How to explain babywearing to non-beleivers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsMum View Post
Wow, so many of you have had positive comments!! I've tried saying many of the things you have all pointed out. But somehow they always come back with something negative. Like when I say "It makes her happier" they say shes manipulating me. If I say "It makes me happier too" they then say I'm obsessed with her - I mean I can't win!! I think the next elderly person who says the line "You're making a rod for your own back" I think I may actually explode. A lot of the time I don't even put buby in a sling - She reall doesn't seem to like it But every now and then I try, but most of the time I just carry her round. Slightly inconvenient but still makes her happier, and in turn makes me happier. And with co-sleeping. That makes us both a lot happier!
These are strangers, right? Then might I suggest "Do I know you? No? Then mind your own business, you know nothing about babywearing and it's clear that you're too *UA violation* to learn."
#32 of 36 Old 11-21-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
The funniest one, though, when my nephew was 1 month, my SIL's grandmother told her that he wasnt getting enough exercise because she wore him in a Hotslings all the time.
I hear quite often that babies need to cry to clear their lungs out, that it's how they get exercise." In the US a baby's crying is measured in hours. The LLL book I read a while back, OTOH, says that in some babywearing /
breastfeeding cultures the infants cry an average of 30 seconds at a time.

Maybe she's not spending enough time crying that she's not "getting her exercise" ?

When your infant grows up unable to speak above a whisper or woefully underdeveloped due to his/her not having the opportunity to go into total meltdown, let me know. Until then, I think I'll just keep doing what my instincts tell me to do.
#33 of 36 Old 11-22-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGrin View Post
When your infant grows up unable to speak above a whisper or woefully underdeveloped due to his/her not having the opportunity to go into total meltdown, let me know. Until then, I think I'll just keep doing what my instincts tell me to do.
So true. And in all honesty I'd rather have a quiet "whispering" happy child, than a loud unhappy one, KWIM?

Some of these people are strangers, some are friends - Or family of close friends. I think I'll stick with sapphire_chans suggestion: "Do I know you? No? Then mind your own business, you know nothing about babywearing and it's clear that you're too *UA violation* to learn."
#34 of 36 Old 11-22-2006, 05:29 PM

First of all don't ever feel like you should have to make excuses for doing what is best for your baby I am constantly finding myself defending my choice to wear and co-sleep.

My mother is always telling me that I spoil my DS, and I need to put him down or he will never learn to crawl! lol She also reminds me that she would never have let any of us sleep in her bed b/c of what it would have done to her sex life?? No imagination, or spontaneity I guess
The funny thing is that in the same breath she comments on what a good calm, quiet baby he is. Go figure.

My feeling is this. I don't think God (or whatever your belief is) gave us little ones to carry and keep safe and warm in our wombs for nine months- to later throw them in a crib that resembles a cage with no body warmth or heart beat, and push them around in a cold stroller as if they were a germ on parade. There is a reason why our babies love to be close and warm-b/c it is the way God & nature intended it

Here is a link to some great babywearing articles written by a doctors. They go over some great points and scientific advantages. Maybe it will help you give them something to think about.

http://www.didymos.de/english/index_e.htm
#35 of 36 Old 11-22-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I think it's kind of funny, I hear all of these stories about woman who get all these rude comments, people that stop them on the street, etc to tell them wacky things about wearing a sling. I've never had this happen . I mean, sure, the random person here and there asking where I got it or something....maybe I just don't notice or people don't want to talk to me I've only had little comments on a nice note
:

Reneé, 33 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 nocirc.gif and Arianna 9/06 gd.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 blowkiss.gif.  TTC a little rainbow rainbow1284.gifchartnew.gif http://www.FertilityFriend.com/home/4e4ac9 Currently in the 2WW 
#36 of 36 Old 11-23-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Babies don't last long. Soon enough I'll be chasing her.

Holding your baby instills a strong sense of trust in you and the world at large.

They fuss less if held more.

No, they aren't that heavy.

Spoil a baby? Only milk spoils.

Is this true! I was just looking at my 2 boys and thinking how big they are!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page