Newborn: ring sling? mei tai? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2007, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need your help, ladies. I have used several kinds of baby carriers since ds's birth 7 years ago and now, for some reason, I'm confused. There will be 6 yrs between my youngest and the new baby, so I need to get help now.

I work in a daycare at a health club and frequently use my Maya Wrap for the babies (just for the under 1 yr set) or some of them have their own Hot Slings. Love that! I have a hard time using it, but I love that the babies are already used to being carried. I can never carry them for long, though, because of major back pain. I've been in 3 major car accidents (most recent was 2 years ago) and even though I get regular chiropractic care, my back hurts. The 1-shoulder carriers hurt. I want to try using my Mei Tai more often since it goes over both shoulders.

I have not yet brought my Mei Tai to use at work (I really ought to for practice), but has anyone had any success using them w/ newborns? I'm afraid the babe will slink down and squish.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 05:16 AM

I had your same concerns, but it works! The baby just kind of clings his whole body to you and they LOVE being so close, listening to your heartbeat...
Old 04-09-2007, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kelly Mason of Kozy carriers wore her newborns and has info on her site about carries. I believe she is very welcoming of questions if any to be asked.

http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/

I wanted a meitai for my newborn. I was convinced that it was not good to carry newborns upright. I found later that there were details about mei tai carries that were not known to me. Kelly's site was very helpful for me.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh yeas I forgot to mention that many babies do better in this position because it relieves gassy stomachs better.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 AM

I have a 6 week old newborn and I use a Gypsy Mama BBS- and I wouldn't trade it. I also have back and hip pain and the wrap allow's me the freedom to adjust as I see fit, and this helps with any pain that I might be experiencing.

In my own family the more that I use a carrier with baby from the begining the easier things are on my back as I get adjusted too baby from the get go.

I hope this helps- even though it isn't a mei Tei

Yarngoddess
married 6 years Jacob 1-9-02 , Jillianne 3-16-04: , Jensen 2-3-06 , Jacen 2-17-07:

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Have you thought about a wrap? They're supposed to be great for people with back problems.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:47 PM

I've carried my newborn in a mei tai, and it's very comfortable. As long as you have it tied properly, it supports an infant very well. On the particular WAHM mei tai that I have, the panel portion is not quite long enough to support my baby's head while he is sleeping, and his head rolls back, but if yours has a longer panel or a head support, that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Also, my baby can get gassy and prefers being upright and held chest to chest with me, so the mei tai (or a wrap) is perfect for him. The only thing that I don't like about it is that you need to untie it in order to get the baby out, and then you're dragging straps behind you, which is a bit of a pain in the neck.

If it turns out that you can't do the mei tai because of your back pain, definitely try a wrap. We use the Moby a lot right now and it's sooooo comfy.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:47 PM

My NB hated my BH mei tai although I loved it! Since she was still tiny (about 3mos) she couldn't see very well over the panel and she also hates being carried tummy to tummy. She wants to be facing forward. So I think it really depends on how the baby already likes to be carried.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Mei Tei is great, I wore both mine in them, and still do
Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 PM

I think mei tais can be okay for newborns, but I prefer a stretchy wrap (Moby or similar). The hold the baby more snugly to you, and they also go over both shoulders. The weight is probably better distributed than with a mei tai, though I love MTs also.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
Old 04-09-2007, 07:42 PM

I was all set to use my Hot Sling for baby #2 and move on to my Mei Tai when she got too big to carry on one shoulder. Well, it turns out that she HATES being carried in the Hot Sling, and just LOVES being carried in the Mei Tai. Took me a couple of attempts to get her tied in properly, but now the Hot Sling stays home when we go out.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjm View Post
I was all set to use my Hot Sling for baby #2 and move on to my Mei Tai when she got too big to carry on one shoulder. Well, it turns out that she HATES being carried in the Hot Sling, and just LOVES being carried in the Mei Tai. Took me a couple of attempts to get her tied in properly, but now the Hot Sling stays home when we go out.
same story here. we have a stretchy wrap we use sometimes but we're both more comfortable in the MT. it has a longer lifespan than a stretchy wrap, too.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Love our mei tai.

It is string adjustable at the bottom, so you can make it small enough for a newborn to be able to sit with his legs out froggied if you wanted to.

I would probably go for one with a headrest, or just tie it up higher.

And for back problems, either go with padded straps, the wider the better, or wrap-like straps (wrap tie/ mei wrap, forget which it's called lol).

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is awesome. You guys are so helpful.

My sil just made a wrap like a Moby using a jersey knit that she cut in half and stitched together. I was hesitant to use one because they seem really bulky and like there's too much fabric. I may have to play w/ a length of fabric and dd just to see how it works. I'm so sick of my back hurting.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:25 PM

the mei tai worked for me once my baby was one month, but he was really big and had awesome neck control. i prefered a wrap when he was very small because it snuggled him up nice and tight and held him very close to me. the mei tai was a little less snuggly. i used a cuddlywrap and it worked well.

User Tag List