Babyhawk VS. Mei Tai - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
when I look online, they look pretty similar. What are some of their differences and do you like one better than the other? thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Babyhawks are one brand of mei tai. What is the other brand you're looking at? Do you have a link?

I have a Babyhawk and LOVE it, so I don't think you could go wrong buying one.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#3 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just went to meitaibaby.com. It looks similar to the babyhawk but I wasn't sure.

How hard is the babyhawk to do if you are out and about? If I wanted to put my ds (he's' 14 months old) in a back carry, is it easy to do in a parking lot without having anything dragging on the ground?
#4 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post

How hard is the babyhawk to do if you are out and about? If I wanted to put my ds (he's' 14 months old) in a back carry, is it easy to do in a parking lot without having anything dragging on the ground?
Babyhawk is quite easy. I have one. But the straps are long (and I got the extra-long ones) and I have not figures out how to ties it without them dragging on the ground. It doesn't really bother me, though, because the ends aren't really touching the baby.

Hope that helps!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#5 of 6 Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Most mei tais have similar construction - that is, they're a center panel with shoulder and waist straps. So putting one on is going to be the same for almost any brand (excluding those that have a chest clip, or variations on the mai tai like an onbuhimo).

I think they're very easy to put on while out and about. I've actually worn two at once - my nephew on my chest and my toddler on my back. Takes me just a couple of minutes to get both of them tied on. I don't really mind if the straps hit the ground but I tend to tie it on near the car, so I make sure any extra fabric is inside the car rather than on the ground. If it does hit the ground, though, it's no big deal. It takes a LOT of abuse for a MT to get dirty, and they're machine-washable.

I own three mei tais: one from Mei Tai Baby, one from Nestlings, and one from Babyhawk. All three are nice and well-constructed but they vary in terms of shoulder padding and sturdiness. The MTB is the least sturdy/strong/comfortable. I like it, but more for a young infant than for a heavier older infant or toddler. I wouldn't wear my toddler in it. The Nestlings one is intermediate - slightly nicer shoulder padding, slightly stronger fabrics, but again, just a touch less supportive than I like. My Babyhawk is AWESOME. After trying it, I don't think I'd get any other mei tai. It's very sturdy and comfortable on my shoulders for a long time.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#6 of 6 Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 AM

Babyhawk is a great brand, although I much prefer the taller body for versatility. You can always roll the bottom when you know your baby is going to be awake and want arms out, but having the taller body (Toddlerhawk) is great for when you know baby will fall asleep. Kozy, Sachi, and Catbirdbaby are other really good brands you might want to take a look at.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page