Ring Sling- newborn issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a gorgeous organic cotton ring sling.....a gift from my brother. I absoltulty love it, but have not had much success yet with baby...she's only 12 days old and she's cried when i've put her in it
Anyway....do you think that she may be too little for a ring sling? The demo video shows a 6 week old baby happily settling into it, but not a tiny newborn. I want to start babywearing right away though. I feel bad rushing out and getting another sling as this one is definitly quality and will be great for when she's older.
Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2006, 04:42 PM

I would suggest putting her in the sling, putting on some music and dancing around! That's what worked for us, the first few times we used it. I would dance around, and the music combined with the movement settled her right down, and she fell asleep. After the first few times, she did really well and fell asleep right away.

CPST & mom

Old 12-22-2006, 05:36 PM

Congratulations! Is it possible that you're feeling nervous about it, and she's picking up on it? If not, maybe try a different hold, such as upright - in front - and have plenty of movement like an_aurora suggested. I've worn all four of my kiddos in ring slings when they were infants. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:00 PM

Just keep trying. I found it awkward getting into the sling at first and baby wasn't impressed either. A little practice made it more comfortable for both of us. Try the tummy-to-tummy carry.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
Just keep trying. I found it awkward getting into the sling at first and baby wasn't impressed either. A little practice made it more comfortable for both of us. Try the tummy-to-tummy carry.
:
Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 PM

I agree to keep trying....

My son NEVER liked to be confined....he hated being swaddled from day 1 (and had been stretching like CRAZY for the last couple weeks of my pregnancy!), and would cry if his feet touched the arm of the chair....

By the time I even heard of slings, he was already almost 2 months old, and 16 lbs., and he HATED the cradle carry.

I tried and tried, but it was no use. He hated the Buddha position, too. Thankfully, he LOVED the hip carry once he turned about 5 months, and he still does!

With my next, I plan to start using the sling right from the beginning. I think if you persevere, she will eventually get used to it.

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 PM

I had the same issue when DD was brand new. Only in the past week or so did she finally start liking the sling and getting comfy in it (she's 5.5 weeks old). I found it too deep, and too bulky in the beginning. Try what the others have suggested, and maybe wait two or three more weeks to get the hang of it, and in the meantime, would you be willing to try a wrap? I find that works fabulously in the beginning...I "made" mine for $3! There are "no sew" instructions on the mamatoto site, that's what I used. There's a picture of me wearing her in it on our site (click her name)...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get LOTS of use out of your lovely sling soon enough!

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
Old 12-24-2006, 02:00 AM

DS is 7 wks old, and it really just took us practice to get used to the ring sling, and now he likes it. For the first 4 weeks of his life, he would lie down in his hotsling in a cradle position; he started getting too big for that, so I switched to a tummy to tummy position in the ring sling, and he does better. He's holding his head up, so it's been getting better because he can see out. Just keep being patient. I know it's hard right now, but it'll get better. I liked the idea about music and dancing around. My little guy loves movement in the sling, too. At Borders tonight, he would start fussing in the sling if I sat down, but when I stood up and walked around, he calmed right down. Good luck!

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 12-24-2006, 07:29 PM

Like the pp said, keep trying. It took me a few trys to get the hang of it, and ds those trys to decide he was okay with it. Now he loves it (8 wks)...I can pop him in there and he'll doze off while I'm doing whatever I need to do. Folks at church are always so amazed at how I can just carry on and am not bogged down with him. It took about a week to figure it out. I just kept going back to the wearing instructions online until we found a comfortable position. I really like pulling the inner rail up to my breasts, pulling in a lot of slack in the middle, placing him in against my chest so that he sits about where he would if I were carrying him on my shoulder, then tighten the outer rail. Good luck and enjoy, you'll figure it out soon and be in love with your sling...I know I am!!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:50 PM

I too am having trouble with our ring slings

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-26-2006, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
nak

in the beginning, dd only liked the sling if she was already asleep when i put her in it. then there were two instances when i realized that this might work out after all. first was when dh and i walked down to the movie rental place and he wore her. with the movement she fell right asleep with minimal fuss. then there was a day i had which followd a very sleep deprived night and dd would not sleep at all, despite being fed, changed, fed, carried (w/o sling), rocked, etc. i put her in the sling and she did fuss. i went to the living room and was standing ip watching tv, and swaying while i did that. i did about three or four "sways" and all of a sudden dd was quiet and asleep. it was like magic.

i've now even managed to position her to nurse on either side of the sling (while still having the rings on the same shoulder). i want to echo what everyone else said. and also reiterate that motion is key. those first couple of times when dd didn't like the sling, i put her in it but then didn't do anything but sit there.

hth

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:24 PM

my 2 babes that I have carried from birth in the ring slings really only liked the tummy to tummy with their feet tucked into the fabric of the sling. This way they were held very close to my heart and were snug as a bug. I just recently showed this carry to my naturopath who'se new baby was not liking the sling and she loved it! The only time I really was ever able to use a cradle hold was if I was nursing but I usually just nursed in the tummy to tummy position. It's still my DD's favorite carry at 21 mths.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:28 PM

I recommend offering the breast while in the sling - DS loved to nurse in the sling and would stay snuggled in for hours. HTH!

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 12-27-2006, 06:25 PM

I agree... keep trying!

I have instructions on my site. there is also a link to the maya video.

www.ckgraphicsonline.com/instructions

Good luck!

User Tag List