upright tummy - to -tummy carry for newborn in MT or sling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My two week old loves to be carried tummy to tummy, in an upright position. which is fine when we are doing some things, but since I also have a toddler, it would be great to have both hands free and not always have to be supporting his head. Right now his cord stump is close to falling off and he can't stand to be curled up because it rubs his diaper against the cord.

I have a mei tai, a ring sling and a pouch. can I use one of these to carry him upright, tummy to tummy, without having to worry about his head (its not too wobbly, but still I'd rather err on the side of caution)? Or is this one of those things where I just have to wait until he gets older?

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 09:19 PM

I would swaddle my guy and stick him straight down into the Mei Tai and make sure it was up a bit on the side of his head. It supported his head nicely unless I bent all the way over.
Wendi
Old 01-28-2007, 09:56 PM

I think a wrap would work best. Then you could put some fabric over his head and it would be totally supported. I wear my ds (10.5 weeks old) tummy-tummy in a pouch, MT, and a wrap, and the wrap is the only one I feel like I don't have to hold him at all when I bend completely over.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:54 AM

yes in a wrap you can actually bed all the way over and be totally hands free! I do like the swaddle in the MT idea though but still you can only gen so much support on that in the head....Minda
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I'm trying to resist buying a wrap, since its the only kind of baby carrier (well, except an Ergo) that I don't already own . . .

I tried swaddling him in the mei tai this evening and it did give me a lot of freedom, so I think that's going to be the answer for now, unless someone drops 5m of slightly stretchy fabric in my lap in the next few weeks.

eta: thanks for all the advice.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 01-29-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
Unfortunately, I'm trying to resist buying a wrap, since its the only kind of baby carrier (well, except an Ergo) that I don't already own . . .

I tried swaddling him in the mei tai this evening and it did give me a lot of freedom, so I think that's going to be the answer for now, unless someone drops 5m of slightly stretchy fabric in my lap in the next few weeks.

eta: thanks for all the advice.
Go to the dollar table at walmart and buy 5 yards of regular cotton fabric at 30 inches wide and there ya go- a wrap for 5 dollars!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 PM

That's the only carry DS would allow - from birth!

I've done it with all those carriers, but I agree that the wrap is the easiest for head support, though it's possible to be creative with them all.

When they're that young I like the knit fabric (like Moby) for softness, comfort, and non-binding. But when they get older and heavier the stretch turns to sag and it's less comfy than the woven wraps (like Ellaroo) by far.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 AM

Yep I bought some crinkle cotton fabric from wal-mart at the dollar table. It makes a great wrap. I also have a Moby I bought off ebay. The only thing I don't like about the wraps is they aren't as portable as other smaller carriers because of the 5yrds of fabric.

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 PM

I would either pull the fabric of of the ring sling up over his head or use the MT, in which case the back was up over his head.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM

I always just pulled the ring sling fabric up over the bottom of the head.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 PM

I didn't have my MT when DD was a baby, but go to the babyhawk.com website and look at the instructions for tummy to tummy carry for newborns, it might help you out!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02

User Tag List