Ergo vs Beco? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was perfectly thrilled to get a plain black Ergo until I learned about the beautiful Beco. I have only ever seen an Ergo in person so that's all I have to really compare. It looks like the chest strap has been replaced by side straps. Are there more buckles? Are the shapes enough the same to call them the same thing? Are the weight capabilities the same?

If it makes any difference, DS is 11mo and last time we weighed him he was 27# and is over 30" tall. He's a long-torso'd guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 AM

I have an Ergo and the Beco, and they have the same number of straps and buckles. The shapes are fairly similar, but the Beco has a longer body and the Ergo has darts on the bottom. The longer body on the Beco means that the babe fits more snuggly against you and can't lean back as much, which I think makes for a more comfy carry. But, with the longer body, a smallish baby might not be able to ride arms out. I also don't think I'd like the Beco for a newborn (but then, I didn't like the Ergo with a newborn either). I got the Beco when DD was 18 months, and she alternates between having her arms either out or in. As far as the darts on the bottom of the Ergo, they make a bigger pouch for the baby's bottom to fit into--I've never found this to make much of a difference for us--DD easily fits down into the bottom. The weight limits are essentially the same. Other differences--the fabric of the Ergo is much heavier, which feels sturdier to me but also means more weight (and bulkiness when you're not wearing it). The Beco has nicer fabric choices (looks and feels more like a MT). And the Beco is WAHM made, rather than made in China.

They're both great carriers! You really can't go wrong with either one!
#3 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 09:54 AM

I've never heard of the Beco. Anyone have a link?
#4 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I've never heard of the Beco. Anyone have a link?
www.ecobabies.com

Similar carriers are the Loveseat Buckle Tie, Tentoes Click,
Yamo Baby Carrier
#5 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 11:42 PM

While I think the bECO carriers are GORGEOUS, they do not have the same comfort as the ERGO's. But that's just the opinion of my husband and me with our 15mo, 21lb dd.
#6 of 8 Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 AM

I have 2 bECOs and 2 Ergos and if I had to choose, I would definitely choose a bECO. The Ergo is made of sturdy canvas so it's a great workhorse carrier, but that also makes it more bulkier to me.

I love the gorgeous fabrics of the bECO. It's made of a lighterweight fabric, but I love that I can fold it up smaller. It also comes with a stay put strap so you can roll up the body and wear it around your waist without any dangling straps hanging down.

As far as comfort, I prefer the bECO to the Ergo. I think the Ergo feels a little too bulky for me. I also feel like I'm going to go backpacking. I'm petite and thin so that might have something to do with it.

The Ergo does have that nifty zippered pocket which can come in handy.

I do think they are both great carriers which is why I have 2 of each.
#7 of 8 Old 11-07-2006, 02:01 AM

I'm about 5'6" and 118lbs-- not quite petite but I'm not large by any means. I really like the sturdyness of the ERGO and don't feel it's super bulky. Sure, it takes up more room than say my Hotslings Pouch but I still take it where ever I'm going.

I had the opportunity to wear a 4th gen bECO and had it on for about 4 hours while checking out 5 houses on the "Street of Dreams" and had such a hard time with wearing dd. No matter how many times I adjusted it, my knees started to ache as did my back and shoulders. I was in need of a serious adjustment afterwards. On the other hand, I've taken my daughter to open house events where I'm showcasing my products and have worn her nearly the entire 8 hours for 3 days and wasn't in as bad of shape as I was with the bECO. But I still want one just because it's SOOOO pretty!!!

I think it'll just come down to preference. I've heard many mamas LOVE their bECO's and other that LOVE their ERGO's. To LittleLlama, there's no need to second guess your purchase of the ERGO-- this just means that you'll have to get a bECO too!
#8 of 8 Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha546 View Post
To LittleLlama, there's no need to second guess your purchase of the ERGO-- this just means that you'll have to get a bECO too!
I don't have either yet... I'm jsut thinking I'll have to tell DH they have to be purchased together

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page