Wow! Intimidating choices... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went to the babywearer board for the first time and Holy Cow was it intimidating! And I am an experienced babywearer! They are CRAZY for baby carriers over there. :
I know there are daily threads on here about choosing a new carrier for someone else, and I didn't want to do that to everyone... but geez! I don't think I'll be able to frequent that other board for a while, it made my eyes cross and reminded me of the panic attacks I get if I go to Walmart. All I want is a new wrap... sigh. Or a BabyHawk. Sigh.

(only kidding a little bit)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM

I know what you mean....but it is a great board!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM

its an addiction, or maybe a sickness...be careful or you might get it
Old 06-04-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, now I'm trying to prioritize (or should I say JUSTIFY) what exactly it is I'm looking for. That's the problem, I NEED 3 different carriers for all the things I want it to do, and DP just doesn't understand. He thinks one ring sling is enough.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:50 PM

I find this forum a little more cozy. You may want to decide what you want firs.t, and then go by recommendations of brand. Just ask a lot of questions. If you are not sure where to start even, then may ask why people like certain things, or ask yourself what you want the carrier for. There are lots of helpful people here that can help you guide yourself in the right direction.

You may even find something used, or go to a local lending library if you can find one.

One of the first things you may want to ask yourself is what you want to use the carrier for. (Long hauls, short trips; do you want it to be pop-able or more comfortable?) Do you have back issues?

Those are a couple things to think of first.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMama View Post
Yeah, now I'm trying to prioritize (or should I say JUSTIFY) what exactly it is I'm looking for. That's the problem, I NEED 3 different carriers for all the things I want it to do, and DP just doesn't understand. He thinks one ring sling is enough.
oh, you so DO need 3 carriers, i know you aren't lyin! i need my wrap for at home doing chores, so he can fall asleep in it and i can use both hands and bend down without worrying about him falling out, i need my pouch for quick errands, and my ergo for hikes, walks, camping! plus i need my solarveil ring sling for hot weather and showers! you tell him he doesn't know what he is talkin about ! maybe you should make him wear baby is the RS all day and see what you mean!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellymama View Post
oh, you so DO need 3 carriers, i know you aren't lyin! i need my wrap for at home doing chores, so he can fall asleep in it and i can use both hands and bend down without worrying about him falling out, i need my pouch for quick errands, and my ergo for hikes, walks, camping! plus i need my solarveil ring sling for hot weather and showers!
But hey, doesn't a mei tai accomplish all those things? ::snicker:: I say go for the BH
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DH didn't understand why I had more carriers than I would use at once either.

I'm getting better now, I'm actually going to sell one of my onbuhimos!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies View Post
But hey, doesn't a mei tai accomplish all those things? ::snicker:: I say go for the BH
actually, i got a mei-tai a long time ago and it was the one carrier that i didn't like. it just didn't work for me period. i was sad, because they are so beautiful! but where i live it is very rainy, and those straps just were ridiculous to try tying in the rain. everything was wet. and because of my body type it just wasn't comfy. i have really big hips and no matter how i tied the damn thing, it just hurt after a little while. and it was too much work for me to tie and untie when i was running into the bank and then back in the car and then into the store and then back in the car. too much work, i prefer the pouch.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
because of my body type it just wasn't comfy. i have really big hips and no matter how i tied the damn thing, it just hurt after a little while. and it was too much work for me to tie and untie when i was running into the bank and then back in the car and then into the store and then back in the car. too much work, i prefer the pouch.
I am glad to be reminded of this. You have so many variants that it is true, not everything works for everyone. In fact, although I love them, pouches only work for me at home - I can't seem to walk anywhere in them. (Or maybe I don't have the right one yet?) Mei tais can be popable, but there is definitely a learning curve, or better yet, it may take some perseverance to get really good at it.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies View Post
I am glad to be reminded of this. You have so many variants that it is true, not everything works for everyone. In fact, although I love them, pouches only work for me at home - I can't seem to walk anywhere in them. (Or maybe I don't have the right one yet?) Mei tais can be popable, but there is definitely a learning curve, or better yet, it may take some perseverance to get really good at it.
i didn't know they were poppable. maybe there is hope for me yet...although dp would KILL me if i got another one...but they are so pretty! i was sad when i sold my BH...
yeah, pouches only work for me for quickies, they hurt my shoulder if i wear them for a long time...i like hotslings, they are just way easy to use if you get the right size.
i am by far the biggest fan of wraps, but again, the rain makes it hard. my ds is too big for stretchy wraps these days, so i can't do the poppable thing. i LOOOOOOVE my baby bali breeze wrap, but i don't think its poppable. or is it? anybody do that with the BBB? wraps are just so insanely comfortable, it never ceases to blow my mind how my son feels completely weightless when i wear him. in fact right now he is sleeping in my wrap while i type. so i guess i am BWAK...not NAK
Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 PM

It is a bit overwhelming, you can find some wonderful carriers and babywearing mamas there.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrijayne View Post
It is a bit overwhelming, you can find some wonderful carriers and babywearing mamas there.
They are helping me with a problem now!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 AM

As far as wrapping goes- I have a hard time doing anything poppable.

Pouches are great for that- but I am so OBSESSED with wraps. I'm in love with woven wraps though- and I havent gone back. They are jsut so gorgeous and comfy.

Ok- I'm one of those crazy moms from thebabywearer....I've gone mental. I just thought I confess.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 AM

OH I totally know what you're talking about. The first time I visited that site, I thought WHOA! Total overload. Almost quit a couple times but I was determined to wear my baby. I'm so glad I did. There is a WEALTH of information there but dang it's a lot! LOL.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh, you so DO need 3 carriers, i know you aren't lyin! i need my wrap for at home doing chores, so he can fall asleep in it and i can use both hands and bend down without worrying about him falling out, i need my pouch for quick errands, and my ergo for hikes, walks, camping! plus i need my solarveil ring sling for hot weather and showers! you tell him he doesn't know what he is talkin about ! maybe you should make him wear baby is the RS all day and see what you mean!
Exactly! That's the three I need as a matter of fact! I need a water/mesh/Solarveil RS or pouch so the older kids can go to the pool this summer....I need a woven wrap for awesome back carries for going to the park with said older kids.... and I need a mei tai that I can use for front and back carries for cooking and chores at home.

So I am pretty set on the fabric I want from BH for my MT.... but does anyone want to help me out with the other two???
Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM

i have a great solarveil ringlsing i got from this woman
http://stores.ebay.com/kimzkreations-baby-slings
and i love it...looks like she might be having a sale too! tell her brigit sent you!
wraps...i love my Gypsy Mama Baby Bali Breeze...its a guaze wrap. she has beautiful colors and its really lightweight, which i like.
i know that Didymos is really popular but EXSPENSIVE...might have a hard time talking your dh into that .
Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM

i just can't find the right carrier for my tiny baby whose legs can't spread yet. she doesn't like laying down, and much prefers to be upright, so i'm killing my back with a bjorn right now. help!!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulyluna View Post
i just can't find the right carrier for my tiny baby whose legs can't spread yet. she doesn't like laying down, and much prefers to be upright, so i'm killing my back with a bjorn right now. help!!
You can use a lot of different carriers -- you just keep her upright and froggy her legs up underneath her. You could use: a pouch, a ring sling, a wrap, a mei tai, or even a soft structured carrier (although with the latter you'd need to use the infant insert).

For total cuddly comfort, I'd recommend a stretchy wrap. For versatility (you can wear her front or back, even at this age), I'd go with a mei tai.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulyluna View Post
i agree with quirky...the stretchy wrap is what i used for my son for the first few months, he had the same needs...i used a cuddlywrap, but a moby is similar i think...they are soft, and really feel secure and safe. my son basically LIVED in his for the first two months. we even use it occasionally now when he is really fussy. he gets so stoked whne he sees me pull it out. but he is big now, so usually i use a gypsymama bali baby breeze, its more supportive for bigger babies.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Moby D's are great, as pp / Quirky said.
A very close second would be a Beco.

My cousin just used it with her newborn this past weekend. She didn't get an insert w/it. She just folded a receiving blanket and propped her baby against her very snugly. And the newborn's legs were not dangling at all. I think it's because Beco's fit like a Mei Tai.

Good luck.

User Tag List