Say no to bumbos & bjorns? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i forget where i've seen this phrase--"say no to bumbos and bjorns", but i'm wondering: for those of you who say no out there, i've read the bumbo debates, but did a search and couldn't find any bjorn debates--what is meant by bjorns? are we talking the carriers, or is it another product they make?
#2 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:10 PM

I think they're referring to the carriers. Bjorn, Snugli, etc. put all the baby's weight on the crotch area, which can cause problems with the hips and spine if used frequently/long term.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#3 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post
I think they're referring to the carriers. Bjorn, Snugli, etc. put all the baby's weight on the crotch area, which can cause problems with the hips and spine if used frequently/long term.
:

-Angela
#4 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:12 PM

I believe its under kidspiration's title, but I could be wrong. I remembered it cause I agree that they are things I have said no too also

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#5 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:19 PM

I don't use on because I like slings way better but... are they bad for all babies or just the little ones?
#6 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:27 PM

They're bad for all babies considering they just get heavier and taller. The spine is *still* growing and developing rapidly, so I wouldn't put my baby in one.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#7 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 PM

What about holding babes on the hip and supporting their crotch? Now that ds is older, and cannot decide if he prefers being held or on the floor practicing crawling and walking, I ditched the carrier around the house and just hold him.

Is that bad for him?????? He is almost 11 mo.

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
#8 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 PM

when he's on your hip, is your hip the only thing holding him up? No, usually your arm is behind their back, or for me, my arm is under dd's butt.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#9 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkirche View Post
What about holding babes on the hip and supporting their crotch? Now that ds is older, and cannot decide if he prefers being held or on the floor practicing crawling and walking, I ditched the carrier around the house and just hold him.

Is that bad for him?????? He is almost 11 mo.
This is a natural way to hold a baby, so I can't see it being bad.
A sling would be easy to use, if he's going in and out frequently.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#10 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze View Post
when he's on your hip, is your hip the only thing holding him up? No, usually your arm is behind their back, or for me, my arm is under dd's butt.
Yeah. . .I am trying to picture how I hold him. . .maybe I do jsut support his bum with my arm around him. . .

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
#11 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I believe its under kidspiration's title, but I could be wrong. I remembered it cause I agree that they are things I have said no too also
Yep, it's Kidspiration's senior "title". (She's my hero. : ) I get in trouble every time I talk about this subject, so I'll say no more.
#12 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 PM

Im confused. What is the difference in support between the mei tai's and the baby bjorns? Dont they both support the baby in sitting? Or am I wrong? I did receive a bjorn from my shower, but havent used it yet, but I have been thinking of getting a mei tei (sp?)
#13 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 PM

What about the Ultimate baby wrap? I just tried mine today and liked it but it does have fabric that goes under the legs.

http://www.theultimatebabywrap.com/ubw-product.htm

http://www.breastmilk.com/the_ultima...ap_carrier.htm
#14 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanineTheOT View Post
Im confused. What is the difference in support between the mei tai's and the baby bjorns? Dont they both support the baby in sitting? Or am I wrong? I did receive a bjorn from my shower, but havent used it yet, but I have been thinking of getting a mei tei (sp?)
The mei tai has a wider base for the baby to sit in. It's more like a seat. Also, and someone on here probably has more specific knowledge, it is more natural for a baby to sit with their legs spread apart and their hips turned out. Think about how a newborn sleeps (legs in the "butterfly" position with legs turned out and knees almost touching the mattress) or how an older infant sits (again, legs turned out, knees spread).

I have a Babyhawk mei tai and love it. I had a hard time using it when dd was smaller but I got it back out at around 9 months and now she loves it--front, side, and back.
#15 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM

Edited because I asked what is wrong w/ Bumbos. I read the other thread and saw the opinions shared, and now I know how everyone feels! No need to answer my question
#16 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I think that the MTs have a wider 'base' (of fabric under the butt) that positions the baby so that their hips are more open and legs are more spread out, like a more natural position (I hope that makes sense). But the bjorn only has a base of fabric that is like 4 inches wide in the crotch, so that the baby is positioned where the legs just dangle down, not naturally. I think that puts pressure on the hips and spine.

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#17 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:23 PM

Gotcha!! Thanks!
#18 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 PM

In a MT the baby is seated (usually with bottom a bit lower than legs) and resting against mom or dad. In Bjorns and Snugglie's they are dangling and all their weight is going on their crotch.

Blessed mama of four
::
#19 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
Meant to ask--what is technically wrong with bumbos? I never got one because I thought it was a waste of money, and I thought it was unnatural for 3-month-olds to be sitting up unless in mom's lap. Is there something else?
My thoughts too. When I needed my baby to sit with out me she reclined in a "bouncy seat" for lack of a beter word. This helped with not as much spit up after feedings.

Bumbos were rather new when my youngest was a baby.
#20 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

Ack, try searchng for the most recent looooong thread on bumbo's. You will find people will say they arrange baby's legs and hips in a bad way. One of those "developed for premies and then mass marketed" products...
#21 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 PM

I found it. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=bumbo

if anyone else is intrested.
#22 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
In a MT the baby is seated (usually with bottom a bit lower than legs)
The same is true for bumbos, so why is a MT ok and bumbo isn't?

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#23 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomof5 View Post
What about the Ultimate baby wrap? I just tried mine today and liked it but it does have fabric that goes under the legs.

http://www.theultimatebabywrap.com/ubw-product.htm

http://www.breastmilk.com/the_ultima...ap_carrier.htm
Wraps need to be used the right way and that means that the material doesn't bunch up in the crotch area but supports the whole bum and upper thighs.... It is hard to use a wrap the right way in the facing out position... but this is one of the reasons that the facing out position isn't optimal...
I can't find the link right now about the other worries about the sumo carry but maybe someone else here can....

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#24 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
In general, IME, the baby faces you in the Mei Tai, so his hips are "raised" a little. I don't know how to explain it any better than that but in seeing babies in both and doing reading on the subject, something about having the baby facing you while being carried is a big plus in their spine/hip developement, something about the angle of the legs in that position. For some reason the Germans in particular seem obsessed with making sure babies' legs are in this correct position while being carried or worn.

Babies in Bjorns, on the other hand, always look so awkward and wrong. Their legs just hang there.
#25 of 70 Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 PM

Ooops.. I responded instead of starting a new thread.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#26 of 70 Old 10-26-2006, 04:13 PM

Is there any actual research to support the concerns about baby hips and spines, or is it all hypothesis?
#27 of 70 Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

so, since it is the baby bjorn style carriers we are talking about saying no to (if i understand correctly), i am wondering this: does anyone know of a carrier that is good for both mom and baby's back? i like my sling for short periods, but find my neck and back begin to protest and use the first journey for walks (or in the case of the poopoo lake in my sling), or when i need to feel he is more secure in there. combining my sling use with bfing, wonder if i am going to come out of this being able to stand up straight, or even walk??? i also wonder about the facing in thing, because ds says a lot more than "no" if i try to put him facing in anymore ! any knowledge, info, or experience on carriers for baby & mom's spinal health?
#28 of 70 Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 PM

That is when I use my Mei-Tei. I can either put her on my back or my chest. I see that your ds is almost 4 months old,

nak now

check out the tp or www.babywearer.com

#29 of 70 Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress View Post
so, since it is the baby bjorn style carriers we are talking about saying no to (if i understand correctly), i am wondering this: does anyone know of a carrier that is good for both mom and baby's back? i like my sling for short periods, but find my neck and back begin to protest and use the first journey for walks (or in the case of the poopoo lake in my sling), or when i need to feel he is more secure in there. combining my sling use with bfing, wonder if i am going to come out of this being able to stand up straight, or even walk??? i also wonder about the facing in thing, because ds says a lot more than "no" if i try to put him facing in anymore ! any knowledge, info, or experience on carriers for baby & mom's spinal health?
Personally, I think the best is a wrap..... it supports and hugs the baby everywhere and the weight is distribted over the whole back or front (depending of course of the hold that you use)

The two main holds I use are wrap cross carries (back and front) I can have ds on my back for hours without hurting (with the material spead across my chest) and because they are held so close and the center of gravity is pretty much the same the weight just almost dissapears...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#30 of 70 Old 10-26-2006, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

oh no!! i've been wondering for months what 'nak' means--i know it's ot, but i don't know what 'nak now' means...please explain

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page