carrying babies out of the hospital - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS rode down to the car in my arms in the wheelchair, then we showed them our carseat and put him in there....
#62 of 65 Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 PM

I was allowed to put Emma in a sling to carry her out of the hospital. Then again, because I am already a wheelchair user, I was in my own wheelchair. The only thing we had to prove was that I did indeed have a car seat (I had a convertible car seat in my parents car). The only thing the nurse balked at was the seat was in the back of the van, away from me. I explained to her that the middle of the van had to be empty for my wheelchair lift and strapping stuff, but it still made me pissed off that I had to explain all of this to her. My Mom just replied to the nurse that we know what we are doing and to not bother us, and she left.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 years and Angela, 2 years)
#63 of 65 Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 PM

My hospital had given me materials stating that they would check to make sure you had the car seat, but they never did with us. I was wheeled out with my son in my arms.

Maybe this is cynical, but I'm wondering if the employees "profile" the new mothers. If they think you look poor or very young, maybe they check, whereas if you appear affluent/older, they don't.
#64 of 65 Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Leaving the hospital was not a big production here. We left 12 hours after he was born and we didn't plan to be there in the first place. I don't even remember having anyone check that he was in a car seat or anything. He was, but only because we wanted to figure out how to get him in it before we ventured out to the parking garage. I also wasn't wheeled out, either. I walked out myself.

To be quite honest I don't remember details but I don't remember anyone checking that we had a car seat.
#65 of 65 Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post
My hospital had given me materials stating that they would check to make sure you had the car seat, but they never did with us. I was wheeled out with my son in my arms.

Maybe this is cynical, but I'm wondering if the employees "profile" the new mothers. If they think you look poor or very young, maybe they check, whereas if you appear affluent/older, they don't.
err..well, i was on medicaid and we left 4 days after i turned 18, i checked in the next night after i turned 18...
i think they gave up on me cause i was refusing and disputing everything and i brought my granddads laptop to prove my points so they wouldnt argue anymore! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page