would you approach mom wearing sling the "wrong" way? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato271828 View Post

On the other hand, I have been so tempted to say sometihng to those women who smugly carry around their babies in Baby Bjorns and other similar carriers. They look so uncomfortable for both baby and mom/dad I wonder that they can wear them for more than a few minutes. But I don't think they would appreciate my comments about the negative aspects of those carriers and would probably just think I am trying to be mean rather than helpful.
I would certainly have not appreciated that kind of negative comment when we used to have DD in her bjorn. We had the bjorn, a wrap, and a pouch, and the only carrier she liked was the bjorn. The wrap facing outward she would tolerate for very short periods, but the bjorn she was happy as clams. And when she was smaller they're not uncomfortable at all. We don't put her in the bjorn anymore since shes so heavy, so now her preferred method of transport is a framed backpack (Sherpani ultralight). She'll only tolerate my mei tai if she's really tired.
#32 of 38 Old 01-02-2007, 06:25 PM

People usually come to me when Im wearing him and ask me how I do that...because their baby doesnt look that way when they do it.
#33 of 38 Old 01-02-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
Wow, that's great news I have a 98 (or so) Toyota Corolla.
The part# should be 73709-12010 Bracket assembly, tether anchor. It says it sells for $12, but they should put 1 in for free and then you might have to buy the rest.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#34 of 38 Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 PM

I've approached and helped sling-wearers before, when they had the sling twisted badly, or had it hanging down way far or something.

What I did was ask "How do you like your sling?" In each instance, I got an "I'm trying to get used to it" kind of answer, so it was only after that that I said that I could show them a way to get it more comfortable and secure. I wasn't turned down in either instance!
#35 of 38 Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 AM

I've done it several times now...all with ring slings. I do it because I used to wear my daughter all wrong and almost gave up on babywearing because I couldn't get her in the darn otsbh right. I read the babywearing section of The Baby Book over and over again, but it never helped. So, when I finally got educated on sling wearing, I felt almost like it was my duty to help people! Not people who have it on their necks or have it twisted, but I've approached several moms who have their babies in the sling either so low and loose that the baby is flopping out, or so messed up that they have to hold on to them (like virtually sitting on the rings!). In every case, they have been soooooo grateful, even though I think it was weird at first. I get nervous, but I don't want them to give up like I almost did.
#36 of 38 Old 01-14-2007, 05:10 AM

I might say, "Hey you might not know but you've got a twist in your back. That might get uncomfortable after a while. Would you like a hand in fixing it?" Then switch to complementing how cute her baby and the sling is and how wonderful they are in so many positions, etc.
#37 of 38 Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 AM

I do this all the time. I just walk up to people and ask them about their carrier. Ask if it's comfortable and do they like it. Then if it's clearly fixable in 30 seconds or less, I say, "Hey, can I show you a trick with this?"

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#38 of 38 Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 PM

If it looked like the baby was in danger of falling out then I might say something but otherwise I wouldn't. I often wear my wrap in unusual ways because it's easier for me to tie it like that, put ds in that way etc.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page