Opinions on Wilkinet vs. Ergo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have a wrap but I'm just not beign able to get DD up on my back with it, so I need to find an option because she's huge (about 28 inches and 20 pounds at 6 months : ) and I can't wear her on my front and get stuff done anymore.

So I've heard good things about the Ergo, but I'm not sure if I'd like the waistband clipping around me in the front, you know what I mean? I'm pretty short (5 feet), and I've found I like the comfort factor of a wrap a lot.

I found this carrier a while ago and had been thinking about it (and thanks to the mama who redirected me to it after I forgot the name!) - does anyone have a Wilkinet? Wilkinet

If you do have an Ergo, would you humor me and check out this other carrier online and let me know what you think? Here's a link to a video of doing the back carry with it. Wilkinet back carrywhich looks pretty easy to me, and looks to me personally a little bit more comfortbale than the Ergo (but I could be wrong, and I also realize comfort is subjective).

Thanks for your opinions!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#2 of 21 Old 01-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Hmm, no experience with a Wilkinet but what I have heard weren't the kinds of raves I hear about the Ergo.

If you don't want a buckle around your waist, have you tried a mei tai or even better, if you want to eliminate the waist straps all together how about a Podaegi or Onbuhimo- only one set of straps to deal with.
www.freehandbaby.com sells all three types.

What exactly draws you to the Wilkinet- what features do you like about it- maybe there are other carriers out there that have similar ones. I've seen the Wilkinet and it seems a little overwhelming to me with all those straps and loops.
JMO.
Good Luck deciding
#3 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 PM

I have an ergo and I have to say that after watching that video I can't believe she can breathe ( the momma i mean). The ergo hooks at your waist not your belly button so it goes around you hips. Kinda like the way a low rise pair of jeans fits. whether you are skinny or fat or normal weight, it is comfortable because it is a wide strap ( about 3 inches ) and is padded and adjustable. also, the clasp is super stong. The wilkenet looks like if the tie around your middle came loose and you were carrying a basket of laundry your baby would fall to the floor! Not good. I can definently vouch for the comfort I have with the Ergo. My son just turned 3 and at 35 pounds just outgrew it. We didn't use it very often this past year as he is a big boy now, but since he was about 1 ( when I got it) we have been using it to go horseback riding. We are a very involved horse loving family. I wanted to make sure my son could go with us and I had tried a metal frame carrier -like a hiking pack- and it was extremely uncomfortable on my back, not to mention for his little legs and bottom. When we got the ergo I fell in love . He sits in a natural scoop position so it is not dangerous for his spine, and the weight of him is on my hips not my back or shoulders. You can wear the ergo front or back depending on the size of your baby. I would definetly recommend the ergo both for comfort of you and the baby and for safety. Let me know if you have any other question about it!
#4 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 04:39 PM

I just watched the Wilkinet back carry video- (sorry didn't get a chance before) and honestly, a mei tai is almost the same idea but simpler IMO. If you don't mind buckles and a wide waist belt, I say go for the Ergo but if you'd rather not have a wide waist belt (that as pp said, actually sit on the hips), then go for a mei tai. There are many out there. One of the most popular ones are Kozy, Babyhawk, and Freehand.

ETA: If you like wraps- the Maya Tie MT (www.mayatie.com) and the BallBaby Overall MT (www.haveaballbaby.com) have wide wrap like shoulder straps.
#5 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 PM

I just watched the video and I must say that looks like a lot of work just to put the baby on your back. I'm super lazy and would want something fast and easy that can be used anywhere. I have the Ergo and loved it. I also have 2 older kids who are alway on the go. When I was watching the video I kept thinking about trying to get everyone out of a car quickly. How would you put that on in a parking lot with no where to sit. With the Ergo I strap on the wast band take baby/toddler out lay them on my back and put the shoulder straps on. It's takes about 30 seconds. And it is very comfortable. What about the waist strap on the ergo do you not like? I like that the strap is pretty low on you waist and can usually be covered by my shirt. Another good thing about how low the strap is, is that I can still wear it with my pregnant belly, it straps bellow the belly.
#6 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 PM

I have an Ergo - which I love wearing baby on the front and back. But I do like the headrest that the other carrier has. Ergo has none and when baby falls asleep on my back I have to use the removable headstrap thing, which I don't really like.

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
#7 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM

Honestly the wilkinet looks really uncomfortable to me. I'd definatly sugest a mei tai or an ergo. Or maybe a becopack or patapum. What exatly about the ergo waist strap don't you like the look of? Maybe that will help us give you better suggestions. And I don't know where you live, but where I'm at (in a small town) there are at least 2 places that carry the ergo in stalk you can try it on before buying it. Maybe try calling around the baby boutique-type places near you and see if anyone has it?
#8 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 03:48 AM

Um, I don't think I'd even want to try the Wilkinet. I love my ERGO and don't have any issues with the waist strap. In fact, I love it because then I really don't feel all the weight and pressure of my munchkin!

There's a reason the ERGO gets rave reviews. It's been tried and tested and offers a lot for what you pay for. A super investment, in my opinion.
#9 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Wilkinet operates kind of like a cross between an onbuhimo and a more structured carrier. The Ergo is more like a MT, but with buckles in place of ties. I would say that both could be quite comfy (have not tried the Wilkinet) but if you're having trouble with a back carry with a wrap, the Ergo will probably be easier than the Wilkinet. You could probably get either with a little practice, but go with whatever you think will be easiest on you. If you don't want buckles, I would probably just say go with any MT. Is there any store near you where you could try on the Ergo? Or do you have a NINO meeting to attend? There I'm sure you'd find both Ergos and MTs if not Wilkinets to try on.
#10 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 AM

IIRC, Ergo has a satisfaction guarentee (90 days I think). You could always try it and if you don't like it, return it.

But you can also get Ergos and mei tais at a store like www.attachedtobaby.com and they have an awesome retirn and exchange policy. I've purchased from them many times
#11 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Where in upstate ny are you? I'm in Albany

I know a couple of NINO groups are starting up around here
#12 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Wow ladies, thanks!

Um, I think my concern iwth the waist strap/buckle is that I'm raher, erm, hippy and very short (5 feet) and I'm worried it's going to sit up too high on me and be uncomfortable.

I'll have to see if I can find a place with an Ergo in stock...cause that would probably be my best bet, to actually try it on.

And after all this, I think I might have decided just on a MeiTai!

I'm in the Binghamton, NY area, BTW, so nowhere near enough to Albany, but thanks!!!

#13 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love my wilkinet o my front but I never really got on with it on my back. It was really easy to get DD on my back but I found the straps a bit narrow and they cut in at the waist. I could only wear it for half an hour or so and DD is pretty light. It did feel very secure though and did get used for housework.

I've never tries an ergo so I can't compare but I wouldn't buy a wilkinet for back carries.
#14 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
Wow ladies, thanks!

Um, I think my concern iwth the waist strap/buckle is that I'm raher, erm, hippy and very short (5 feet) and I'm worried it's going to sit up too high on me and be uncomfortable.

I'll have to see if I can find a place with an Ergo in stock...cause that would probably be my best bet, to actually try it on.

And after all this, I think I might have decided just on a MeiTai!

I'm in the Binghamton, NY area, BTW, so nowhere near enough to Albany, but thanks!!!
Hmm, I can't think of any NINO groups near Binghampton.
But honestly mei tais are awesome, there is a lot of variety depending on what you're looking for in terms of features. Good Luck!
#15 of 21 Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

After all that, I ordered a Beco.

SHould be here in a few days, and I hope I love it! If not, I'll return it right away and get an MT.

#16 of 21 Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
After all that, I ordered a Beco.

SHould be here in a few days, and I hope I love it! If not, I'll return it right away and get an MT.

Oooh I love Becos! Its currently my favorite carrier. Which fabric did you get?
#17 of 21 Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

This one

I love black and bright colors, and thought the pattern was cool. I'll let you know what I htink of it when I get it.

#18 of 21 Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 of 21 Old 01-13-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
This one

I love black and bright colors, and thought the pattern was cool. I'll let you know what I htink of it when I get it.
I found you! I'm in serch go a carrier let me know if you like it after a day trip use! I need something for hikking and vaccuming.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#20 of 21 Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 AM

Hi, I know you've chosen the Beco (which looks really lovely - kind of an Ergo/Mei Tai best bits!)... but having been reading the board for a while decided to register when I read this thread.

I own both a Wilkinet and an Ergo so thought I could give a my own for and against for both of them... (and these are just my own humble opinion of course... but thought it might help)

Wilkinet
+ It's really, really comfortable (definitely the most comfortable front carrier I've used). It seems to mould round you and the baby creating a real cocoon feel.
+ Like a lot of well designed slings it distributes the weight very evenly and doesn't drag or dig in anywhere.
+ Has lots of head support and protection for baby - also holds them in the 'frog' position
+ It folds up small for going in the car or the coat hooks
+ It has a facing out on the front position - my son's favourite when he was about 5 months (he loved 'flirting' with anyone who would give him a smile)
+ Transfers baby's weight onto hips and legs (not shoulders and neck)
- It does take a little practice to learn (but don't all decent slings?) but once you've learnt it it's like second nature
- It has a back carry position, but it's not as good a back carrier as an Ergo for older kids. I still carried my 18 month old in the Wilkinet, but now he's two I tend to only use the Ergo

Ergo
+ The most comfortable back carrier I've ever used (I borrowed a Karrimor the other day and couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was!)
+ Design means the weight goes onto your hips/legs (I love the way the baby basically sits on the waist band)
+ Clips in the right places - it's nice to find a carrier with clips that don't dig in and make it simpler to use
- Not great for young babies - I know they've got the insert, but it's still not as good as the Wilkinet or other slings
- Because it carries the child so low they don't have much of a view (my son often leans to the side to see round me)
- It's a bit big and clumsy for storage compared to way other sligns can fold up small to go in a bag.

Of the two if I had to choose a favourite it would be the Wilkinet, but given we're never just restricted to one sling then I'm happy to own both.

Hope that helps, and hope you enjoy your Beco!
#21 of 21 Old 01-13-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cool, glad you found the Beco love. You don't hear as much about them as the Ergo but I adore the Beco!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page