What's with carrying your baby in a carseat? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like most things, they can definitely be overused. When our daughter was little we would often leave her in it to go into stores or restaraunts because she would often fall asleep in it - and I'd rather have her get a needed nap than wake her up to put her in a carrier. If we were going to be somewhere for an extended period of time (i.e., mall) I would get her out and into the sling and she would go back to sleep (most of the time). But as a parent of a child who doesn't fall asleep easily, I would leave her in the carseat if she was asleep most of the time because I didn't want to rock the boat. I totally think that was the right choice and hope that doesn't incur judgment from others - but if it does, oh well. We use the baby carriers more and more as she started being awake more. A couple weeks ago we were in a store and she was asleep in her carseat, and another mom came in with her baby in an ergo. I was really excited b/c I rarely see other moms in baby carriers - and then I thought oh man, she probably thinks I'm one of "those" moms who carries their baby around in the carseat all the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM

I hate carrying mine, but if we are going somewhere where there is a chance I will need to put the baby down, I need to have it. I have three other active children ages 3, 4, and 6, and sometimes it's not safe to drag the baby where I need to go to help them. I do take her out when she's awake and engaging me though, but I keep the seat there just in case I have to put her down quickly. I am not a babywearer so much as a baby holder, LOL. I feel babies need that mommy contact as much as possible but my daughter rejects slings and carriers and wants mommy to be holding her 100% in my arms She's a brat, LOL.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
my daughter rejects slings and carriers and wants mommy to be holding her 100% in my arms
Yeah, mine was like this too, for the longest time. She only started liking the carrier when she was old enough that we didn't need it so much! Rotten child.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 PM

We live in MI right by the lake where winters can be hard. I liked that I had a nice warm fleece cover on his car seat. I could put him in the seat, put some blankets around him, pop the cover on and he stayed nice and warm. When we got to the library I could close the peep hole, pop him on the stroller pull both sunshades up to keep the bitter wind out and he'd be toasty warm when we got inside. Now that spring is here I've got him in a convertable seat.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:08 AM

When my dd was a newborn, she often fell asleep in the car. I was always just so grateful that she was asleep that I left her in there. She would often sleep through entire shopping trips. If I had tried to take her out, she would have woken up and screamed, and then as soon as she was calm I would have had to put her back in the seat, which would have been more screaming. I'm so glad I had the option of leaving her in the seat when I needed to.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:59 AM
Banned

The only time I carry DD around in the carseat is if we're going in a restaurant to eat. I don't like to eat while wearing her because she always ends up with food on her head and she's too little to sit up on her own in a highchair. I hate lugging that damn seat around--it's HEAVY!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 AM

With my first I would carry him around in a car seat, which wasn't easy by the way, he was a tank! I really didn't know of a better way. Which seems silly to me now but I really didn't. That is why it is good for all of you mamas to strut your stuff and get out there and let other women see how much more comfortable and beautiful it is to wear your baby! When I wear my sling I get so many people who are fascinated by it who have never even heard of such a thing and they want to know where they can get one too!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancie View Post
I'm pregnant with my first, and maybe I'm missing something, but everywhere I go I see ladies carrying their babies around in carseats. I can understand a couple of cases where this might be handy, but all to often it seems to be a way to avoid actually holding the baby!
I doubt anybody sets out to use a bucket carseat to avoid holding the baby. I think people just buy what they're told they need and use it accordingly. I was lucky enough to have found MDC before my son was born and I was "told" to use a sling/carrier, so that's what I use to tote my kiddo around.

With that said, I do have a pet peeve about the bucket style seats. It bothers me when people just sit them on the floor/ground at busy or crowded places. It's bad enough that they could trip somebody, but the baby is also right at cigarette ash level, dog level, etc.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 AM

I only ever did it when DD or DS fell asleep in the car. No way I wanted to wake them up when they were sleeping peacefully.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
IBut when an infant has fallen asleep in the car, the baby seat's value as a sleeping-child-transporter cannot be overestimated!

I could rarely get my baby to sleep off of my body, but if he fell asleep in the carseat I could carry him inside and get maybe a whole 45 minutes to myself!

4 kids under 10
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
When my dd was a newborn, she often fell asleep in the car. I was always just so grateful that she was asleep that I left her in there.
:

4 kids under 10
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 AM

DS hated the carseat soooooo much, but after about 20-30 minutes of screaming in the car he'd fall asleep. This was usually about 5 minutes before we arrived at our destination. So yeah, I left him in the bucket until he woke up again. Usually didn't take more than 30 minutes. But you can get a lot of groceries bought in 30 minutes, or you can take a shower, or do a little yoga to soothe your achicg back (from all the slinging!)

Of course once he woke up, it was all up up up up again. Even when he slept int he house it had to be on me. It was nice to be able to put him down once in a while.

me=evil probably
Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gool0005 View Post
I think that for most people, especially new moms, it is just expected that you keep them in the infant seat at all times. I don't know if you have noticed or not but they aren't eve referred to as "car seats" anymore, they are "infant seats" (http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/infantshop.aspx) or even "infant carriers" (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...s_infant.html). With the heavy marketing of travel systems, it is no wonder that so many people have bought into this marketing ploy that is designed to keep kids in the car seats for as long as possible. It doesn't matter that a baby who falls asleep in an infant car seat will continue sleeping if taken out of a car seat and put in a sling, or even a stroller, or even held, it is the fact that 95% of what is seen in public is babies confined to infant car seats while not in a car.
It's the same as people who live in a formula bottle-feeding culture, if they aren't exposed to alternatives and only one method is very heavily marketed to them, you can harldy blame someone for following societal's norms and buying into what is being sold them.

Mine would wake up when you took her out.

Anyhow, I had a c-section, so I wasn't allowed to carry Rachel in her car seat for 6 weeks. If I had family around to carry her in it, I did. It was great for putting in shopping carts. I couldn't carry her in my ar,ms for long periods,either. To hard trying to hold her up off my insicion. But, if I was by myself, I either carried her in my arms, or used her stroller. (In which case I ened up carrying herpart of the time anyhow.

I also didn't know about baby wearing. I'd hear of slings, but there was a recall on one, and I thought there was only that kind, so I thought they were unsafe. I'd never heard of mei tais or wraps or anything.

I got a snuggli around 2 months, and used it some, btu she got too big by 3 months. I started seieng slings & wraps, and considered that, but thought since a snuggli wasn't comfy, nothing else would be. I did try a sling around 6 months, but it turns out I don't like them.

I got a mei tai around 19 months, and I LOVE it. I can't use it for more than 40 minutes, but it sure comes in handy at times. I also want to make a wrap.

Next baby, if I have one, I"ll use that alot more. I"ll still use the car seat when she's sleeping, though. They were also great for feeding her, altho she outgrew it not too long after starting solids. And I didn't LEAVE her in ti to feed her, I'd put her back in it for feeding. i was never one to leave an awake baby sitting in it for any length of time.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gool0005 View Post
It doesn't matter that a baby who falls asleep in an infant car seat will continue sleeping if taken out of a car seat and put in a sling,

I wish someone had been around to tell my son that when he was a baby, because he had certainly never heard of that concept.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellymama View Post
i know i always want to ask people if they have heard of slings or carriers...it seems like such a pain to drag them around with you. i love all my carriers, i have slings and wraps and ergos i am addicted to babywearing. plus my son hates the car seat with a burning passion. not to mention i decided to not get an "infant carrier" and i got a convertible car seat that does rear facing all the way to a toddler booster. i really like it, and you can't take it out of the car so that solves that!
Honestly, I wish someone would have asked me..I had no clue about slings or carriers until I saw a girl at walmart carrying her baby in one..I bought one then and there , it was an absolute life saver since Kailey's reflux soon after became out of control..but i truelly wished I knew from the time she was born.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
The people who live across from me recently aquired their infant grand daughter.

They litterally leave her in her carseat 24/7. They even feed her in there. The back of her head is completely bald, and flat. Her forehead is starting to protrude.

She falls asleep in there, so they leave her there. They put the carseat in a stroller to push her around. They put it from the stroller, to the car, to the shopping cart, to the car, back in the stroller.
Wow. I would think they would at least put the babe on the floor when they are at home so she could practice rolling, crawling, etc.

I use my bucket all the time for quick convenience store stops. It's just not worth the fuss to unstrap him for a 5 minute milk run. We also use it at restaurants, but he usually demands a lap to be bounced on after about 20 minutes.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:46 AM

I used the bucket more than I would have liked. I couldn't wear her for several months because it just hurt too much (c-section) DD would most certainatly wake if we got her out of the seat and she wouldn't be happy either! She always did and still does fight sleep so we did everything we could to protect the sleeping baby! Now I didn't like her to be in it if she was awake. Now that I have a MT we use it most of the time in the store. Even for quick runs! The bucket is just so darn heavy! I did take it in to people's houses and church etc. becuase it was nice to have a place to put her if she fell asleep, and to buckle her up inside before we went outside and faced weather. It was also a laziness factor! It gets tiring leaning over to buckle the baby into the car! Like PP have said they have a time and place, but are WAY overused in our society!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
Old 04-27-2007, 07:28 PM

I never let my daughter sleep in the bucket unless we were actually driving. It is a risk factor foe SIDS that actually makes sense not to mention it's a less than ideal position for spine development. It's a car seat, not an infant carrier.

User Tag List