Back Carrier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-26-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I am a semi-newby babywearer. I didn't really wear DD1 except for the BabyBjorn. I didn't even realize all the options available in babywearing and that they can fit toddlers in them too!! Anyhow, I decided to give a Maya Ring Sling a try when I was preggers for DD2. Well, I like my Maya but I am looking for a carrier that can distribute the weight a little more evenly. I would also like one that is a little more comfortable to wear the children on my back. (It makes housework sooo much easier to be able to carry them back there out of the way!!) What would you all recommend for a comfy back-optional carrier?? WHY? (Links if you have them) Today, I went to the store that I got my Maya from and she recommended a Moby wrap, but what do you guys think?? I have also looked into mei teis. Thanks Ladies!!

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#2 of 21 Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Ergo!
#3 of 21 Old 05-26-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
Ergo!
WOW! Ergo's are way too expensive. $92 is a bit much for me to spend. Although I do love the looks of them. But I am thinking around $50 at the most!! Thanks though...

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#4 of 21 Old 05-26-2007, 11:13 PM

I like my Moby, it seems to distribute the weight across my back very well. I have yet to master the back carries without a partner helping me, but I don't practice often as I don't really like back carries too much (I like to see my girls).
#5 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 12:24 AM

You can find used Ergos for a cut rate. An MDC mom was recently selling her almost brand-new one for $50. I agree, 90-plus bucks, it's a little steep. The carriers are really awesome, though.
#6 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 04:44 PM

Aren't Moby's the stretchy wrap? It is almost impossible to get a good back carry with a stretchy wrap, from the talk on
this babywearing page.

Wraps are hard to learn a back carry with, but once you have it figured out they are a charm.

If you need something really cheap for your back you could try a more traditional carrier. Like a Kanga or a Selendang or a rebozo

Easy to learn is the already suggested Ergo or something similar like a beco. Mei Tais are also fairly easy to work, again, try the FSOT forums

Actually, I think the very best thing to do is see if NINO has a local chapter where you could check out a variety of different carriers.

HTH!
#7 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 05:01 PM

my only experiences are with a ring sling and a mei tai, so i can't share too much wisdom, but i will say that i am amazed at how easy it is to get DS on my back in my MT (it's a kozy) ~ i was really intimidated at first, and scared to even try doing it by myself, but i just went for it and it's great
#8 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 PM

you can carry your child on your back in just about any baby carrier but i think the beco/angelpack lx are fastest, easiest, shortest learning curve. they are on the pricier end but keep their resale value if you ever sell them
#9 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 PM

a moby or other stretchy wrap is not good for back carries, IMO.

you should be able to find a nice gently used mei tai or soft structured carrier for that price. i bet you could find a classic ergo or a patapum for $50 easily. you could post an ISO here and on thebabywearer.com and check out the TP here and there as well.

also, if you really don't want to spend a lot of money, you could buy 5 or 6 yards of cotton gauze fabric (it's usually quite inexpensive) and use that as a wrap for back carries. nice and lightweight, way more versatile than a moby and probably a good bit cheaper.

and actually, even if you don't want to make your own, you can probably find a used gypsymama gauze wrap for under $50 (i bought one a while back for $45, i believe it was 4.6m). so if you're thinking wrap, that is a better option than the moby.
#10 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have actually made a rebozo type wrap but didn't like it much. I didn't like how all the weight was centralized on my chest. Unfortunately we don't have a WNY chapter of NINO . (Anyone interested in starting one?? ) I do like the looks/idea of the Kozy Mei Tei, the Beco and the Ergo (Which seems like a mix between a Kozy and an Ergo!!) But again I guess I will have to check trading posts for one in my price range as I am pretty low on funds at the moment...

Thanks for your sharing your expertise ladies. Anymore would be more than welcome!!

#11 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 10:35 PM

I LOVE my Patapum. It is like the Ergo but cheaper and IMO much easier to use, less bulk and streamlined and the ergo backpack can be used with it.

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
#12 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 10:38 PM

I like the Ergo, but wasn't thrilled with it. I really like my mei tai, or ring sling for back carries. All the other ones mentioned though, I have seen at my Mom's group and really never hear anything bad about them.
Although some are pricier than others, they usually hold their value, if you ever sell them. And seem to last through more than 1 child.
HTH

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#13 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 11:19 PM

I LOVE MT for the back, that is why I started making them and selling them because it is THE only way to get around with e

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#14 of 21 Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM

No, I wouldn't recommend a Moby Wrap for back wrapping or for an older baby. A german style wrap would be much better for this kind of carry.

Sure, the ERGO's are priced higher than some carriers but they're well worth it and a FANTASTIC investment. We use ours at least once a day, most times more. It's rated up to 40lbs and fast, easy to use. This is one product that I absolutely can not live without. I have 9 other carriers and this is the one that gets the most play.

I think a mei tai or a soft structured carrier will be your best bet. Check out the FSOT on TBW and you'll be sure to find some deals.
#15 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 04:40 AM

I have a (homemade) Moby and a Mei Tai. I honestly hardly use the Moby anymore because the Mei Tai is so much easier and quicker to put on, and always fits perfectly. The Moby I always felt like I needed to spend a few minutes adjusting to get it just right. So I would recommend a Mei Tai. Mine is a BabyHawk and I absolutely love it.
#16 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM

I have a kozy MT which I LOVE but I'm not crazy about MT's for back carries. The rucksack style back carry doesn't feel very secure... like baby is tilting back too far-- makes me hunch over forward too much.... The twist over the front is SO unattractive on my boobs. LOL.

I'm trying to find a cheaper papatum, beco or ergo....
#17 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 12:58 PM

I have an ergo and a mei tai. I used to have a moby but sold it.
I prefer the ergo for a back carry. I prefer the mei tai for front carry.
The ergo is expensive but worth every penny. I got one used on craigslist.
The ergo can be used for hikes, long walks, etc. Think of it as an investment. My dd is one and I still use it frequently.
#18 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 PM

I have a Yamo (nearly identical to the Ergo) and a mei tai. I think the mei tai is easier to get my baby on my back with, but the Yamo is more comfortable for long periods of babywearing. I think the mei tai is a little less hot than the Yamo because the wide, padded waist strap on the Yamo makes me super sweaty.
#19 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM

Another Ergo-lover. I balked at the price initially, too, but it is so fantastic and has outstripped every other carrier I've tried for length of time I can wear it comfortably. My daughter is almost 16 months and I still wear her almost daily...certainly for every trip to a store or whatever. I've heard good things about the Patapum from people who have used both, and it's a bit less expensive. I also really liked my mei tai (homemade) when she was smaller and less active. Now she wiggles and twists so much that the unpadded waist on the mei tai slips around and is less comfortable for any time when I have to wear her for a long period.
#20 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 02:38 PM

If you can find one for a good $$ then I would definitely get the Ergo. I've tried a TON of back carriers and this one takes the cake.
#21 of 21 Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah!! I just bought my first Mei Tei. A Kozy!! I am so excited and can't wait for it to arrive. I am also eyeing a couple of Ergos & Becos on babywearer.com... I think I may be developing an addiction. Thanks Ladies!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page