What's with carrying your baby in a carseat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pregnant with my first, and maybe I'm missing something, but everywhere I go I see ladies carrying their babies around in carseats. I can understand a couple of cases where this might be handy, but all to often it seems to be a way to avoid actually holding the baby!

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
When ds was very small he would almost always fall asleep in the car seat. I often would leave him in the seat so he could sleep as getting him out of the seat would wake him. It was also handy when I had to go back to work and had to carry him into the sitter and carry all the other stuff.

I cherish every moment I get to hold my ds. Try not to judge when you do not know the whole story.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:20 PM

I think that for most people, especially new moms, it is just expected that you keep them in the infant seat at all times. I don't know if you have noticed or not but they aren't eve referred to as "car seats" anymore, they are "infant seats" (http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/infantshop.aspx) or even "infant carriers" (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...s_infant.html). With the heavy marketing of travel systems, it is no wonder that so many people have bought into this marketing ploy that is designed to keep kids in the car seats for as long as possible. It doesn't matter that a baby who falls asleep in an infant car seat will continue sleeping if taken out of a car seat and put in a sling, or even a stroller, or even held, it is the fact that 95% of what is seen in public is babies confined to infant car seats while not in a car.
It's the same as people who live in a formula bottle-feeding culture, if they aren't exposed to alternatives and only one method is very heavily marketed to them, you can harldy blame someone for following societal's norms and buying into what is being sold them.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayme371 View Post
When ds was very small he would almost always fall asleep in the car seat. I often would leave him in the seat so he could sleep as getting him out of the seat would wake him. It was also handy when I had to go back to work and had to carry him into the sitter and carry all the other stuff.

I cherish every moment I get to hold my ds. Try not to judge when you do not know the whole story.
ITA. I think especially with very young babies, the baby is calm and quiet and the parents are afraid of jostling the baby too much and making the baby start screaming and crying, so they try not to disturb Baby too much, and just keep Baby in the seat. Now, my babies screamed in their seats, so I couldn't wait to get where I was going and take them out of the carseat and into the sling ASAP! But if they had been content in the car seat I would have been TERRIFIED to take them out of it, lest they start screaming!

Single mom of 2 boys
Old 04-20-2007, 03:09 PM

I don't know because I was having babies long before this was ever a trend. I am not strong enough to carry these seats around so I don't use them this way. I also have to hang onto or keep track of other children at the same time. I slip my baby into the sling as we get out of the car and carry them that way. If they are asleep they snuggle in and stay asleep. I have made many trips through stores, back to the car, into the seat and home and the child never knew they had been moved. I think it helps them learn to sleep better. We often have long drives to town, we are seventy miles from the nearest city so I worry about leaving them in the same position for so many hours. Even if they are asleep I think they benefit from getting out of the seat and into the sling for awhile.
I don't like anyone to touch my babies when they are small so I wouldn't feel safe with them in a seat. I would also worry that if I got distracted the seat could fall or the child could be abducted. I am a real worry wort with a new baby.
If they are in the sling it also allows me to bounce around a bit with them if they do fuss or to pop them on the nipple all while unloading the grocery cart or taking a toddler to the potty. What do you do with a baby in a seat if you are in the bathroom?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:11 PM

The people who live across from me recently aquired their infant grand daughter.

They litterally leave her in her carseat 24/7. They even feed her in there. The back of her head is completely bald, and flat. Her forehead is starting to protrude.

She falls asleep in there, so they leave her there. They put the carseat in a stroller to push her around. They put it from the stroller, to the car, to the shopping cart, to the car, back in the stroller.

In all fairness, BOTH grandparents are not at all young, and have bad backs. They switched their work schedules so she is never in daycare, because they can't afford daycare. If I had the space in my daycare, I would keep her for a few hours just so she could see the world from a new position.

But, the whole carseat/stroller contraption thing has gotten a little out of hand with them.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:13 PM

I don't understand people using them as carriers for babies who are awake. But when an infant has fallen asleep in the car, the baby seat's value as a sleeping-child-transporter cannot be overestimated!

I could rarely get my baby to sleep off of my body, but if he fell asleep in the carseat I could carry him inside and get maybe a whole 45 minutes to myself!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:15 PM

I very very occasionally left Ani in her carseat if she fell asleep in it (which was pretty much never.) But I agree, people used to constantly tell me, oh, we used to go out to eat with our baby, we'd just leave him in his seat and stick him under the table. Ugh.

I saw someone walking around the grocery store yesterday with her baby in an infant carseat and she had some strap designed to go around her back. It looked like a totally rediculous sling.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post

I saw someone walking around the grocery store yesterday with her baby in an infant carseat and she had some strap designed to go around her back. It looked like a totally rediculous sling.

I saw someone with one of those too! It is the craziest thing ever -- if you are going to carry a baby in a sling, why in the world would you want to be hauling around the weight of the infant carseat also? Those things are not lightweight.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:32 PM

When I took my dd to a restaraunt, I kinda loved those little baby seats! It was nice to put her on the table, and finish my meal in peace and quiet. She liked to look all around this new nifty place, so she was content.

BUT, that was before carriers (other than over the shoulder baby holders) and it was shortly after infant carseats became a big deal. It was also before they started putting handles on infant car seats, so you had to cradle carry those darn things into the store or restaraunt.

Come to think of it, it was also before they started putting infant seats on shopping carts.

What did OUR parents do with us when we were infants?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:40 PM

I used it to carry the baby around after she fell asleep in the car (which she inevitably did). She had reflux, so we also used it for her naps at home during the early months, because she was more comfortable in it.

When she was awake and alert, there was no WAY she wanted to sit in a carseat! Or a sling or carrier, sadly. It was human arms all the time.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:49 PM

I think that they, like strollers, have a time and a place. What is sad that most mom's don't know any differently and for them lugging that seat around is the only option. If only they knew how easy a sling/pouch/mei tai was!!

I'm taking my sling w/ me to the hospital when DD is born so I can carry her out of the hospital in that, instead of the car seat. Hopefully, some other young mama's will see me and think "oh, what a neat idea!". I just think educating the general public about babywearing is what is needed to really make a difference.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
Old 04-20-2007, 04:42 PM

My DD would wake up when I moved her from the carseat to the sling, so if she was asleep, I left her in there to go in the store. She'd usually wake up when the car turned off as well, though, so that didn't happen often.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM

I tried to avoid dragging the entire carseat around but I did find our travel system to be handy- the carseat that would click into the stroller. This was mostly when he was asleep and I didn't want to jostle him or if it was cold outside and I wanted to quickly get him from car to shopping cart, etc.

This stage didn't last long as my son was too big for the infant carseat sooner than most and WAY too heavy to lug around in it.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancie View Post
I'm pregnant with my first, and maybe I'm missing something, but everywhere I go I see ladies carrying their babies around in carseats. I can understand a couple of cases where this might be handy, but all to often it seems to be a way to avoid actually holding the baby!
I usually carry my baby in the mei tai or sling, especially for long periods like walking around a grocery store. He takes all of his naps in my arms. But sometimes I leave him in the carseat if we're just going to pop in and out of someplace, like the other day when I went to the PUD office to pay the bill. It was just faster that way. I don't like lugging around a heavy carseat and ds wont sleep in it for any length of time anyway so I usually don't carry him in it. But another example is from the house to the car. I usually have my hands full trying to get my toddler to cooperate and get into the car, it's just much easier to have him in the carseat ready to go and I can just pop him in and get her situated so we can be off. But I wear and hold my baby for most of the day. I think it's so unfair of you to assume that just because you see a baby in a car seat that means the mom doesn't want to hold them! I love holding my baby but even I need a break sometimes sheez

I also *gasp* use a stroller sometimes with my oldest.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:15 PM

i know i always want to ask people if they have heard of slings or carriers...it seems like such a pain to drag them around with you. i love all my carriers, i have slings and wraps and ergos i am addicted to babywearing. plus my son hates the car seat with a burning passion. not to mention i decided to not get an "infant carrier" and i got a convertible car seat that does rear facing all the way to a toddler booster. i really like it, and you can't take it out of the car so that solves that!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 PM

We only use it when we are goign to go eat or soemthing out somewhere and I always have either my wrap or sling on hand if he decides that he doesn't want to sit in it anymore. But I do enjoy the time to eat without having him grabbing at me and my food, he normaly just watches everything going on while playing with a couple toy's.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my son hates his seat as soon as his ass hit the seat he started to sream and turn red so once he was calm and sleeping there was no way in hell was i going to wake him up and do it all over again just to go in one store i never walked around a mall with him in it but did have the seat in the snap and go stroller #1 warm seat no cold winter baby #2 good place to shove all the stuff i bought #3 didnt have to hold bags and baby just baby
Old 04-20-2007, 07:34 PM

My kids never minded their car seats - but I did! I couldn't stand carrying them around in those big and awkward buckets. Instead, I always just slipped them into a carrier of some sort straight out of the car and we went about our business in comfort and style!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 PM

Women are actually told it's safer, because if they drop them, they are somehow "protected" by the carseat. I was told that as I left the hospital. Some people do it because it's hot or sunny, and the carseat has a canopy. If my child was sleeping in his carseat I wouldn't take him out. I hated carrying him in it too often though. That thing was heavy with him in it and so bulky.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There are babies in my family that if not crying are left in the seat all day. What about holding, toting, massaging, hugging, cuddling, laying on the floor and all that other good baby stuff? I'm not saying to never use the seat, but use it sparingly!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:45 PM

I wont lie when DS was first born he was 6pounds 12 ozs. I was given a H2H ring sling and to me he hated it he screamed and just was horrble I had no idea there was anything else out thee. It was easier when he was so small and I had shopping etc to do or going someone like a rsturant wher a stroller was not always a good thing I left him in the seat. Now hat I have all these baby wearing options and ds loves o be worn just started to want it 9 months 26 pounds and 31 inchs lol we are just startin and the next one wnt see the seat as much

TIffay
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 PM

well, both my kids got huge quickly, and outgrew the length for those carseats within a couple months, so i never really used it much. and for the brief time that i did use it, it usually just stayed in the car like a car seat.

plus, my kids *hated* being in a car seat until they were old enough to face forward, so anytime they were in them they pretty much screamed their heads off until i took them out. so not something i personally had any interest in. luckily at the time we lived in the city and walked everywhere - it was rare that we drove at all, and when we traveled we did it at night so they would sleep through being in the car. i hope any future kids don't hate the car as much as the first two did - we live in the boonies now, the car is pretty much a necessity if you want to leave your house

i can see where it might be handy if you had a baby who actually fell asleep in it, and were just going to run in someplace quickly, or were going into your house from the car and wanted to let them sleep. my kids just weren't those kids, so i have no experience with that whatsoever.

like others have said, it can be a useful tool, but i think it's very abused.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:58 PM
ber

I never bought one for my sons though because I just couldn't imagine having to haul them around, and also I was looking for the most economical way to do the carseat thing, and it made more sense to me to just get a convertible and that was that.

Plus, I still remember the first time I saw an infant carseat when I was maybe 15, and how much I dreaded the day that I might have to carry around one of those things myself. I have the upper-body strength of a t-rex

So I've been very happy to use my convertible carseat and my carriers

But I definitely can see how they would come in handy - like in a restaurant like other PPs have mentioned, or just as a place to safely put DS down while I'm on my back at the OBGYN

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

Old 04-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayme371 View Post

:

Also, we used a lot to put Alivia on the cart (the infant car seats snap onto most shopping carts). I didn't really have access to a sling, so I never got to try one out. Plus, I had a c-section, and even though I recovered MUCH better than my first one, it still hurt to hold her a long time. And my mom can't hold a lot of weight for a long time either.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

What did OUR parents do with us when we were infants?
Two words: Milk Man (ours also delivered bread and eggs)
Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 PM

I went to a neighborhood bbq tonight wearing my 2 1/2 week old in a BH - it was so comfy and I really noticed the difference between my ds in the carrier and the baby girl left in a "pumpkin seat" (aka infant carrier) for most of the night off to the side.

My babe was talked with and seemed much more a part of the action . . . the other baby slept most of the time which may have been the point. I know those pumpkin seats can be useful at times and we really shouldn't judge - but I always found them to be SO heavy and I really enjoyed being connected with my ds tonight while I socialized with actual grown ups at the same time.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:06 AM

I agree with a couple of the other posters - when DD was little and she fell asleep in her car seat, I would pop the car seat into the Snap n Go. That was a lifesaver!! Of course, soon after she woke up, I would end up carrying her and just pushing the empty stroller.

I also liked taking it into restaurants, because (as another poster said) it was a good place to put her when we were eating. Again, though -- the car seat usually sat empty while we all passed her around.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE holding my daughter. I can't get enough of it. So like the others said -- don't judge if you don't know the whole story. Unless you see someone like the poster with the neighbors who *always* have their baby in a car seat, you don't know for sure what the situation is.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:13 AM

For me I kept them in the car seat if they were asleep. One major reason was because I had no idea what a sling even was having never heard of them until I came here after I had my second baby.

Second it kept me from having back trouble when I could just sit them on the shopping cart and go. I was never able to buy a stroller that the car seat sat on tho so that wasnt a option. I kept them in the infact seat till they were old enough to sit in the cart unassited.

Oh and another plus for me was as long as they were sleeping in the seat or sitting there happily no one was asking me if they could hold them. For me it was a big deal having others hold my kids I hated it and would stand there a nervous wreck waiting to get them back. I know now of course a sling would have been much better and had I known about them they would have been sling babies for sure.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 AM

As a twin mother I found the buckets very useful. Neither of my DC liked the slings and I tried several different types. They were very hot and wiggly babies. They like held but not being in the sling. As a short person with big babies I never found the slings too comfortable. Maybe I just never found the right one for me.

They like the car seats and I could go anywhere with my car seats and double snap n go. Plus with two, I couldn't always hold both at the same time so the buckets gave me a place to put the other one. I agree that it is just a tool and when used properly, it makes sense. When I went visiting I would always bring some blankets so I could take them out and let them stretch out and get a different view or just get down on the floor and interact with them.

I will admit that I have seen friends over use them.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little

User Tag List