, which I think is an issue.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#14 of 27 Old 10-19-2006, 02:39 PM

I love love love pouches! It's the only thing we use. We've had it since she was about 2 weeks and we still use it regularly.
I like the unpadded versions because they do fit into the diaper bag really easily. They also make a great changing pad in a pinch.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#15 of 27 Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Links to your faves?
#16 of 27 Old 10-20-2006, 12:39 PM

I love hotslings and peanut shells! I especially prefer the slight stretch on the cotton stretch ones and found that easier than New Native. Still use my hotsling daily in hip carry with my 15 month old. Even with the padding it is not bulky and folds up small. But if you want it to really fold up tiny, you could get an unpadded pouch. Lucky Baby (pretty cheap) and Karma Baby don't have padding -at least mine don't, it's possible they've updated I guess. and I"m sure some others don't. It makes my son's legs a little red if he's in it for awhile, but it doesn't seem to bother him.
#17 of 27 Old 10-21-2006, 01:04 PM

Hotslings are the best!!! I love the stretch they have and the padded leg rail. My DD is 25mo and i still carry her around in my hotsling. It's so light and thin and can fit anywhere! I get so many complements on it when i'm out. And i also think it's my DD's favorite sling...and we have ALOT!!!
#18 of 27 Old 10-22-2006, 11:42 PM

I used unpadded, non adjustable pouches. They are about the size of a pillow case and I love that I can fit them in my purse! I've been using one with this baby since he was born.
#19 of 27 Old 10-23-2006, 12:29 AM

I rec'd a Heavenly Bundle for a gift, and while I haven't slung the soon-to-be-here in it yet, I have tried it out with my 16-pound cat. : Fit like a dream, although I can't figure out why she didn't cuddle up and go to sleep, it seemed like it was comfy.

Link to HB's site - and she's a WAHM, so that's a plus IMO.

DS (2 and 9 mos and 34 pounds) has also ridden around the house in it on my back and on my hip, and it's been really fun and fit great. Very nice fabric and fit. I also want a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleech Pouch, but that will have to wait until Christmas!

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#20 of 27 Old 10-24-2006, 06:45 PM

so those of you who obviously love the pouch slings..particularly the hotslings..can you nurse discreetly in it pretty well or do you end up taking baby out first?
also, how picky do you have to be about the size you get?

my ds is 9 days old and so far does not like the gypsymama wrap I got and generally seems to prefer sleeping on his own (except at night). But I have to find something because I am not carrying him around everywhere in those heavy infant seats or for going to my dd's gymnastics and other outings...
#21 of 27 Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 PM

i *like* my hotsling b/c it folds up small and i can pop ds in and out so quickly. it's good for short periods (and is unfortunately out of use today b/c ds filled it with a lake of poopoo this morning), but i don't find it comfortable for long walks or lots of activity. i also love the fabric choices, maybe the poopoo lake is a sign that i should get a second . also unfortunately, i don't really nurse discreetly--maybe i should try in the sling and let you know...
#22 of 27 Old 10-25-2006, 07:10 PM

i don't have time to read through all the responses, so sorry if i repeat-

i got a beautiful pouch to use w/ my ds and i have to say there's a learning curve with them, no matter how simple they seem!

when he was tiny, i liked it, but i was always worried he was too folded up and it was hard to get him in, but once he was in, he loved it. then he got too big to do the cradle hold, so it took awhile to learn how to have him in semi-sitting up but suppport his head. now that he's on my hip, it's great. but at each stage, it was a bit awkward.

the sizing is super important. i thought my medium was way too tight so i exchanged it for a large, and now even though my ds is bigger (and huge, i might add. like 23 or 24 pounds at 5 months) i wish i had the medium and it was more snug.

i have a sprout pouch, and it's beautiful and i like it a lot.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#23 of 27 Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 PM

My mom made me a wrap styled after the Peanut Shell (here is the pattern). It's a slightly stretchy fleece one and I totally love it! It cost about $5 to make (instead of $50 or so to buy).

I've successfully NIPed in it several times now and I keep on getting better. I just adjust my baby so there is more of the pouch in front than next to my body. That gives her easy access to my breast and there's fabric to pull over her face/my breast, too. Sometimes I have to still support her head with my elbow, but it's still way easier than hauling her around in arms!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

#24 of 27 Old 10-25-2006, 09:12 PM

I used a KangarooKorner fleece pouch for dd. She was very tiny when she 1st came home and it fit her like a dream! Since it is fleece I haven't used it over the summer but I just recently pulled it back out to use again- probably for hip wearing. For me the learning curve was short. You need to be sure the pouch fits very snug (almost uncomfortably so) because once the baby goes in, it does stretch- at least the fleece one does!

I had no problem using the cradle hold, tummy to tummy, or forward facing with her and she was only about 8 or 9 lbs when it got too warm to use.

http://www.kangarookorner.com/p-26-a...ece-pouch.aspx
#25 of 27 Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies! Its great that the ladies here are so helpful.

I won a hotsling off ebay today. So, that should be in the mail soon. We'll see how it goes! I hope we like it. *fingers crossed*

#26 of 27 Old 10-26-2006, 12:59 AM

Yes, I'm on the Hotslings bandwagon too! Love*Love*Love all 3 that we have! Wait, that's not including DH's 2..

I do and can nurse in it and do not feel it hinders anything. Though my daughter is a toddler now and so we nurse in the hip carry position. I did nurse her when she was able to be cradle carried.
#27 of 27 Old 10-26-2006, 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=Becken;6367070]My mom made me a wrap styled after the Peanut Shell (here is the pattern). It's a slightly stretchy fleece one and I totally love it! It cost about $5 to make (instead of $50 or so to buy).

what type of fabric did you use?

Do the babies get real hot in the micro fleece materials?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page