Do you like your Ergo (especially compared to a MT)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-03-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my MT. I really do. I have always liked a double-shouldered carrier better. I also love my wrap, but for running errands the MT was way easier (for me). BUT, I am noticing that now she's getting bigger and heavier that it is getting less and less comfortable, mostly I think because of the way it crosses in back. I saw someone at the mall today with an ergo and stalked her for a while so I could gawk at it ( ) and now I want one! I also think the Ergo won't push my fat rolls out like the MT does when crossed.

So, how do you Ergo users like it compared to your MT's?

I've been looking for a gently used one and can't find one. Feel free to spam me!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#2 of 27 Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 PM

I prefer my Ergo to my MTs (Kozy and Freehand). I find the Ergo much more comfortable now that DS is big and heavy (about 32 lbs). Also, I like how I don't have to re-adjust the Ergo as frequently when we are out and about, and I *really* like how even people unfamiliar with babywearing don't find the Ergo too difficult or intimidating to use... it means that other people can carry DS and give me a break

But I know that some people like their MTs better! It's personal preference.
#3 of 27 Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 PM

I LOVE the Ergo and just traded for an Onbu so I'll let you know

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#4 of 27 Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 PM

I actually sold my MT to buy my Ergo and I LOVE my Ergo so much more than I loved my MT!!

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#5 of 27 Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 PM

I am one of few people it seems who prefer my MT to the ergo, and I really think it's because I'm a small person (5ft2, small build). I found the shoulder straps and waist belt too bulky, they were quite uncomfortable/annoying.

I also didn't like some aspects of the buckling up procedure, but I dare say this would be a cinch after getting lots of practice (I gave up and bought a MT instead).

I love that the MT has far less bulk, and I can tie it different ways according to the situation.

I am keeping the ergo for a little while longer to see if dh will use it, particularly as ds gets bigger - he's now 9 months, about 21 pounds. I can use the MT for a few hours at a time, no problem, but later... we'll see.

HTH, Brooke
#6 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM

I LOVE my Ergo and so does dd. I like it much more than my Kozy and Freehand MT. It is so much more comfortable and even easier to get on and off. I don't know what I would have done without it. Honestly, my poor MTs almost never get used anymore since I always reach for the Ergo, but they are so pretty that I haven't been able to part with them. I really need to sell them.

coolshine.gif

#7 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 AM

I absolutely love my ergo. I didnt try a sling this time as I felt like they were uncomfortable to me with the last baby. I've been using the ergo since she was 4 mos old and am still loving it at 11 mos and love that I can use it up til she's like 5.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#8 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat for the same reasons.

I've actually decided to buy an Ergo, but waiting for tomorrow (in like 5mins) for what seems to be the cheapest Canadian site to accept sales after their holiday break. Once I get it I'll decide whether my MTB is worth keeping.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#9 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 02:03 AM

I don't have an Ergo but I have another structured carrier- a Beco - and I have to say now that I'm wearing a toddler, I do prefer it to my MT. Its just quicker, no dangling straps to deal with and it shifts the weight off my shoulders and to my hips.

My favorite thing about the Beco is that I can still get a pretty fabric like an MT. Its the best of both worlds!
#10 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
I LOVE my Ergo and so does dd. I like it much more than my Kozy and Freehand MT. It is so much more comfortable and even easier to get on and off. I don't know what I would have done without it. Honestly, my poor MTs almost never get used anymore since I always reach for the Ergo, but they are so pretty that I haven't been able to part with them. I really need to sell them.
same here..just ds instead of a dd
#11 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 AM

I'm an ERGO lover too. I have an ER MT and while it's great, it's not quick and not as comfortable IMO. I really, really love the ease and comfort of the ERGO. DH loves it and he's a Chiropractor
#12 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 AM

I LOVE my ergo ever since I got it for X-mas I cannot stop wearing my baby, even DH said " is that all you do is carry her around on your back) All other carrier I have are unfomfortable after A short time due to low back problems, and this is my most comfotable by far I can where it the longest w/ out pain its great. I don't know why I waited so long to buy it DD is 24 lb 8 month baby and LOVES it too! IF she fighting sleep I just poop her in and go for a walk and she out like a light!!!! I cannot tell you enough that I lovew IT!

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#13 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM

I LOVE my MTs. I hated the Ergo. I couldn't get dd as close to my body.

-Angela
#14 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 02:56 PM

I love my ergo! Much less slump for me and more support.
#15 of 27 Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM

I don't like my Ergo. I am keeping it for when my DD is bigger to try it later.

She's always trying to stand up on the waistband and it seems like she is hanging back too far.

I also seems too bulky for me to wear around the house.
#16 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 AM

I got the ergo for Christmas and am loving it I have a MT that I got for my daughter but haven't used it with DS. He has his arms free and is so happy in there (he was starting to dislike being constricted in the wrap) and it is so so comfortable.
DS is only 5 months and about 16# so still small, but I can wear him for hours (and with him on the front it nicely hides the flabby belly )

tara
#17 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't like our Ergo mainly because I'm not an "outdoorsy" kind of person. I don't like my belly being cut in half by the waist strap and all my bulge pouring out over it - and I'm not a fan of setting it lower because it pulls down my pants!

I use the Ergo, though, over our MTs because I have yet to get a MT that fits my body (the ones we have are smaller). Though I prefer the softness and lightweightness of the MT. The Ergo is easier when cleaning house.
#18 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 AM

I have a sutemi www.sutemigear.com that I love more than my Kozy. I don't like the straps of a mei tei, I like the backpack style straps for easy adjusting.
#19 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 AM

I don't have an MT, but I have a lot of other carriers, and I am favoring the Ergo right now. My guy is almost 30 lbs, and I am very slight, with narrow shoulders. The Ergo is the only carrier I have found that really supports ds on my hips, which takes the strain off my shoulders and lower back. I like the adjustability of the Ergo, and I can take long walks in it. One thing, though, is that I need to keep it very tight to keep it from falling off my narrow shoulders, which cuts off the circulation if I am talking on the phone or really working my arms. However, I have that problem with all straps because of my shape, from the lowest tech wrap to the fanciest frame pack, so I really think it is me, not the sling.
#20 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I noticed this in the pictures on their site and wondered about that. Did you find it effected your back after wearing it for a while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
I don't like our Ergo mainly because I'm not an "outdoorsy" kind of person. I don't like my belly being cut in half by the waist strap and all my bulge pouring out over it - and I'm not a fan of setting it lower because it pulls down my pants!
Uh oh. That's why I don't like my MT. When it crosses in the back it buldges out. I was hoping the Ergo might not be as bad. Yoiks!

I did find a dealer close by (sort of) where I can go try one on. I'm going to do this incase I don't like it. A hundred bucks is a lot of dough for something that won't fit.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#21 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I noticed this in the pictures on their site and wondered about that. Did you find it effected your back after wearing it for a while?
Heck, I didn't have to wear it awhile to notice it. Within 5 minutes she felt heavy (she was around 25lbs when I tried) Whereas in the MT I can wear her on my back for an hour without it hurting my back or shoulders at all.

-Angela
#22 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM

I've used a home-made mt, kozy, fh, bh, napsack & beco and I prefer the Ergo to all of them. My dd is almost 3 & 32# now and it really is our exclusive carrier. I can't remember the last time I used any of my other mts that I haven't yet brought myself to sell.

The Ergo is quick, easy & comfortable. And I can stash a dipe & a couple of wipes in the little pocket and be good to go.

I never started using the Ergo until my dd was 2 & close to 30#... before that, my MTs were always my favorite carriers. But for longer carries now that she's heavier, for us, the Ergo can't be beat.

It is true that the carrier doesn't go as high up on her back as some mts, but I've not found that to be a problem, just something that we adjusted to pretty easily.

If you can try it on before you buy it, you totally should!

Sometimes you can get a used/second from this site: http://www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com/used.html
I think they restock about once a month & sell out pretty quickly. You can try emailing them to see when they'll be stocking again.
#23 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 09:20 PM

I have a 25 lb. toddler, and the Ergo is working great for us. I carried him in it for hours today! I like the padded shoulder straps, and the even weight distribution. The pouch on this carrier can hold a diaper, cash, keys and a cell phone without being stuffed! There's nothing better than carrying your little one and (seemingly) nothing else. It's close to perfect.
#24 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM

I loved my Ergo for 3 years until I discovered my MT, and I am SO impressed with the better comfort, the weight just melts away! I can wear a big toddler forever with a MT, only an hour or so with the ergo. (I use Catbird Baby)
I think my husband prefers the ergo but it may be the "masculine" factor. buckles, not ties, you know?

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#25 of 27 Old 01-05-2007, 11:11 PM

OMG STOP IT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stand it. I have lusted after an Ergo for so long, but I have a freaking 3 year old. It would be absolutely stupid for me to buy one. Wouldn't it?

I still wear her some, but she loves the hip carry and the quick up and down. I should probably stick with my pouch.

BUT I WANT AN ERGO SO BAD!!! Gah.

It's not easy.
#26 of 27 Old 01-06-2007, 07:30 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ergo. I just got it a few weeks ago to replace my Little Baby Buckaroo Mei Tai. I did NOT like that mei tai. I was in so much pain. It did not fit right. I was going to switch to a Babyhawk but then decided on the Ergo instead. I don't think I'll ever switch to anything else. It is SO comfortable for me AND DS. And oh my gosh, the SLEEP HOOD is awesome!! That was one thing I hated about the mei tai. DS's head would bobble if I didn't walk hunched over. I also hated having to constantly readjust the straps on the mei tai. Getting the Ergo on and baby in is so much faster and gentler for both of us. I love it. I recommend it over a mei tai any day... well, at least my old mei tai.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#27 of 27 Old 01-06-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Me too. Couldn't get the shoulder straps on the ergo tight enough to keep the child snug.
Remember, criss-crossing straps on the MT is OPTIONAL.

Jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page