Question about the ergo carrier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-14-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I've heard such amazing things about the ergo and I have a few questions:

1) In the pictures on some of the seller's websites, it appears that there is a small zippered pouch on the carrier itself. Does this come standard with all of them or am I actually looking at the additional add-ons.

2) Is it easy to get the baby in backpack position?

3) Are they all 92.00 (with the exception of the organic version)?

Any help would be great. I want to order really soon b/c I'm flying home to go visit my parents soon and I'd love to have an ergo along.

Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 04-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Mine came standard with a zipper pouch (I use it instead of a purse now!)

After practicing about 5 times, it was easy for me to get her onto my back. Get the Ergo with the DVD, that really helped me

I thin they're all 92, but you can find used ones at some places, or so I've heard.
#3 of 13 Old 04-14-2007, 07:04 PM

Mine has the zipper pouch on the back, but I don't use it. Anything I'd put in it can stick right into DS's back so it would seem to be uncomfortable. After 3 months, I broke down and got the little hip pouch that hooks on to the waist belt. It's awesome and was SO needed. I also got the backpack. Once all the snow is gone we're going to be gone on longer hikes and walks and need a way to carry food and water.
It was really easy to put him on my back in it. I have a mei tai that I was already doing this with so it was really easy the first time I put him on my back in the Ergo. Just a few tries and you'll have it down.
Yep, I paid $92 for mine. Pricey, but so worth it. It's about the same price as a Babyhawk Mei tai, though, too, so you might also consider one of those.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#4 of 13 Old 04-15-2007, 02:58 AM

Yes, they all come standard with a pocket. Great for keys, wallet, a couple diapers, etc.

Like any other carrier, there's a learning curve. But if you're experienced with the back carry, this is super easy.

Yes, they are all $92 (except organic) unless you find them on FSOT or are returns. Retailers are not allowed to advertise for less than MSRP. It's well worth it though.
#5 of 13 Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an Ergo, and I'm very blessed that it was a gift, but it would have been well worth full price IMO! They have good resale value.

1) not sure
2) yes, after a few tries. I can put dd on my hip and then slide her around and pull up the straps. You can also do it the first few times on a bed or couch to get the hang of it

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#6 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM

1) I bought mine when it was just a pocket no zipper.
2) It takes practice but yes you can do it fairly easily
3) Mine was less than that but worth every penny.

PS I would recommend the waist expander if you are plus size. DH is 6'3 240 and barely fits in the regular belt. I wear an 18 and am the same.
#7 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I actually ordered the black one with camel trim yesterday. I'm so excited!!! It's really nice out today and I wish I had the ergo already b/c I want to take dd for a walk in it. Oh well. Thanks for all of the responses.
#8 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
2) yes, after a few tries. I can put dd on my hip and then slide her around and pull up the straps. You can also do it the first few times on a bed or couch to get the hang of it
This is how I get ds onto my back as well- easy once you get the hang of it. I love love my ergo. We've used it for traveling a whole bunch. It's much easier than a stroller (IMO) at the airport, and packs smaller too.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#9 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Actually on the airport topic, I know that there is a tiny bit of metal on the ergo. Does it set off the metal detector when you go through security? I'd rather leave it on if possible.
#10 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
Actually on the airport topic, I know that there is a tiny bit of metal on the ergo. Does it set off the metal detector when you go through security? I'd rather leave it on if possible.
Mine is the older style, so I don't think it has any metal on it...but regardless, most (all?) airports will NOT let you wear baby through the metal detectors anymore. It may depend on who's working security, but the times I've flown (most recently was in December) with ds in the Ergo, they have made me take him out & carry him through, with the Ergo on the x-ray belt along with our coats, shoes, carry-ons, etc.
#11 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
You can't wear a baby through the scanner you have to carry them. You can't even wear a coat though so at least they are consistant.
#12 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM

I find it hard to get him into the back position by myself... I guess I need more practice.

I bought mine used for $80... but if I hadn't found that & paid $92 it would still be worth it!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#13 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 PM

I've had both the classic and new generations ergos, and the classic does not have the zippered pocket, just the open pocket for the sleeping hood with some elastic at the top. All of the new generations have the zippered pockets.

The classics also don't have a buckle to unlatch the shoulder straps, which means it can't be worn on the hip, but is more comfortable for front carrying (at least for me, the buckles dug into my armpits on the ng). The classic is cheaper, too, but they've stopped making them now.

After a few tries, I found it really easy to use the back carry. You can find used ones for cheaper at www.thebabycarrier.com. HTH!

Tags
Soft Structured Carriers , Ergo Baby Organic Carrier , Ergo Baby Carrier Camel W Camel , Ergo Baby Carrier Cranberry W Cranberry

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page