To Ergo or Not To Ergo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2007, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how much does a new ergo cost along with the instructional DVD? also, if i bought onw and did not like it, are they easy to resale, like would i get my money back out of it do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 AM

I think a new one cost around $92, but check out thebabywearer.com and you can get a used one for less. Mine came still in the package and I think it was around $20 less. The resale also seems to be pretty good. But, I don't think you'll want to sell it, I Love mine!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Many Ergo retailers have pretty generous return policies, so if you got one and didn't like it, you wouldn't necessarily be stuck with it.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 PM

we love ours! but i think they're pretty easy to resale. they seem to be a hot carrier.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM

We love ours, too. I ordered mine directly from the company (HI) and it was $95, just over a year ago. There was a small defect and they took care of sending me a new one promptly, didn't charge for shipping the new one or sending the old one back. They are very good to work with.
It fits both me (5'5", 120lbs) and DH (5'10", 185lbs).
Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Glad to hear there are people who love their Ergos. I was thinking about getting one. I have a Snugli now, but would love something a little more comfortable and not so hard to put on as a Mei Tai.

Does anyone have the backpack that you can attach to the Ergo? I was really wanting one, but I want to know how it works out when you are wearing your baby on your front, facing the front. Is it hard for them to see around the backpack?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM

we love ours. both dh and i can wear it and it's great for our toddler they are also really great if it needs repair or new parts (i lost a chest strap and we were able to get another asap)

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Does anyone have the backpack that you can attach to the Ergo? I was really wanting one, but I want to know how it works out when you are wearing your baby on your front, facing the front. Is it hard for them to see around the backpack?[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that One could not wear baby in front, facing front(out) with an Ergo? That would be my main criticism of the Ergo. Especially since DD loves to ride in front facing out.

My other is it can get pretty warm in an Ergo. More than the little one than for me.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:33 PM

I have been through four carriers and the Ergo is my all time favorite one for numerous reasons...it's comfortable for DS and for me, he feels safe and secure in it, he's far less squirmy than he was in the others and I can weare it for longer periods of time...I LOVE IT!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:34 PM

You will not want to return your Ergo--it is by far the most comfortable pack you will find. It's expensive but sooooooo worth it. My almost 3 year old will still get in (on occasion) and it's still comfortable for us both.

If you didn't like it (which I'm positive will not be the case) you could easily sell it (craigslist, ebay, consignment). I personally haven't seen many used Ergo's--I think that might tell you something about how great they are .
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM

The ergo is our current fave carrier. My 23 month old rides very comfortably for long periods of time. You won't want to sell it once you see how comfy it is. The snugli isn't even in the same league (IMO) as far as comfort. Also, if your baby likes to face forward, I'd recommend a pouch or a ring sling rather than a structured carrier, as facing front in a bjorn or the like can place stress on the baby's back and pelvic region. If you want another option similar to the ergo, I have heard good things about the papatum. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 PM

I LOVE my ergo.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM

This is our fourth child and I am SO UPSET that I did not have an Ergo for the first three. If I had to change just one parenting thing I'd done/not done, it would be to GET AN ERGO before having our first child. It is so terrific, I cannot imagine how exponentially much easier my life would have been if I had had the Ergo back in 1997. Eight years of needless suffering with Baby Bjorns, wraps, slings, etc.

Enough said!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

oh!oh!oh! I can not wait to get it in now!!!
My youngest is 14 months old...I (also) went through many carriers with dd #1, so with dd #2 I pretty much DID NOT attempt to carry her : ......my question is: How often should I carry her now? I mean, she is not used to it at all. Do you ladies carry yours around the house while you "do things" or do you just carry your dc just when you are out or what.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 PM

I just got one and LOVE it. I got it used for $50, which is the cheapest I've ever seen a used one go for. It is WAY better than a Snugli-type carrier! You won't be disappointed.

ETA: we cross-posted... I wear dd around the house while I do dishes, clean, whatever. I also wear her for walks and errands. I've been wearing her all along, so she's used to it.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
Does anyone have the backpack that you can attach to the Ergo? I was really wanting one, but I want to know how it works out when you are wearing your baby on your front, facing the front. Is it hard for them to see around the backpack?
The ERGO is not intended to be worn with the baby front carry, front facing. Even though you might think that your child likes facing forward, you might want to search the threads on the concern for wearing your baby in that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowan1 View Post
My other is it can get pretty warm in an Ergo. More than the little one than for me.
I generally do not layer DD in a ton of clothing. It's just like if one was to hold their child up to them for an extended period of time, it would be a bit warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2princesses View Post
How often should I carry her now? I mean, she is not used to it at all. Do you ladies carry yours around the house while you "do things" or do you just carry your dc just when you are out or what.
Before my daughter learned to crawl, I wore her mostly around the house and of course out and about. But since she gained mobility and takes off at running speeds, we generally only wear her when we're out running errands, going for walks and hiking. There are times when she gets fussy that she wants to be held when we're home.

This carrier is MAGNIFICENT!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:35 AM

we love our ergo.
we must use it at least three times a day, sometimes for two hours at a time.

every once in awhile I have it on wrong and it hurts my back...but that just means i need to adjust it.

i've never needed to take a diaper bag on my (relatively short-under three hours) trips to the zoo etc. the front pocket holds two or three disposables, a small package of wipes, my wallet, cell phone, keys, and a small change of clothes.

we have actually used the ergo outfacing, and have seen friends do likewise.
its not as secure, and baby is pretty much in the splits. but he likes it sometimes.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:41 AM

I LOVEEEEE my ergo too!!!! by far the best and I've tried them all
Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 AM

I bought my Ergo online last month and the website I bought it from had a 90 day guarantee (if you don't like it you can return it within 90 days). I went to the Ergo website, looked at their online retailers and found one that had the carrier I wanted (organic denim) and good price/shipping.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Also consider the Beco and Yamo.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 AM

Just wanted to add to the chorus- I bought an Ergo when my DD was about 3.5 months old- she is 7 months now. It blows all other carriers away (I have 8 different slings/carriers)- and now we use this one pretty exclusively. It looks like it will grow well with her, too. LOVE my Ergo!

User Tag List