MAKING a moby-type wrap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-17-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I am out $40 and have no Moby to show for it (see my previous thread), and my baby is due ANY MOMENT, I've decided to save some money and make my own wrap. Is there anyone who can tell me the proper dimentions? I know I need 5 yards of cotton. What width does it need to be, and at what length do I need to start narrowing the ends to tie?
I REALLY appreciate any help.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#2 of 3 Old 11-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Here's some Cotton jersey which is comparable to the fabric of Moby's (Moby is itnerlock, which means it doesn't have a "wrong" side unlike jersey). You can make two to three slings with the width of that fabric (I believe a Moby is about 20" in width).

Also, here's a Cotton gauze from the same site. Gauze can typically be used for heavier children as well since it's not a very strechy fabric like jersey or interlock.

If you're interested in organic options, I can also try to point you to some.
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM

BTW, just wanted to mention that with jersey you don't have to sew the edges, because they won't unravelly.

I believe gauze may also not be finicky about this, though I'd suggest verifying this with someone who's more familiar with this fabric.

Also, go to this site for instructions to make a wrap:
http://www.mamatoto.org/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page