I want to make a wrap...BUT... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2007, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so I gather you can buy 5 yards of fabric cut it to about 20 inches wide and use that bit of fabric as a wrap.

now...my question is...what kind of fabric? I took a quick look at fabrics while I was at walmart : but I honestly am so fabric challenged I had no idea what was what or how they were different. I also had no idea what on earth could be used for a wrap and which was best for a wrap.

my ds2 is 9m so it'll have to be woven I gather...TIA

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 02:47 AM

My sil purchased a jersey knit. I believe a gauzy fabric is also useful.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:34 AM

check out mamatoto for info on what to look for in fabric when making a wrap

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 PM

I bought some great, stretchy comfy fabric to make a wrap but i accidentally bought the wrong yardage I got 3 instead of 5, sigh. I have been wanting to make a wrap forever. I guess I will sew it together or something.

btw, I got it for $1.00 a yard at walmart on the clearance rack. Its amazing how much they have there. Not the same quality as the $20 per yard stuff, but I'm not that picky
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM

If she's heavy, I'd get a gauze type fabric. Knits are great, but if your baby is heavy, the stretch might be too much. I've seen some out of just cotton muslin type fabric too.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM

I second the mamatoto website. But since your son is 9m I wouldn't make it 20" wide. You'll need wider. 26-30" would be best. HTH!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:20 PM

I was really nervous about finding the "right" fabric too. I had never even heard of "gauze" fabric. I just went into Joanns over the weekend and asked about cotton gauze and they had a ton of it in many different colors. Solids only, no prints. It was called cotton gauze and some was with the spring fabrics and some was elsewhere in the store. It was 40% off, normally $5.99/yd. I didn't think that was a bad price. I am not sure of the width but if it is wide enough you can get 2 wraps out of it for about $22. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:14 PM

I think you can use just about any good quality sturdy fabric. I prefer a thin gauze, because I don't have to worry about tying tighter after baby has been stretching it out. Even when DD was under 20 pounds, I would have to retie a couple of times after maybe 20 minutes of wearing her.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 AM

At thebabywearer.com they talk about making wraps with gauze. It's a great fabric for summer!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM

jenlaana, you can still use 3 yards to carry your babe - i have a traditional african bapu which is just a piece of fabric 2 yds long and 45" wide. just put baby on your back and tie him on - wrap his legs around you and pull the fabric underneath to make a comfy seat, and make sure to keep it loose enough for him to breathe!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak4ever View Post
I second the mamatoto website. But since your son is 9m I wouldn't make it 20" wide. You'll need wider. 26-30" would be best. HTH!
would you explain to me why this is so? I have a very small frame and don't want a bunch of fabric bunching. thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
check out mamatoto for info on what to look for in fabric when making a wrap
ok that's where I got the knowledge I have. but it doesn't tell me what to look for. it just says what type and then I go to walmart and nothing I see matches that.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post
ok that's where I got the knowledge I have. but it doesn't tell me what to look for. it just says what type and then I go to walmart and nothing I see matches that.
If you scroll down this page on the mamatoto website it says "crinkle cotton" "cotton gauze", etc.
http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121

I am not sure what Walmart or other fabric stores have but Joann's has "cotton gauze". It is the same on both sides, has a selvage edge, and is thin enough to see through. I think that may be what she is talking about. I am going to try it (maybe next week) and I'll let you know. If you still aren't sure you should check out the slingsewing yahoo group and post your question there. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post
would you explain to me why this is so? I have a very small frame and don't want a bunch of fabric bunching. thanks
Sure! You'll need the extra width for coverage. As your son gets older and more active, you'll need the width to keep him from falling out (or leaning out of the wrap). When wrapping you want the bottom rail to reach the back of his knees and the top rail to at least reach his underarms, preferably more so you can pull it up to support his head when he falls asleep.

20" is fine for a newborn since they are smaller and don't move much. I made my first wrap this width, but I wouldn't dare use it now. He is such a nosey posey that he leans to see everything and if the extra width wasn't there, he'd lean out of the wrap.

I don't like bunching either, so to avoid it I fold the fabric in half (sandwich them together) when going over the shoulder.

Does that help?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
If you scroll down this page on the mamatoto website it says "crinkle cotton" "cotton gauze", etc.
http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121

I am not sure what Walmart or other fabric stores have but Joann's has "cotton gauze". It is the same on both sides, has a selvage edge, and is thin enough to see through. I think that may be what she is talking about. I am going to try it (maybe next week) and I'll let you know. If you still aren't sure you should check out the slingsewing yahoo group and post your question there. Good luck!
nothing like that! I wish it would just show pictures LoL that would help a LOT.

kaya yes that helps thank you so much

Old 04-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Depending on how heavy your dc is you might want to try a woven type of fabric for an older baby. I think that generally the stretchy knit type of fabric is used for newborns. And guaze can have a lot of pressure points with a heavy baby.
HTH!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopesmama View Post
Depending on how heavy your dc is you might want to try a woven type of fabric for an older baby. I think that generally the stretchy knit type of fabric is used for newborns. And guaze can have a lot of pressure points with a heavy baby.
HTH!
Ok, now I am confused. Isn't cotton gauze a woven type of fabric? It isn't knit and it isn't stretchy. What would make gauze have more pressure points than a different type of woven?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:29 PM

I want to make a cotton gauze wrap for summer. This is the fabric I am planning on ordering. Apparently it is similar to the gypsy mama Bali Baby Breeze fabric.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...ic_cotton.html

A rule of thumb that I've heard about getting fabric for a wrap is that it should sort of "hug" your hand when you wrap it around. It needs to have a little bit of stretch on the diagonal if it is woven for you and your DC to be comfy.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

is this a good one for a wrap for a 9month old that weighs approx 20lbs?

(for back carry most likely)

muslin

Old 04-12-2007, 11:55 PM

Hey there! I pmed you a few days back...
If you are doing a back carry, then you want to go for the gauze-
I'm pretty sure I've seen it there before--- thing gauze like you wrap wounds with- loose weave, but not quite as loose as a bandage. Think breezy summer curtain fabric. Think hippy skirt fabric...well, you get the idea. It has to have some give to it, to cradle and support the baby. Muslin is just too tightly woven to really conform to the babies (or your) body. It should be thin enough to see the lights of the store when you hold it up, but not so thin that it wouldn't support your baby's weight. I know it's a little overwhelming, but my best advice is just to try and find something close, and try it out around the house to get a feel for it. I have used cotton knit (tshirt material) wraps for my baby until she was about a year, but they stretch, so I'd be careful for back carries. I tried the rucksack carry with the knit and it was just so stretchy that it felt like she was gonna pop out the bottom! But, cotton knit is a very forgiving wrap material to learn with, so it may be worth it to you to try it out and then give it to a mum with a littler one. Also, have you seen if there are any NINO or babywearing groups in your area? There was a mom selling crinkle cotton on TP- maybe she has a pic you could look at. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
Hey there! I pmed you a few days back...
If you are doing a back carry, then you want to go for the gauze-
I'm pretty sure I've seen it there before--- thing gauze like you wrap wounds with- loose weave, but not quite as loose as a bandage. Think breezy summer curtain fabric. Think hippy skirt fabric...well, you get the idea. It has to have some give to it, to cradle and support the baby. Muslin is just too tightly woven to really conform to the babies (or your) body. It should be thin enough to see the lights of the store when you hold it up, but not so thin that it wouldn't support your baby's weight. I know it's a little overwhelming, but my best advice is just to try and find something close, and try it out around the house to get a feel for it. I have used cotton knit (tshirt material) wraps for my baby until she was about a year, but they stretch, so I'd be careful for back carries. I tried the rucksack carry with the knit and it was just so stretchy that it felt like she was gonna pop out the bottom! But, cotton knit is a very forgiving wrap material to learn with, so it may be worth it to you to try it out and then give it to a mum with a littler one. Also, have you seen if there are any NINO or babywearing groups in your area? There was a mom selling crinkle cotton on TP- maybe she has a pic you could look at. Good luck!
I read somewhere (or maybe someone told me) that stretchy fabric was bad for back carries.

and I also read on here that stretchy fabric doesn't work for heavier (or older) babies.

and no, there aren't. there's milkworks but I am not sure I want to pay their prices for a wrap. ($40+)

Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 AM

Ok, I made my wrap and I LOVE IT! I bought some cotton gauze at Joann's and cut it down to 5 yards and 30 inches wide. Unfortunately that only left me with one wrap - I thought I would have enough width for 2 but I will use the extra to make a child sling for dd1. I haven't hemmed it yet so if I do that it will be a tad narrower. It feels so supportive, much more so than the Moby wrap - dd2 was starting to stretch it out. I am sitting here typing with her in the simple cross carry and I am so comfortable! I did read about people finding appropriate fabric at Walmart at babywearer.com. I would go to that website and sign up and look at the DIY forum. Here is an example

" Re: Material for wrap?
You want a natural fiber for breathablility. If you baby is tiny you can use a stretchy (but not too stretchy) fabric like cotton interlock. For a woven, you can use a cotton gauze fabric for a light, summer wrap (or with a tiny one) or a loosely woven cotton with some bias stretch. The links at the top of this page under article, sewing and improvising will help. Aslo www.wearyourbaby.com has lots of good info on fabric and how to tie"

I also met someone who bought crinkle cotton @ fabric.com for $2/yd. Here is a link to some not as cheap but shipping is free for 1st time shoppers.
http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults....3-26a376046a5e
I also read that you can use linen blends???

Good luck and HTH!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Also, I just saw a woman in the store with a wrap on and I asked her what it was made from and she said a linen/cotton blend. She had a little baby - maybe 2 months. She said it was comfortable. She made it herself. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 AM

dp
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 AM

I would go for cotton gauze- it's somewhat stretchy, but not like t-shirt material. T-shirt material is knit and elastic. Gauze is woven and has a little give, but isn't bouncy-stretchy.
I used my stretchy (tshirt material) wrap on my baby (front carry) until she was one (20 lbs).
That was when I felt like she was just too big for it.
I still use that stretchy(tshirt material) wrap for strap back carries, as I said in my pm.
I would not use that wrap for the rucksack carry, as I said in my pm.
I'm sorry I wasn't more help, but I tried to tell you what I know.
I'm sure if you went to Walmart, and asked for cotton gauze, they could help you.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Well after reading this thread I finally made my first wrap over the weekend and I love it. I went to Jomar's and got 6 yds of a stretchy striped cotton, another 6 yds of a white cotton guaze and another 6 yds of a striped, loose weave cotton. I tried the white gauze and it was ok. The stretchy cotton was better once I cut it down to size. My DS loves it. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:32 PM

Yay! You may like the gauze/woven a little more once the baby is bigger. Good job!

User Tag List