sling for plus sized people - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-03-2007, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any plus sized women out there want to tell me which slings they like best and which holds are good? i really think it must be totally different for a skinny mom!!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
any plus sized women out there want to tell me which slings they like best and which holds are good? i really think it must be totally different for a skinny mom!!
Talk to Jan at Sleeping Baby Productions. She's local to you and understands size requirements.
#3 of 22 Old 04-03-2007, 03:28 PM

there is also a very active Boston NINO group that meets regulary (http://www.bostonbabywearers.com/). They should be able to give you in-person help with figuring out what type of carrier is best suited for you.

In my opinion, wraps and ring slings, like the ones that Jan sells at Sleeping Baby Productions, are the most adjustable for getting the perfect fit. I would avoid fitted pouches unless you know you are at a stable weight. I would also skip the structured carriers because, as a general rule of thumb, the more structure that you have in a carrier, the less adjustable and versatile the carrier will be. You could try a mei tai but some like their straps extra long and some prefer the shorter straps and so those options don't neccessarily coincide with your dress size.
#4 of 22 Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 PM

I have a mei tei that i love, and I'm 210. The top wraps around the front in an "X" and then ties under her butt in the back. Before I gained the last 10 lbs I could wrap it around front ag ain and tie it, but it doesnt seem like that big of a deal really to do it this way.

I would definitely get measured though for something like that, or make sure that whoever you buy it from knows that you need a larger one (I got my mei tei from someone who had someone wearing it that was larger than me, so I knew it would fit) Incidently, my DH is 250 and he can wear the mei tei as well w/ no problems.

I have a 1 piece sling that was sized for me, but it still feels too small. I bought it off a WAHM on Ebay and I'm going to make another one with larger dimensions and see if thats any better.
#5 of 22 Old 04-08-2007, 07:20 AM

As a plus-sized mama, I have ocassionally felt uncomfortable wearing DS in my mei tai because it kind of draws attentions to my curves by digging into my waist (or lack there of ). I feel more comfortable doing a hip carry in a pouch and feel it flatters a larger body. You should check out the babywearer if you are in the market for one because I saw 2 great sales advertised there.
#6 of 22 Old 04-08-2007, 04:44 PM

I like to use my ringsling for a hipcarry, or a metai for a back carry. I found that I can do more kinds of ties with my BH than with my Kozy, so the straps must be longer.
#7 of 22 Old 04-08-2007, 07:07 PM

I've been a plus sized mom in the past (am currently just average sized). As far as comfort, I had luck with ring slings, pouches, mei tais and wraps. As far as appearance, I found the wrap and slings more flattering. A mei tai can show off any unwanted fat in your midsection.
#8 of 22 Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 PM

I love my Ergo (with waist extension), but I have to admit it's not the most flattering thing in the world! It does bunch around the midsection a bit, but with a 21 pound 6 month old who wants to be carried all day long, I've lost my vanity. I love the way it distributes the weight.

I have no experience with wraps (that's for the next baby!) but I did love my Hostlings pouch when ds was younger. They have a great sizing guide on their website.
#9 of 22 Old 04-10-2007, 01:38 PM

I like a hip carry with a ring sling and a front wrap cross carry in a wrap (I need a longer wrap to be able to do this - 4.2 or 4.6 meters).
#10 of 22 Old 04-10-2007, 02:17 PM

I wear my DD in front, so this wouldnt work w/ a back carry, but I always just throw a loose fitting button down shirt over the mei tei. I forgot all about that until something was said in this thread.

My DH doesnt seem to notice himself. I guess guys are like that.
#11 of 22 Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

Hip carry with a ring sling! I actually only like ring slings when I was plus sized. once I lost weight I stopped liking the ring slings so much...

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#12 of 22 Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
Talk to Jan at Sleeping Baby Productions. She's local to you and understands size requirements.
Thanks for posting that. I had looked at her site before but now it's different. I like this page because she tells about different size people and how different slings fit them. It's the most helpful thing I've seen yet.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/size.php...0bdd1df13b3789

I still want to try a sling. I want a pouch, but it seems like a ring sling is probably better. I'm about a size 26. Anybody else here that big? What do you use?

I like the idea of putting on a button up shirt to help cover up. I had thought of that but didn't know how it would work, so I'm glad to see others are doing it.
#13 of 22 Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 AM

I'm a 26,I LOVE my ring-sling!!!

It took some practice and more practice,but I've had it 3 months now and it is great!
#14 of 22 Old 04-14-2007, 03:29 AM

I'm a 22 and I have HUGE breasts, so it's been hard for me too. Itried a ring sling, but it didn't work with my shape. I tried a bjorn-type but couldn't get one big enough. I tried wraps but they needed so much fabric on me they were too cumbersome to carry. Finally I tried this one, and i really like it, but theres no tag and it was second hand. Plus I cant nurse with it. So, I wear it sometimes, but I just tonight went through wearyourbaby.com and tried every wrap style they show and finally found one that requires less fabric that I can also nurse in. So, I'm finally happy with the Front Short Cross Tie on First found here.
Good luck and let us know if you find something you love!
#15 of 22 Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 AM

I'm a size 22 with 42F boobs, so I had trouble finding what I really liked too.

I use primarily mei tais. My favorite brand right now is either Meitaibaby or Sachi. I also have a Babyhawk I like. The sachi has wider straps, and doesn't do that cut into your fat roll thing when I wear her in the front. When I wear her in the back, I ruck my straps, then tie around the waist just under my boobs. I think it looks pretty good.

I couldn't use a pouch very well, by the time I got one loose enough that I could work her in around my boobs, it was too loose and she hung. The lower the pouch hangs, the more weight you feel on your shoulder.

I have a couple ring slings, and am still working on learning how to adjust them. By far, the most adjustable one I have so far is a silk one. It's also pretty!

My best easy in easy out is a MyPouch, and it fits my size, but if my waist were, say five inchers bigger, it wouldn't buckle at the waist.

I have wraps, but dd doesn't like them much. Also, I feel like they make me look bigger when I'm all wrapped up. Like a big fat mummy. But that is a personal thing, so you might like them.
#16 of 22 Old 04-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Well I'm going to try a pouch. I found a momma who's selling hers for a reasonable price. Cheap enough that I think I couldn't make one cheaper. If it doesn't work, I'll sell it and get a ring sling from Jan. I've gotten so much info from her site that I'd like to support her.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
#17 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 AM

I'm a plus sized mommy and I bought my sling at kangarookorner.com

it's pink and an adjustable pouch type.

I'm hopingmy daughter will love it. It was only 30 dollars though.
#18 of 22 Old 04-20-2007, 11:51 PM

Well mommas, anybody need a very cute pouch sling cheap? I got it today and it is really pretty, it's just too small. I think the momma I got it from got confused on the measurements. She said she thought it was 29-30in and it's really only 26-27in. The extra few inches are what I would need too. I am sooo bummed. I tried it on and put ds in it, but instead of staying on my shoulder it slid up to my neck and ds was between my boobs. It wasn't big enough to make the proper seat for him. I think that if it was big enough, it would have been perfect.
#19 of 22 Old 04-21-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelene22 View Post
I like a hip carry with a ring sling and a front wrap cross carry in a wrap (I need a longer wrap to be able to do this - 4.2 or 4.6 meters).
I'm size 14 and need at least a 4.6m wrap for fwcc with an infant and longer for a larger baby.
#20 of 22 Old 04-21-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
Well mommas, anybody need a very cute pouch sling cheap? I got it today and it is really pretty, it's just too small. I think the momma I got it from got confused on the measurements. She said she thought it was 29-30in and it's really only 26-27in. The extra few inches are what I would need too. I am sooo bummed. I tried it on and put ds in it, but instead of staying on my shoulder it slid up to my neck and ds was between my boobs. It wasn't big enough to make the proper seat for him. I think that if it was big enough, it would have been perfect.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Did she offer to take it back since the size was misrepresented? Sometimes mommas make honest mistakes and are willing to make them right.
#21 of 22 Old 04-21-2007, 11:36 AM

I haven't asked her to take it back yet. I probably should. I was planning on trying to lose weight. But I'm not sure how much I'd have to lose to make it work right and I'd like to wear him now. Not wait for however long it takes to get to the right size.
#22 of 22 Old 04-26-2007, 11:50 PM

Well, if anybody here wants it let me know quick. Otherwise the momma will take it back. It doesn't fit me, but I'm a 26/28. It's just a little too small so probably a 22/24? It's over 26inches but not 27inches depending on where I measure it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page