Help for a bad back - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 8 weeks preggo with my second. I have a really bad back and have since childhood.

When my daughter was little I bought a ring sling and tried out a few front pack carriers from Target. They all hurt me so bad, I ended up just carrying her all the time and stopped caring that the house was a wreck. But my daughter is going to be a little miffed if I can't play with her because I am always holding the baby so I need some hands free options this time.

The worst pain in my back is up around my shoulders. The only way I can wear a back pack of any kind is if it has a waist strap. But I am starting to get some low back issues too as I get older (yes, I do see a chiropractor and a reflexologist).

Anyway, what are my least painful options?
I'm thinking Moby when the baby is newborn and an Ergo later on? Am I right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think both of those sound like good options for you. The key will be, making sure the fabric is well-spread in the Moby so that baby is high and tight against your body (above your waistline); when you get to the Ergo, making sure that the waist belt sits lower (more down around your hips) and the shoulder straps are snugged firmly enough so that baby can't lean backwards.

You might also consider a mei tai, for the versatility and the ability to get baby high up on your back from almost day one. I find back carrying to be much more comfy for longer term carries than front carries, even in a wrap. You can also get a serious woven wrap and do back carries with a newborn, but my personal preference is for the mei tai as I find it quicker and less cumbersome than a woven wrap.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page