Using restroom/baby wearing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little one is due in a couple of months. I'm alone alot and will be alone when she gets here. I plan on wearing her in a sling as much as possible.

I was curious. If you're alone at a store and you need to use the restroom...is it doable while wearing baby? Would you have to take sling off first? If so, where do you set baby?

This is probably a really stupid question. Just one of the many questions that popped into my head. My daughter will be the ultimate guinea pig, as I am a virgin when it comes to taking care of babies, lol. TIA.
#2 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 02:22 AM

I can easily use the restroom while slinging a baby. One of the benefits of a sling!

The same is true of the Ergo, Baby Bjorn, etc.
#3 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 02:41 AM

I never used a sling, but many-a-time did I nurse (at home) while on the potty! Or held a sleeping infant. My advice? Don't wear button/tie pants until you've master the art!
#4 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 AM

I too, continue to wear the babe while using the potty....

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#5 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies. At least I know it's doable...it seemed like it might be hard to do or impossible. Then again, I haven't worn a baby yet so I have no clue. Buttons won't be an issue--I'm attached to jammy pants, lol. Black jammy pants that look like dressy pants have been a lifesaver through this pregnancy!...and SOOOOO comfy! (And I'm sure it'll take awhile to fit into normal clothes after baby anyway I'm loving food too much lately, ha ha).
#6 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 AM

I've found it much easier to use the bathroom while babywearing that it was when I was verrrrry pregnant You'll get the hang of it quick!
#7 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernaBloom View Post
I've found it much easier to use the bathroom while babywearing that it was when I was verrrrry pregnant You'll get the hang of it quick!
That is so true! I have to admit it's becoming a problem now, but dd is 18 months and tends to try to kick my jeans back down or hook her feet in my belt when I'm trying to pull them back up.
#8 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 AM

I've had no problem when using a Moby or pouch, but I have to admit, it was a struggle yesterday in the coffee shop bathroom wearing my new Ergo. Maybe I will get better at it....

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#9 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 AM

nak

I always found it easier wearing baby than not. Hands free!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#10 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
nak

I always found it easier wearing baby than not. Hands free!
Absolutely easier! Good luck, you'll have it mastered in no time.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#11 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 AM

Caution: If you're wearing baby in a Mei Tai or anything else that has straps hanging down in back, remember to tuck them in before you sit down on the toilet. I made this mistake recently, and it was yucky!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM

LOL! Yeah, wet straps are nasty.

I actually have worn my 28 lb 9 mo old (he's now 7 yrs old) on my back in a NoJo while going to the bathroom. I think if you can manage a NoJo, which always feels like the kid is gonna fall out the top any minute, then a carrier that actually, really, truly holds the baby in will be a piece of cake.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#13 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernaBloom View Post
That is so true!
#14 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Oh, those days were so much easier than, "No, honey, don't open the door. No, please don't open it...yes, the other way. Yes, if you lean on it like that it opens....don't touch that....those? Those are for sanitary pads. No! No! Don't touch! That? I have no idea but don't touch it! Please just stand..."
Totally easy to do the sling and pee.

:Mama to 2 :
#15 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
Oh, those days were so much easier than, "No, honey, don't open the door. No, please don't open it...yes, the other way. Yes, if you lean on it like that it opens....don't touch that....those? Those are for sanitary pads. No! No! Don't touch! That? I have no idea but don't touch it! Please just stand..."

I KNOW!!! I makes me totally batty to be in the restroom with my 4 and almost 6 yo's. They do pretty good, but sometimes we wash hands several times before making it out of there....:

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#16 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
Oh yes. It's so much easier to go while they're slinged or wrapped!

Sorry, I had to point this item out: BabyKeeper
For those of us who are baby wearing enlightened, I thought this was funny and well, just a little weird. A bit reminiscent of the joke dh and I have about using duct tape to keep our kids out of harms way.
#17 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Hang the baby on a hook over the door!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#18 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

I brought DD to work with me often during her first few months, and I quickly discovered that the best toileting while babywearing strategy was to wear a skirt.

This is also true, and possibly even more so because of squatting low, when hiking while babywearing. True, DH could hold the baby if you are out in the wilds with him, but DD tended to fall asleep instantly when we put her in the Didy and set off on a trail, so removal would have been a pain.

FWIW, I find that wearing a baby in a front carry or carrier makes me have to go more often b/c she or the waist belt (like the Ergo) is pressing on my bladder. Not as much problem with a ring sling or back carry.
#19 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Pottying was no problem with my ds in the hotsling. I'm getting better at going with him in the bECO--the waist of the bECO goes right at the waist of my jeans, but I'm getting better at it. Definitely easier to wear him to the potty than to have to hold him and go!
#20 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the only tip i will give you is DONT make your first atempt while out : home is best place to learn and dont wait till you realllllly got to go worse come you have to put baby down to pee
#21 of 25 Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Definitely doable! I wear a MT almost exclusively now as ds is 28 months old and I would much rather have him on my back or front, instead of having him touch all the walls in the bathroom
#22 of 25 Old 04-11-2007, 02:45 AM

I found it is easier with a pouch or ring sling than with a mei tai, soft-structured carrier or wrap. And a skirt/dress facilitates things much more than pants. A high back carry, with everything tied well above the waist, also works, but you probably would be doing that as much with a nursing newborn while out. But no matter what carrier you are using, the portable toilets are always too small, .
#23 of 25 Old 04-11-2007, 07:10 PM

i wore baby in a mei tai in the fitting room today when i was trying on pants. not super easy, but she slept through the whole thing! and now i finally have a pair of post-preg pants that don't involve elastic or drawstring waists

i've tried a public restroom once. the biggest problem i had was fitting into the tiny stall. why, oh why do they design stalls with doors that swing inwards?
#24 of 25 Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Caution: If you're wearing baby in a Mei Tai or anything else that has straps hanging down in back, remember to tuck them in before you sit down on the toilet. I made this mistake recently, and it was yucky!
I was just thinking the same thing. But, as long as you've got all the hanging bits tucked in, it is very easy to go to the bathroom. You might want to practice at home if you're going to be in any really yucky toilets.

One other thing, in my mei tai it is easy for clothing to bunch and pull up in random places if you aren't watching. So I always do a quick mirror check and smooth-down on the way out the restroom door, just to make sure I'm not flashing my belly button to anyone!!
#25 of 25 Old 04-20-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
Sorry, I had to point this item out: BabyKeeper
For those of us who are baby wearing enlightened, I thought this was funny and well, just a little weird. A bit reminiscent of the joke dh and I have about using duct tape to keep our kids out of harms way.
Is this for real?? Something very disturbing about that. It just doesn't sit right with me. I know squirmy babes are hard to handle and you don't want them touching stuff in the bathrooms, but...hanging them on the door...I just don't like it..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page