Other 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which back carrier do you prefer? Why?

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#2 of 8 Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 AM

I like my Ergos better than my Beco, but I think it's a really individual preference. I know a lot of people prefer one over the other, and there's really no general right or wrong answer, just what works for you.

Differences that I can tell:

Hands down the Beco is cuter, that's for sure! Great prints. The one I have is Lacework (I think) on espresso and is very, very handsome. The Ergo is much more plain-Jane (although I do like the contrasting color ones). OTOH, the Ergos are more neutral and go with everything.

The waist/shoulder padding appears to be thicker and sturdier on the Ergos. This may or may not be a good thing depending on how heavy-duty you like your padding.

I think the hardware (plastic clips) is larger and sturdier on the Ergo. I certainly haven't heard that it's a problem with the Beco, but I definitely noticed that the D-rings on the chest strap are much narrower/less heavy-duty on the Beco.

I really don't like the hood design on the Beco much. Aesthetically it's very pleasing because it folds away neatly and the pattern disguises the hood slot, but the hood is not attached to the carrier and only velcros on. I think it's awkward when you're trying to put it on, because if you tug too hard, the whole contraption comes off.

The Beco has double adjusters on the shoulder straps, the Ergo's only go one way (pull downwards).

Hmmm, that's all I can think of for right now -- I know there have been comparison threads on this topic over at The Babywearer, so if you want to research it further you might head over there.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 8 Old 06-02-2007, 12:35 AM

I picked other.. I HATED the ERGO!! Straps dug and it just wasn't that comfy of a carrier for me OR my son.

I haven't tried the Beco since I found the Babies Beyond Borders Love I just quite having to look for the perfect carrier
#4 of 8 Old 06-02-2007, 10:00 AM

I voted Beco although I only tried an Ergo (without baby in it).

I like that the Beco has a taller body, my DD likes to lean back. I would worry she would almost fall out of the Ergo or juist be able to lean too far back that it would cause me back and neck pain.

I like the prettier fabrics of the Beco, I agree its not as sturdy feeling as am Ergo but that is a plus to me as I started with Mei tais and the Beco feels more like a me itai than the Ergo. The Ergo felt too bulky to me.

The Beco has the stay put strap that lets you fold it around your waist like a fanny pack when your baby is not in it. Perfect for an up and down toddler.

I also like that the Beco is made in the USA in a fair trade facility and that you can get slip covers to change the look of it.
#5 of 8 Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM

i like beco's taller body, softness and fabrics. (angelpack lx has the best height in my opinion) my kids usually sleep on my back and they also like to lean...
#6 of 8 Old 06-02-2007, 03:34 PM

subbing, I have an ergo, very good for dh, but the becco is so cute
#7 of 8 Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM

I kind of like ergo better, but reach for my beco in certain places b/c it rolls up more compactly. My toddler walks, so if he is just up for a short period while we walk somewhere, I can then roll it up and either leave it there or more easily stuff it under the stroller or in the bag. It is cuter. But I always loved my ergo.
#8 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 01:35 PM

I disliked the Ergo but its only because it was bulky and rubbed my arms too much. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Angelpack LX (lx is the buckle SSC). It compares with the Beco but comes with a higher back which I prefer especially for back carries.
Good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page