Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Babywearing (http://www.mothering.com/forum/245-babywearing/)
-   -   Ergo or Beco? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/245-babywearing/666145-ergo-beco.html)

callieollie 05-02-2007 01:10 AM

I have heard good things about both so wanted to hear from others what they liked or didn't like about these. I'm sort of a baby carrier addict so I already have 3 other ones (a hotsling, ring sling, and moby wrap) that I use for different purposes. I never liked the hotsling (the cotton just was very stiff and never comfortable for either me or baby), the ring sling I use all the time for quick trips to the mall, walking my dog, etc. but it hurts my back if I use it too long. The moby wrap I like for longer walks but only if I can put it on at home (I can't master getting it on while I"m out in public without it dangling all over the ground). I used the moby a lot when my ds was an infant and loved it but now it just seems to take too much time to get on and so I don't use it as much. I'm looking at an ergo or beco to try out a back carry (I haven't done that with the moby yet and just don't really feel comfortable with it). I'm also hoping that something that just snaps in like the ergo or beco will be easy enough for my husband to use (right now he doesn't use any of the carriers because he says they are too confusing!). Thanks for your help!

samantha546 05-03-2007 03:06 AM

If you do a search, you'll find that this topic has come up MANY times. I personally love the patterns on the beco but am not fond of it for comfort. I find the ergo to be much more comfortable.. but not exactly stylish-- it's more function than fashion imo. You'll find people may agree or disagree

cchrissyy 05-04-2007 03:31 PM

I've been using an Ergo since early '04, liked it enough to buy a NG when they came out, but right now I am in total honeymoon love with a Beco! To me, the Beco is lighter, folds up smaller, nicer fabric, looks stylish and not like I'm going hiking.

My HB uses both, though he's resistant to slings, pouches, and MTs.

LittleLlama 05-05-2007 04:26 AM

I've only tried an Ergo for a little bit and I own a Beco. I did not fine one to be any better or even different in "function". They have the exact same straps in pretty much the same places. Some will say that one is better than the other depending on the exact proportions of you/your baby, but I coudn't tell one way or the other.

The Ergo is made of a much heavier fabric and has a removable pouch. The Beco is, as mentioned, easy to fold up and has the pocket intigrated into the back.

rzberrymom 05-05-2007 05:18 AM

I find the Beco more comfy, mainly because the back is much higher and it holds DD more snuggly against me. Although, in the winter, I preferred the Ergo since it was easier to get it over jackets and sweaters. My DD (26 months) prefers the Ergo since the seat is much wider (I think older babies may find the wide seat more comfy, since their legs dangle more in the Beco). The Beco folds up more easily, so it's easier to carry when you're not using it. And of course, it's prettier. The Ergo fades more easily, but the fabric is much sturdier than the Beco.

They're really both great carriers. You can't go wrong.