Problems with my Ergo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
Hi! This is my first post. I'm Stephanie, mother of Magnolia (Noli for short).

Noli is ten months, but she is the size of a two-year-old. She weighs 27 lbs, 5 oz. She is HARD to carry. And she doesn't yet get the idea of helping mommy by hanging on.
I bought the Ergo thinking it would help me with back and shoulder pain. Slings kill my neck, and Snugglies and Bjorns she grew out of a long time ago (not to mention I'm not a big fan).
I like it, but it seems to put a strain on my collarbone/chest area. It feels like my shoulders are being pulled back too far, but if I loosen the straps then it feels like the baby's going to fall out.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm just too chubby for it, even though Ergos supposedly fit all sizes. I am 5'7 and wear a 14... but my arms feel pinched and my D cup boobs always seem to get in the way!
#2 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 AM

My DP is 5'3 and wears probably a size 16 or 18 - the ergo works okay for her if I help her get it situated
Maybe just try loosening the sternum strap? You said that if you loosen the straps it feels like baby will fall out - is it the sternum strap you are referring to or the lower straps - like on your sides?

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#3 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Well, if I loosen the sternum strap, the shoulder straps pull back on my shoulders, but if I tighten it, my chest feels strained. And if I loosen the shoulder straps, the baby slips.

Tomorrow I might take some pictures if I can find my camera, to see if anyone can see a problem I'm not seeing.
#4 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 05:17 AM

Do you have the waist strap tight enough? A big part of the appeal of the Ergo for me is that the waist/hip strap bears part of the weight. And based on what you're saying, I'd suggest *tightening* the shoulder straps. For me, the tighter, the better. If the shoulder straps are tight, it keeps my DD close to my body. I don't feel excess stress on my chest unless DD is actively leaning back.

FWIW, I'm also wear the same size- 12/14 and DD bra, although I'm 5'4". My 3yo DD is about the same size as your child- she's 27-28 lbs, and I don't have any problems with the Ergo.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...82&uid=4291965

Here are some pictures I took of me wearing the Ergo. As you can see, the waist strap is very tight!

Does it look like I have it on right?
#6 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 PM

It looks like you have her on there right. Try maybe putting it further down on your hips. That might take some of the strain off your back and shoulders. Btw, she is a DOLL!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#7 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 PM

Yeah, it looks like you have it on about right. The only thing I can see is a couple minor adjustments. I'm about the same size as you, 5'6" and size 12/14. I keep the shoulder straps almost completely tight (honestly there is maybe an inch or two of the black strap) and pull the sternum strap down as far towards my breasts as I can so that it is about where my breast tissue starts rather than near my collar bone. I find that much more comfortable. I would also try pushing the waist strap down so that it rests on your hip bones. My ds sits with his bottom in the small of my back, almost on my hips.

But I really think tightening the shoulder straps will help a lot. Good luck!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#8 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

So should I fasten the waist belt under my belly instead of across it?

I think I was wearing the sternum strap too high up, that's why my collarbones were hurting.

Thanks for the advice... any more suggestions are welcome!!
#9 of 17 Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
So should I fasten the waist belt under my belly instead of across it?
Um, not really sure I'm picturing this right. I fasten mine pretty much right on top of my jeans belt. I guess that is below my tummy, it's just below my belly button (the top edge of the buckle is usually either just at or just below the belly button.) hth?!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#10 of 17 Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I think I've figured it out. I was wearing the shoulder straps too tight! I loosened them and my arms didn't feel so pinched and the weight was lessened. I think that when they were tighter, they were actually lifting the baby up off my hips, so my shoulders were bearing the whole burden.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
#11 of 17 Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM

well, I'm really small and I couldn't wear it at first. I think once you find how to adjust it exactly for you body it's really easy. If you could afford to buy a mei tei it might be easier since you actually tie them on. But I do think the Ergo feels a bit more supportive for wearer (to me anyways).

I'm 5'5" and small, DS hit the 30 pound mark before a year so I know what you mean! Even now he's well over 40 inches at 2.5 and 40 pounds. DD is following the same thing and sometimes it's a struggle to find the right carry.

Just curious....are you trying the front/back or side carry? DH always had to move the chest strap instead of wearing it in the middle. He either wore it lower or really high but I don't remember. Also the waist belt thing needs to be snug. If you are really tall wear it closer on your waist, if you're really short wear it more on your hips.
#12 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Just curious....are you trying the front/back or side carry? DH always had to move the chest strap instead of wearing it in the middle. He either wore it lower or really high but I don't remember. Also the waist belt thing needs to be snug. If you are really tall wear it closer on your waist, if you're really short wear it more on your hips.
I have been having trouble with the back carry, mainly. I'm not a big fan of the front carry, it makes me feel like I have to stoop over.

See, this is the weird thing. I'm tallish, at 5'7", but I found that I had to move the waist buckle really low onto my hips to be comfortable, like below where my belt sits. Maybe I just have low hips? Who knows...

I tried the side carry, but the strap seemed to ride up on my neck. How do I keep it on my shoulder?
#13 of 17 Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
I tried the side carry, but the strap seemed to ride up on my neck. How do I keep it on my shoulder?
I have yet to find anyone who finds the hip carry in the Ergo comfortable. Eveyone says the same thing about the strap hitting their neck. I never even bothered trying because it just doesn't look comfy. It's the best for front and back carries though. Glad you got your other problem figured out.

coolshine.gif

#14 of 17 Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 AM

I also think that lowering the waist strap will help the entire situation. It looks kinda high. More around your hips, less around your belly.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#15 of 17 Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 AM

I use an ergo - now that my daughter is about 24# I try to wear her mostly on the back... easier for me adn her both. I have very bad back oproblems and the ergo works for me. I am 5'9" and a sz 12-14. My breasts are a B nearing C cup. I have a VERY long torso relatively. So here's what I do: I make sure the hip belt sits low on my hips, where my jeans sit, and that the hip belt is tight. I hold her close to my body using the shoulder straps, and sit the sternum strap at about armpit height. the closer she sits to my body the better the weight distribution. Front carry is similar, wit hteh sternum strap higher acrss my shoulders. Hip carry is difficult, so I will return to a wrap for that soon (loved the moby for front and cradle carry when she was wee wee wee. hope this helps.

sd
#16 of 17 Old 02-01-2007, 04:27 PM

my DD is 10 months too, but weighs less.
the pics look good, but i understand your feeling.
when my dd is on my back i often feel like she could fall out, but i think that is just something to get used to.
they are secure. the ergo does not give the child lots adn lots of support so she can arch back, which is scary for mama and papa.

i wear my girl all the time on my back and she has never fallen.

just keep wearing it and making little adjustments.
every carrier takes time to get used to.

good luck and welcome to MDC
#17 of 17 Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I have finally perfected the art. It's easier for me to get her on my back correctly if I start her in the front position and then move her around.

The other day I wore her around Central Market and was able to breastfeed and grocery shop at the same time!! Yay!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page