That's ridiculouis????? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, someone actually said that to me yesterday when I was carrying my 17lb, 10 month old in a Moby. A man walked past us, rolled his eyes and said, "you need to buy a stroller, that's ridiculous carrying her around in that thing, she's too big".........I said nothing and walked past wishing I had been carrying my 4 year old instead!!!

Eeeesh, I misspelled in my title, and I can't figure out how to edit it.......sorry
#2 of 28 Old 05-11-2007, 11:11 PM

He was jealous. I still carry my 25 lb 11 month old in my carrier. I want a wrap, but I dont know how to use it, and I am afraid that I will drop him out of one after I have wrapped it wrong.

Again, the guy was jealous. I hope that you continue to proudly and fearlessly carry your babe in your moby wrap. HAPPY MOTHER's DAY.

-L

PS: You must be doing something awesome if its getting that much attention. I bet that that guy's legs hurt and he wanted to get in the wrap... and all that he could do was insult you, because of his envy

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#3 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 AM

To rude people who make stupid comments.

M'Liss
#4 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 12:03 AM

When is carrying a 10 month old ridiculous? Sheeesh. I carry my 30 lb toddler everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And I don't even have an actual carrier, he's just resting on my big fat 7 month pregnant tummy. Double dog dare someone to tell me that's ridiculous!
#5 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 01:07 AM

"It's a lot easier to wear her than lug around the huge, heavy, bulky, awkward car seat bucket."

or the all-encompassing and hard to argue with:

"This works for us" or "She loves it! And so do I! Hands free!"
#6 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post
A man walked past us, rolled his eyes and said, "you need to buy a stroller, that's ridiculous carrying her around in that thing, she's too big
A stranger? I think "Did I ask you?" : would just fall out of my mouth!

How strange that he would comment at all.
#7 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe you should have said "you're not walking so well yourself, you ought to get a wheelchair"

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#8 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Those are the moments where I break out the "hmmm, that's funny, I don't remember asking for your opinion." I've had to use that on 2 people, and it absolutely stops them in their tracks.
#9 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, I was dumbfounded and really couldn't think of anything to say. I've never had anyone make anything but good comments about any of my carriers (I'm a bit of a carrier freak, and I have tons)!!

I still carry my almost 4 year old in both my sling and my Moby....I wonder what he would have had to say about that???!!!
#10 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 05:14 PM

What's ridiculous is a complete stranger making such a stupid comment! :
#11 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 05:15 PM

I agree with pp's. It would have just slipped out~ "Did I ask for your opinion? Wow, mind your own business!" What a jerk.
If you want to edit your title click edit then go advanced and it will let you change your title.

11/06 and 1/09 :
#12 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
What's ridiculous is a complete stranger making such a stupid comment! :
My thoughts exactly! Some people have no class.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#13 of 28 Old 05-12-2007, 09:30 PM

I'm sorry you were the victim of drive-by parenting! Ppphtthththt on him. He's probably just jealous because he never got held as baby.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#14 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 04:04 AM

EXACTLY! I like pp's response-- My response would be "Don't take out your aggressions for your mom on me!" I've used that when people rudely comment when we're NIP. Or even something like, "Your poor kids!"
#15 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 05:18 AM

how 'bout " if i want bad parenting advice , i'll ask your mother" , ooohhh rude people tick me off!
#16 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Maybe you should have said "you're not walking so well yourself, you ought to get a wheelchair"
:
#17 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 01:39 PM

depending on my mood, i may have kicked him in the shins...i HATE when people look at me funny for babywearing! i have had old ladies shake their heads when i am putting ds in a hotsling, and other people look at me crazy like: where is your stroller? andi live in a super crunchy area, so i can imagine what its like in other places. i went to target a few weeks ago and i was THE ONLY MOMMY WEARING HER BABY. and there were about a million mommies there, with brand new newborns strapped to the cart in their carseats. i saw a man in the waiting room at my doctor whose newborn was crying so hard, and he just kept rocking the carseat and trying to stick a pacifier in her mouth. THAT IS RIDICULOUS! i just wanted to run over and pick her up and cuddle her, because i bet that is all she wanted. people are weird. but i don't say anything to them for what they are doing! why do people think that they can just say things like that....okay, rant over!
#18 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Sorry to be off-topic, but this just sort of struck me as the sort of offhand comment about wheelchairs that kind of constitutes casual, normalized disablism. I know you didn't mean it that way, and I'm not even so sure why it bothers me so much, but it's sort of the fact that the snappy comeback/insult in the statement lies in implying that the man should be in a wheelchair, which sort of makes a wheelchair=insult connection.

There are wheelchair-using mamas on MDC... I'm not trying to be oversensitive, but I do think disablism passes much more easily on this forum than, for instance, racism or sexism, and it is a pretty prevalent societal problem.

That said, that guy needs to shut his mouth! That comment of his really steamed me : .
#19 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 02:57 PM

what a dork (is that alright to say?)...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#20 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 03:04 PM

I always give "the look" and say

"Do I know you?" while looking repulsed and dismissive.....

it's an art
#21 of 28 Old 05-13-2007, 03:15 PM

I was at a big, noisy, overcrowded graduation party last night with my boys. My toddler would run off and play for a bit, then come back to me and "up up up Mummy UP ME", and I'd hoist him up, hold him until he was happy again, and off he'd go. I got a LOT of looks, and a few people said "wow he's heavy, you should just put him down". He's my BABY. And he didn't know anybody but me and a few other random people. :

You'd love to hear twhat I said when they all asked "is your next baby a boy too, or did you get lucky and have a girl this time?" Grrrrrr.
#22 of 28 Old 05-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Uh, so rude and ignorant. My mom always tells me that my carriers are ridiculous and embarrassing

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#23 of 28 Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM

I heard all kinds of fun comments from a teen mother who had her child in one of those carseats that is a stroller too. I love the look of shock when they see the little feet sticking out and realize that "there's a baby in there!?"
#24 of 28 Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 PM

I wonder... how do they think people got their pre-walkers around before they invented buggies?! Prams were a Victorian invention.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#25 of 28 Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
how 'bout " if i want bad parenting advice , i'll ask your mother" , ooohhh rude people tick me off!

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#26 of 28 Old 05-19-2007, 01:35 AM

Put on a big smile and say, "Thank you sooo much for the advice! I don't know how I've managed all this time without it!"
#27 of 28 Old 05-20-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Wow, this totally cracked me up.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hate when rude people decide to open their mouths and try to pass off their advice, (which, not to be too kind, but I have found most often they are of the decidedly NON-babywearing generation - that said - it doesn't make it okay, but I understand where it comes from).
When anyone says anything to me I do one of two things, depending on my mood. If it's said in a sincere, I'm-trying-to be-helpful way, I smile, and say "Thanks for the advice, but as you can see, we're both happy with our way.", or I look them up and down, and say "Oh really? What are these new-fangled "strollers" you speak of? I've never heard of them.", and then I walk off.

Michelle
#28 of 28 Old 05-21-2007, 01:40 PM

That would be a time to break out the "We don't *do*....." as in:

Why don't you just pump so you can give her a bottle while you're out?
No way - we don't *do* bottles.

Why don't you use a stroller?
We don't *do* strollers - highly inconvenient things!

You use cloth diapers? Isn't that a lot of work?
We don't *do* disposables - why would I when my washing machine works?

That's not to say that I stick to my statements 100%.....because I *do* occasionally use an umbrella stroller or a 'sposie dipe. But strangers don't need to know that, especially when making uninvited comments!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page