Frustrating Cashier yesterday - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 05-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad you got some resolution!

I think even if she was developmentally challenged, it would still be appropriate to speak to a manager and ask that some education take place. The manager should be aware of what the employee's capabilities are and should be able to explain things in an appropriate way.
#32 of 45 Old 05-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Maybe I just look too friendly, but I've had people come up and try to touch my boy while in his carrier. On my chest. Just reach their face and hands inches from his head and my boobs, sometimes while he's eating!
I just let this one comment go, because I've stuck my foot in my mouth on occasions, and I don't think the girl was intending offense. I was holding my son and trying to manipulate my wallet to pay for groceries and keep an eye on my nephew and niece (9,6). The cashier says to me and the bagboy, 'what a cute little baby. with that blonde hair and blue eyes, he's a little aryan baby.' to the bagboy, 'do you know what an aryan is?' he seems uncomfortable and shrugs no, i'm thinking what?? and she says, 'you know, like hitler' and i'm uncomfortable thinking, did she just associate my cute little bundle of baby with hitler because he's white and blonde/blue? what is this going to mean in the future?
But, at least she didn't try to touch him!
#33 of 45 Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingPacifier View Post
The cashier says to me and the bagboy, 'what a cute little baby. with that blonde hair and blue eyes, he's a little aryan baby.' to the bagboy, 'do you know what an aryan is?' he seems uncomfortable and shrugs no, i'm thinking what?? and she says, 'you know, like hitler' and i'm uncomfortable thinking, did she just associate my cute little bundle of baby with hitler because he's white and blonde/blue? what is this going to mean in the future?
OHHHHH MY GOOOOOD!!!! I dont know wether to laugh or cry my eyes out!!! My son has blonde hair and brown eyes and that always ellicites comments... Thats just sad and pathetic!!!!

On the touching bebe while in carrier thing...yeah whats up with that! I normally back carry ds and i'll STILL have people touch him...it drives me insane...sure its probably less than if he was in a stroller...but youd think that he's on my body...people wouldnt invade the personal space...oi vey!

Umm Ibrahim

#34 of 45 Old 05-19-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe I just look too friendly, but I've had people come up and try to touch my boy while in his carrier. On my chest. Just reach their face and hands inches from his head and my boobs, sometimes while he's eating!
I just let this one comment go, because I've stuck my foot in my mouth on occasions, and I don't think the girl was intending offense. I was holding my son and trying to manipulate my wallet to pay for groceries and keep an eye on my nephew and niece (9,6). The cashier says to me and the bagboy, 'what a cute little baby. with that blonde hair and blue eyes, he's a little aryan baby.' to the bagboy, 'do you know what an aryan is?' he seems uncomfortable and shrugs no, i'm thinking what?? and she says, 'you know, like hitler' and i'm uncomfortable thinking, did she just associate my cute little bundle of baby with hitler because he's white and blonde/blue? what is this going to mean in the future?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#35 of 45 Old 05-19-2007, 05:03 PM

i think its a ua violation to say what i wouldve said and done...
#36 of 45 Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Some of you guys had me cracking up, I wish I was so witty sometimes. I've never had anyone say anything about carrying Ilana or Evan and I have several carriers. I have a homemade Moby and the first week I wore it out, I had about 5 people stop me to ask where they could get one too! It was great. I have been a cashier and a bank teller and the thought of touching a baby after doing those jobs, makes me squirm, money is NASTY!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#37 of 45 Old 05-20-2007, 01:46 PM

I work in a major grocery chain, in the Deli to be specific. What that cashier said would have gotten one of our people into major trouble. We've had people written up for even less then that. I can't imagine anyone not getting in trouble for even a veiled threat like that.

While my kids are too old to be worn, and when they were small enough I did not know about stuff like that, even then I never would have said ANYTHING like that to a mother who was wearing her baby. (Knowing me and my curiousity, I would have asked about it actually LOL)
#38 of 45 Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 PM

I like to talk to babies when I'm standing in line behind them. They ALWAYS respond well.....so what is the deal with feeling the need to touch? Especially today, when it's not OK to touch ANY stranger without permission? What an odd experience!
#39 of 45 Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I take it she hasn't seen any pictures of Hitler
#40 of 45 Old 05-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
I take it she hasn't seen any pictures of Hitler
TOTALLY!! What an ...UA violation...
#41 of 45 Old 05-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2snugbugs View Post
I would have returned my purchases and walked out.
I wouldn't have even returned them. I would have said "Well congrats! For your rudeness I'm taking my perfectly fine children and taking our business else where."

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#42 of 45 Old 05-22-2007, 01:59 AM

UGH! How RUDE! You have way more composure than me. I think I would have cried.

I am so mad for you.
#43 of 45 Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 AM

That's ridiculous. :/ I hate being told my baby is too hot or cold. This is totally unrelated to babywearing but once I went in for an ob/gyn appointment. The ladies at the front desk asked if they could watch my baby while I was examined, so I said sure since they were all like nurses and assistants and stuff. After my appointment they come in and are like "We're going to 'mom' you for a second. Your baby is overdressed. He was hot and sweaty. Whatever you're comfortable in that's what he's comfortable in." I was wearing a skirt and shirt, and I wasn't comfortable...but I'm an adult, I can handle being chilly. It was 69 degrees outside and pouring down rain, and he'd been wearing a footed romper. They weren't quite that polite though. They were all upbeat about it but they said it in just this completely condescending manner. I got a call from a lady asking me how my visit was, like a survey thing, and I told her all about it. She remembered that day that we had the rainstorm, cuz it'd been just a week ago, and she was appalled that they'd acted that way. What's even more annoying is that when I went back in, one of the main nurses that had been "mom'ing" me took my vitals. She made some comment about how my son was dressed well for the weather, like "nice and cool" today or something like she was taking note of the improvement. I know she was alluding to the time before. I just wanted to tell her off right there. :/

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#44 of 45 Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM

I am totally flabergasted at what happened. Plus the comments and actions from adults towards children. I've been lucky to never be in such a situation but I'm not a touchy feelily person, so I hope I give off that vibe. I'm glad you went back and told the manager but I would have gone one step farther and wrote to coporate too. It is not right if you are doing business with a company to put up with 2nd or 3rd rate service. When I worked I always gave the customer 100% and if I couldn't then I would find someone who could. I also would never touch someone else or their child. Whatever happened to respecting someone and their personal space?
#45 of 45 Old 05-22-2007, 12:09 PM

The things people will say. Sheesh. Kudos to the OP for going back and talking to the manager.

I've gotten WAY more positive comments than negative ones, but the negative ones always take the cake, ykmim? Like from my sister, who also wears her babies, and should know better, said to my sleeping then 8 week-old, "Why is your mama hiding you in there? We want to see you!" And a guy in front of me in line at the grocery store, "How uncomfortable!" while looking at my totally happy, then six-month-old forward facing in my pouch sling with crossed legs. Siiiiiiiiiigggggghhhh. I just smiled and said, "She LOVES it." Oh, and my mom... At around four months, told me that I was only going to be able to keep THAT up for another couple of months. Whatever lady, DD is now 12 months, and still loves to be slung.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page