carrying babies out of the hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else HAVE to use a carseat when they left the hospital having giving birth? Both times, we had to have the baby strapped into the car seat, and sitting on my lap in the wheelchair as we left. It would have been nice to have them in a sling, but hospital policy said no way.
Anyone else??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 06:03 PM

I had to use a carseat for mine too. I thought it was pretty ridiculous that I had to sit in a wheelchair.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#3 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 06:09 PM

They told me a had to put him in the carseat on the way down to leave. When I told them I planned to wear him they told me it was unsafe
They didn't really push it though, and I did wear him down in a pouch.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#4 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 06:11 PM

I dont really understand your question. I think you mean--they made you bring the carseat inside and hold it on your lap with you in the wheelchair to the car? (weird) I just had the carseat in the car and held him (in the wheelchair) til I got to the car. Why did they say no sling?

Before I gave birth I thought it was pretty crazy to have to be in the wheelchair too! but after, I didnt even want to move out of the bed.
#5 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 06:13 PM

I carried my son. I'll carry my daughter.

With my son, we had so much stuff, that we didn't bring the infant carseat into the hospital. We put him in the car when we got there.

I'm not sure if we will be using the infant seat with this one or our convertible. But either way, it will remain in the car.

What if you weren't using an infant seat (like using a convertible)? How could they possibly make you put your baby in that inside the hosp?

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#6 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 PM

I think the idea is supposed to be that they make sure you have a car seat. But, many hospitals leave it to the nurses, and some of their ideas are just odd.

When dd was born, I brought the car seat into the lobby and the nurse got all pissy that she'd be too cold in April (going 3 feet from the lobby to the pre-heated car?!?!) and swaddled her in about 4 blankets. I said "we have to strap her into the carseat in the car anyway. What are you doing?" and she actually said "you can just hold her in the carseat, why would you need the straps!?!?!?!" If I ended up with in the hospital this time (I'm planning a home birth, so not likely!), we live literally 2 blocks from the hospital, and I don't see the point in a taxi or car getting home. Finding a parking space would take 3 times longer than walking home!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#7 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 PM

egads...I hope they don't make me use a car seat! I'm planning very carefully which carrier I want to take to carry her out in serious babywearing style!

not to mention being an advocate to other families and mama's at the hospital, KWIM?!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#8 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 PM

Similar here. I did not try to carry, but we had a convertible in the car, no infant seat. They did not want to leave with the baby in our arms. They apparently had to see the baby strapped in the seat while leaving the maternity unit on 2nd floor. : So DH had to get the seat out of the car, bring it to the room, we put baby in, walked out like that... Got her out, seat went in the car... then baby went in. The thing is that they have no idea if your seat is properly installed, just that the baby is in it.
Next time, I would just borrow someone's infant seat, get the baby out of the maternity unit like that, they will never know that she is going in a different seat.
My husband did rub it in and asked the nurse what would happen if someone was to take public transit to get the baby home, so no car seat. She was quite puzzled about it...

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#9 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 PM

My oldest was on my lap in his bucket. With the twins, they pushed them out to our car in thier bassinet thingy.
#10 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBaby View Post
egads...I hope they don't make me use a car seat! I'm planning very carefully which carrier I want to take to carry her out in serious babywearing style!

not to mention being an advocate to other families and mama's at the hospital, KWIM?!
It was actually your post on another thread that made me start this question.

Kinda like..."Hey! I didn't get to do that!"
#11 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 PM

They asked us to bring the carseat in, and I told them that we didn't have an infant seat. The nurses are required by law to make sure the baby is going home in a carseat, so she had to come downstairs and wait for my husband to bring the car around. We have had a convertible seat from the beginning, so we couldn't bring the carrier in.

So we could have carried her in a sling... but she was coming out of her 6 day NICU stay, and we had never had her in one before.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#12 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 PM

Now we weren't actually allowed to carry the baby out of the hospital in the bucket seat. A nurse followed us out to the car to watch that we properly strapped DD in.

I was actually kind of irritated about that because it was January in Buffalo and not real warm out. I wanted to strap her in and tuck blankets around her before we went out, but they said no way.

ETA: We now live about a 5 minute walk from the hospital, so for the next one, I'm actually pretty tempted to suck it up and walk home with the baby in a sling just to see what they say.
#13 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 09:53 PM

With Dd, the nurse strapped her into the bucket seat before we could leave. However, I just walked out of the ward, and I had a C-section! I did fine, but had to walk slowly. All our gear and stuff went in the wheelchair, which I think I pushed...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#14 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
At the hospital I was at they wouldn't let you carry the baby out in the carseat. The mom had to carry the baby while riding in the wheel chair. They suggested you bring the seat in to adjust the straps and then to have dad take the seat back out to the car. It didn't matter for us since we didn't use that style seat. We have a Britax decathalon. I can't imagine trying to carry a baby out of the hospital in that thing.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#15 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 PM

We did not have to use a car seat or a wheel chair.

What about people who don't use buckets?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#16 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 10:24 PM

We were never told by the hospital what to do. We just brought the car seat in when we were leaving the hospital. No one even checked to see if she was strapped in properly.

Thankfully, I didn't have to sit in a wheelchair; I would have protested very vocally. I didn't sit in one post birth when moving to the postpartum room. I walked the whole way and the nurses were looking at me like I was crazy. But my stitches hurt so bad I didn't want to sit down.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#17 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that different states have different laws about this. With dd, I had to sit in a wheelchair and hold her. No carseat checking or anything. They let me know that after we pull away in the car, they were no longer liable. Easy enough...
#18 of 65 Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 PM

I hope I don't end up in the hospital. ugh

That being said, I will do what I want, when I want, and they can kiss my butt if they don't like it. I'm making a ring sling for my new babe and intend to carry her around in it, her will permitting of course, from the moment I can stand and hold her, on.
#19 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 AM

I had to sit in a wheelchair and hold her in the carseat i thought it was weird but was to rushed to argue(i wanted out of that hospital)
#20 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
They asked us to bring the carseat in, and I told them that we didn't have an infant seat. The nurses are required by law to make sure the baby is going home in a carseat, so she had to come downstairs and wait for my husband to bring the car around. We have had a convertible seat from the beginning, so we couldn't bring the carrier in.
same here
#21 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 12:56 PM

I felt so awkward in the wheel chair with the bucket..I thought I was going to drop her. They "had" to wheel me out and see the car seat. Kinda silly since they don't check if it is installed correctly.

We are having a homebirth this time and I plan to use the sling as soon as possible.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#22 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM

With dd in Louisiana I was in a wheel chair carrying dd in her bucket seat. With ds they wanted me in the wheel chair carrying ds although we could have pushed him out in the basinet thing. I needed the wheel chair as I was very weak from blood loss. The IBCLC pushed us out to the truck and was recommending a sling to put ds in so people wouldn't be getting in his face. I let her know I had one packed in the diaper bag and a collection at home

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#23 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasswifey View Post
I just had the carseat in the car and held him (in the wheelchair) til I got to the car.
Same here.

A nurse did fallow us to make sure we had a car seat. She was very perplexed as to why we didn't have one of those bucket seats. She even said that we needed to go get a bucket seat for ds. I told her that this was for infants up to toddlers and even pointed out the sticker on the seat. She then proceeded to tell me that he was to small: What!? is the car manufacturer lying!? Not to mention DS was a little over 10 lbs. and the seat said it was ok for 7lbs on up.:
#24 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 03:52 PM

Bah. Where my oldest was born, they insisted I ride out in a wheelchair while my husband carry baby in his arms. Then they claimed to be required to buckle the baby into his seat. Only......the never unswaddled him. So I pulled over as soon as we left the hospital parking lot, freed his legs and re-buckled him in. If we'd been in an accident with him buckled like that, he'd have slid right out. I was ticked. Last hospital only insisted on seeing the seat, which we were able to leave in the car and just pull up to the exit door.
#25 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Oh I get it now. IIRC, there was a nurse that walked out to the car with us, to make sure that the baby was in a carseat on the way home.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#26 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 07:13 PM

walked out, babe in arms no problem and so glad no one tried to tell me otherwise!
#27 of 65 Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
g&a

We were even told not to walk around the ward carrying the baby - she was supposed to be in the rolling basinette. What a dumb rule. Were they afraid I would drop her? I suppose I shouldn't carry her at home either, lest I fall down the stairs or something. Maybe we should handle our kids with gloves, or better yet, seal them in sterile bubbles until they're 18.

FWIW I was never offered a wheelchair (c-section - would have liked one) and had to walk to the other end of the parking lot. That was dumb.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#28 of 65 Old 04-28-2007, 09:16 PM

we had to bring the bucket upstairs and strap him in there, and then i carried the bucket on my lap in the wheelchair.

i can't help wondering - for those who didn't need/want a Wheelchair - how long were you in the hospital? we left 2 hrs after the lo was born, and i can't imagine having the energy to walk out!! not to mention the swelling 8|
#29 of 65 Old 04-28-2007, 10:15 PM

I was up walking a half hour after birth.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#30 of 65 Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 PM

I was walking around about two hours after birth, much to the hospital employees' dismay.

They didn't like that I took off the monitors and walked around during labor, either. Bad Patient!!!

The (very pregnant) nurse wheeled me out, against my protests (hell, I walked INTO L&D, surely I could walk OUT of it), with me holding Katie. She just asked if we had a carseat.

Sure did...in the back of a jeep wrangler...put baby in through the "trunk". Hubby didn't think very far ahead on that one.

User Tag List