Will I ever need to use a stroller? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sell, but go for something "in between", like a Chico or similar umbrella-type/size that will give you a basket underneath and a bit more stability. Umbrellas are great, but it IS nice to have something a bit sturdier that can hold more "stuff".
#32 of 37 Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM

yeah, I agree you may someday want *A* stroller but you'll never want *that* stroller.

I'm thrilled right now with my maclaren thriumph. it's so light and folds so small and easy, but it's certaintly not "cheap" in feeling, durability, or price
and it has a shoudler strap so you can carry it up stairs easy. I do that whenever I get takeout at a certain favorite upstairs restaurant.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#33 of 37 Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 PM

Yeah I was going to suggest a Maclaren--either a Triumph or a Volo.

That said (and this is more of a general thing for anyone reading this thread), having a big stroller in the city isn't as impractical as you might think. I've noticed that a lot of the bigger, fancier strollers--Bugaboo, Stokke, First Wheels, Quinny/Maxi-Cosi--are from the Netherlands, and that's one of the most urbanised countries in the world! I actually have one like that (it was a gift) and I do like having it. I've found that using it in cities is a mixed bag. It truly stinks trying to get it on and off the tube; buses are all right (assuming the buggy space isn't full... sigh). Shops are a mix, sometimes it's great having a place to put things, sometimes it's a pain to manoeuvre. But because DD wouldn't tolerate the sling when I was sitting down, I needed a buggy whenever I was on the bus or out to eat or whatever. So given that I needed one anyway, it was good that I had a nice one. I live in an upstairs flat (US 2nd floor) so it is a bit of a faff, but the layout of my building (converted house) makes this less of an issue--I can leave the base in the front hall and just bring up the carrycot.

My one issue with babywearing on public transport is that a front carry is best when I'm on the bus or tube but I'd rather have her in a back carry when I'm walking. Not quite solved this one yet!

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#34 of 37 Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
My one issue with babywearing on public transport is that a front carry is best when I'm on the bus or tube but I'd rather have her in a back carry when I'm walking. Not quite solved this one yet!
Hey

outside of the issue of strollers...I actually take the bus quite frequently...sometimes im too lazy to walk 2 miles or just inseatd of taking a quick walk i'll take a quick busride...but I pretty much solely back carry and ive never had a problem having Ibi on my back on a bus. Its only slightly annoying when its crowded...but not too bad. Try it sometime...really its not very difficult.

Umm Ibrahim
#35 of 37 Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM

The trouble is sitting down with her on my back. if I could just work that out...

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#36 of 37 Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 AM

I would sell it and get an umbrella stroller in the future. There will be a time where your child doesn't want to be in a baby carrier, but does get tired and an umbrella stroller is perfect for this. I have a six year old dd and she does get tired on trips to the zoo and she does need to sit in the stroller occasionally. There is no way I could put her in a baby carrier.
#37 of 37 Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 AM

You can have my Maclaran Volo when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. I find it incredibly useful for:

1) Putting my tote bags of slings/carriers in to get from the car to the library for our babywearing meeting (with dd on my back).

2) Putting the carseat and carry-ons in it as a fabulous luggage cart at the airport (with my dd on my back)

3) Putting all the bags of lunch, towels, change of clothes, etc. in for a trip to the playground/water park (with dd on my back).

Etc....... :

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page