Game- You Can't Do That while Babywearing! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
Oh, I think that would have to be non-negotiable in our house. It really is a danger not to have light available. I have really been on DH about using matches for other purposes (okay, smoking but not in the house). Our matches and candles are all high up anyway, but supposing she could reach them, she'd have to learn to deal with "no".
no omg i wish it is the 1/50 i cant take that chance she can reach the top of the kitchen cupboards she is a monkey and she is just turning 5 but i deal i am really good at walking around in the dark and know where everything is so i guess this is what works in our house
#62 of 72 Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there's another one - you can't smoke while babywearing (of course you shouldn't smoke anywhere near a child, but particularly horrid to do it while the baby is right there on you).
#63 of 72 Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Banned

really i meant walking outside in the dark, and downhillskiing, i never thought cross country because i downhill it all the way! hate cross country skiing!
#64 of 72 Old 05-24-2007, 02:36 AM

OK, on the ironing thing. That just can't be safe! I"ve thought about it, as I likely wouldn't have had to quit my job if I could have worn Rachel while ironing, but she'd grab or kick the iron. Even on my back she could still twist & reach it.
#65 of 72 Old 05-24-2007, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

I have to say I agree about the ironing. But we'll leave it open and give no points to anyone for that...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#66 of 72 Old 05-24-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia760 View Post
downhillskiing, i never thought cross country because i downhill it all the way! hate cross country skiing!
We've done downhill skiing.Skiing pic

My DH is practically an olympic level skiier, and I always joke that he's more secure on skis than he is walking. So, I was more than ok with it.
#67 of 72 Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
there's another one - you can't smoke while babywearing (of course you shouldn't smoke anywhere near a child, but particularly horrid to do it while the baby is right there on you).

I saw someone do this yesterday! Ironically, I always felt like everytime I ran into this woman she tried to slip a comment into our conversation to make herself feel like the more crunchy, uber-ap parent or whatever.

I felt bad for the baby, but laughed pretty hard at how she could be so condescending and then do something even the most mainstream unattached parents know is wrong.

And to the poster about the IUD - I have had an IUD put in while babywearing...it's not a big deal, basically like getting a pap, so if you have the baby in a front carry it works fine.
#68 of 72 Old 06-02-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

You guys, I am so behind and I promised to tally up the scores. Really, I'll do it this time. Really. Unless someone else volunteers.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#69 of 72 Old 06-03-2007, 01:46 AM

"you can't rollerblade while babywearing" - Yes you can Ive seen many people on the boardwalks doing it

you cant get a spray on tan while BW

You cant get an epidural while BW

Not sure if this has been refuted but.. Somebody said you cant use the restroom while BW but I have many times! I put baby on the front and go about my business

You cant swim in the deep end while BW

You cant jump on a trampoline safely

You cant leave a baby behind at a store while BW

You cant tandem nurse while BW toddlers (or can you?)
#70 of 72 Old 06-03-2007, 02:52 AM

[QUOTE=twopinknoblue;8200911]OK, I'll play........

You can't clean your gutters while wearing your baby

My dh DID!!!! Our first baby was a few days old, born at home. Home by the way was under construction and we had no running water, so I left baby with DH and went to the neighbors for a shower. When I came back what did I see but DH up on the roof cleaning gutters with 2 day old in the sling!!! My heart just about jumped into my throat. Sometimes things that shouldn't be done are done by the very stressed and inexperienced. IT took a while before I could trust him alone with baby again.

You can't (or at least shouldn't) wear your baby while climbing trees

I guess it just depends on how high? I've climbed very low sturdy branches while BW. Sitting in a tree is very theraputic. I've also chased my toddler to get him back down low branches of trees before he gets too high.
#71 of 72 Old 06-03-2007, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well like we have discussed, some things are physically possible but so dangerous that they are contraindicated. Like cleaning the gutters. If my DH had done that, I think I would have been wearing my baby at his funeral, and then in jail. Argh!

"You cant leave a baby behind at a store while BW"

Okay, can we generalize that and just say it is physically impossible to be separated from baby while babywearing, by definition?

#72 of 72 Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post

you can't (or maybe just shouldn't) jump on a trampoline while babywearing.
We have a small trampoline (rebounder) that we used a lot to put ds to sleep while babywearing (gentle bouncing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBassett View Post
You can't try on new tops- at least I can't, if someone knows how to get a shirt on and off around a baby carrier lmk I always have to take DS off first.
Dh once changed his shirt with ds (about 2 mo) asleep in a pouch. I don't know how he did it, but I was only gone about 10 minutes and I know he didn't put ds down because he always woke up right away if we did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
You can't babywear while ironing. (oh how I wish you could. it'd make my life easier)
Until ds started taking naps in bed (a couple months ago), I would only iron while he was asleep in a back carry. I didn't want him walking around while I was ironing. It seemed fine to me since he was asleep.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page