How many carriers do you own/need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not even a momma yet, and I can already see myself going crazy wit carriers. There are so many types, and they are all so pretty, and I want one or more of each . So I am trying to put this in perspective.

1) How many carriers (and what kinds) is the you could have used from newborn until you stopped wearing your child?

2) How many do [or have] you own[ed] (and what kinds)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
own? six, 2 pouches, 1 ringsling, 1 ergo, 1 stretchy wrap, 1 woven wrap, 1 rebozo
need? ALL OF EM! well, i could probably have just 1 pouch...and the one i use the most is definitely the wrap, couldn't LIVE WITHOUT IT!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 PM

I have 2 now and DH has 2, though only uses one.

I am getting one more new one.

I have an over the sholder baby holder sling, padded. it was my first and only for a long time. DS is 18 months and i have no issues with HIM slinging him on my hip and him nurseing away .... but as my tummy is getting big that is causeing problems

I have a new MT -- only wore 4 or 5 times. i wear him on my back. once i tied him up in the front carry jsut to get him, the carrier and my bags out of a store and across a parking lot. it worked too. I really like it. I am excited to have it now. but it is not as soft as my sling, maybe it will get soft as it gets worn and wahed? not sure.

DH has a sling, not padded, he dosn't wear.

DH has a soft sided backpack... DS no longer seems comfy in -- too small??

for the new one i am going to get a Moby.

I did great with jsut the OTSBH untill he was 17 months old and my tummy started to grow. He laided in it little, or sat uo with support of the sling. now he rides on my hip in the sling, at 14 month sis who is more expereinced in babywearing than i actually laided him down in a cradle hold in it to sleep.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 06-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
I am not even a momma yet, and I can already see myself going crazy wit carriers. There are so many types, and they are all so pretty, and I want one or more of each . So I am trying to put this in perspective.

1) How many carriers (and what kinds) is the you could have used from newborn until you stopped wearing your child?

2) How many do [or have] you own[ed] (and what kinds)?

Thanks!
If you visit TheBabywearer, there are some who have a carrier for each color scheme they wear and for every type of eventuality

My second baby I started with two wraps: a stretchy and a woven. I then bought a MT because it was so easy to tie with a floppy newborn. I then decided that the MT wasn't for us since dd only liked it for sleeping in and nothing else. She hated it because she wanted to be able to see everywhere and the MT's straps got in the way . Sold it. I then expanded to short rebozo wraps because I wanted something that was fast and easy to both wrap and to do quick ins and outs.

Today, I own two long woven wraps: a wool Indio Didy and a Ulli Storch. One is for showing off and comfort. The other is my bulletproof work horse that can be dropped in the mud if necessary because it washes so beautifully.

I have a vintage Gypsy Mama stretch gauze for going to the beach and for when it's hotter then heck.

I have a tri-color Indio shortie for back and forths from the car to daycare.

I have a BaraBarn that goes in the diaper bag and can be used in any eventuality of front, hip or back carries.

I would like to get a MT again simply to use for when the mood strikes but don't really have the funds.

So be careful, you might fall into the beautiful trap of needing a different carrier for every occasion and for different uses!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I want MAYBE a gypys Momma water wrapo for showering with a NB and a tot .... and the pool.

and maybe next summer -- for my 6+ month old one of the neapream (sp?) carriers that you se ein One Step Ahead for water stuff with my then 2.5 year old...........

not sure

but i want at least ONE water carrier for the new baby so i can swim and play int eh water with my son.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 06-11-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I can see this becoming an expensive addiction.... That's what I was afraid of.

Do you find you end up using strollers at all? (I am wondering if I can use this as leverage "Well, honey, we won't need to buy a stroller") Or will I still need a stroller, for when baby is older, and heavier?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:36 PM

We do NOT even have a stroller.

We got a stroller / carseat combo for shower -- the storller is at my folks, 7 hours drive time. They have sidewalks and so on.... we do not.

DS will use it some there, but only if you keep moving and interacting.

now having a 2 year old and baby -- am i gonna wants one -- i bet i do -- but that doesn't matter if DS won't ride

I see kids sleep in the at malls and riding around fairs in them -- not my child.............

The only time i COULD even use one would be walking path, mall and target --- well the one we got was too heavy for me to lift in and out of car.

I jsut sling him -- to this day at 18 months.

if i sling him i can push a cart at target

no storller means no trouble going though racks at stores.

no sroller means less hassles at air ports and going in and out of fed building where dh works.....

but i also never carried him in teh car seat carrier either...... alwasy in the sling.

again not sure hwo i can going to handle HIM with the NB.....

but for him, as my first, or if he was going to be an ONLY -- NO stroller at all.

depends on where you live..... if we lived in town like my folks. we might have taken evening walks with him in it from tiny on -- and he might like it and be used to it......(kinda doubt it, he is a being held child)......

Quote:
Or will I still need a stroller, for when baby is older, and heavier?
That is a personal thing -- DS is not even 21 pounds at 18 months -- so while i think he is hevey now that i am preggo ........

Old 06-11-2007, 02:21 PM

I own a ridiculous number but I am a NINO leader so I need to have at least one of everything. I think most people should have a few; you have shoes for different situations, right? No Tevas at a wedding (oh oops, someone did show up to my wedding in Tevas ). No snow boots at the beach. No running in hiking boots.

If you want to pare it down to a minimum, I'd say a sling or pouch and a mei tai or a SCC. Perhaps an extra pouch or 3 tucked in strategic locations like the car or diaper bags for emergencies. You can get some good deals on pouches!

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 06-11-2007, 02:23 PM

i forgot

i plan to get a 2nd OTSBH this time -- to keep one in house and one in car

now we are at a point where the sling lives in the car, i use it so rarely at home.

it is a pain to remember each time - with everything esel to remember so we are getting a 2nd for the car......

A

Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Mei Tai, wrap (Didy), sling.

I like my wrap best and have ordered another--and I will become one of those TBW women with a wrap to match my outfits

We also have a stroller which we got given. DD loves to sleep in the bassinet (she's a sprawler so it suits her well!). Not sure what will happen when she goes into the seat! But I live in a city and walk to all my errands; I couldn't carry her that long especially with packages. And when I was first learning to babywear I only had a Maya Wrap which just doesn't work for that length of time, especially since she detested having her head in the sling. (She adores the Didy because her body's all secure but she can swivel her head around and look at everything--almost as good as being held by me )

The only problem I've ever had is that she likes facing out and I can't do that in a carrier. forget all the hip dysplasia and too much stimulation arguments--it just plain hurts.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM

How's this for weird.

My kid is 14 years old, and I own

2 babyhawks
2 home made mei tais
1 Gypsy Mama wrap
1 pouch
1 ring sling.
1 Ergo

I actually own more than that, but I need to get rid of all the others because they are old and ugly and I won't use them.

I obviously don't wear my 14 yr old. Although I do wish I had owned them when she was a baby. I use them for my daycare babies. Carriers has made my job so much more enjoyable.

Everything I own, I have purchased used. (or I sewed it) I could live with one mei tai. I have a favorite reversable babyhawk. I could part with the other mei tais. But, I like my whole selection.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 PM

Um...well, I own far far far too many.

But each comes ion useful at different times...BUT i'd like to pare down sometime.

But honestly...all you really need is maybe 2 carriers...one really good, comfy carrier for back wears and doing housework/hikes/walks...etc...like a Patapum or an Ergo or even a Mei Tai.

And then one other *just to have* as a bit of a change...like a Mei Tai or an Onbuhimo or a Sling or a Wrap.

I just bought a Patapum...mostly for DH to use, but frankly...im loving it and forsee myself reaching for it more often than not. I *love* my onbuhimos but the Patapum takes comfort to a whole nother level!

We have a stroller...but its never left our bedroom and im trying to sell it...ds is 5months and weve never needed it! Oh he's also like 16lbs now...so he's def getting big fast!

Umm Ibi
p.s. about child getting heavier, etc etc...well, you could bw them until they are even 4! The SSC's like Toddler Patapum and Ergo are perfect for this and will support a child whos even 40lbs! (dept on what ur back will take)
We plan to BW as long as we can...should we ever need a stroller..it'll be a cheap, umbrella one...nothing fancy...we live in the city on the 3rd floor...anything bigger would be a MESS!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh right! I should probably have multiples so I can have one in a diaper bag, one in (each) car.... hehehehe. Shawn's gonna love that!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post

about child getting heavier, etc etc...well, you could bw them until they are even 4! The SSC's like Toddler Patapum and Ergo are perfect for this and will support a child whos even 40lbs! (dept on what ur back will take)
We plan to BW as long as we can...should we ever need a stroller..it'll be a cheap, umbrella one...nothing fancy...we live in the city on the 3rd floor...anything bigger would be a MESS!
Its not whether the carrier can handle them that worries me, its whether my back can... and carry all their stuff....
Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM

another thought on big and hevey -- i -- BEFORE PG -- carried my 4 yo newphew (who is as big as his 6 year old brother) on my hip with teh sing for added help ------ it worked great. Now i bought as tall and hevey as he is (big kid) i could have handled it now pregant, or if he'd been alssep....but it worked for us.

A

Old 06-11-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. I guess parents end up needing to carry their older children anyways, and manage. Having a carrier tucked away would just (possibly) make it easier. And it would save lugging an empty stroller around in case they needed it.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I want MAYBE a gypys Momma water wrapo for showering with a NB and a tot .... and the pool.

and maybe next summer -- for my 6+ month old one of the neapream (sp?) carriers that you se ein One Step Ahead for water stuff with my then 2.5 year old...........

not sure

but i want at least ONE water carrier for the new baby so i can swim and play int eh water with my son.

Aimee
i just got a solarveil sling from this lady
http://stores.ebay.com/kimzkreations-baby-slings
it was affordable, i use in shower/pool and for regular use because it is so pretty.
tell her brigit sent ya!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:04 PM

stroller? i have one and i use it to hold all my carriers! i don't like it, used it once and ended up carrying ds in arms while pushing it. unless you have a body issue that makes carrying baby unsafe, i personally think you can get away with never using one. i plan on not using one. dp wants to keep stroller just in case...i want to sell it!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:07 PM

DD is 6 months old. We have 7 carrying devices.
What has worked for us so far: in order of appearance in our house
Need? Well not sure but, they all have their use, see details...

1) Ring sling. Never used it craddle hold, she hated, but tummy to tummy even when she was a NB. Still very useful for quick shopping trips in/out of car.

2) Stretchy wrap (cuddly). Tummy to tummy as well. She was in it a few hours a day I'd say from 3 to 8 weeks. Then she started to like throwing her head back although she could hold it and it scared me. Don't use it anymore, not enough support to my liking.
However, if I would have known about this one, http://www.babybuddha.ca/index.php, I would have used it instead of the cuddly.

3) Homemade woven wrap. Only used it when the stretchy was in the wash and she wanted to nap on me. Guess never really "needed" that one much.

4) Kozy. It solved the throwing the head back problem. Used it from about 8 weeks to 6 months. Very very handy item, although I have never managed to get a comfortable back carry with it, it is nice for the front and hip, and still my best carrier if I will need to nurse. DH used it occasionnally, but he still finds the straps "girly": .

5) Framed pack. DH does the carrying when hiking and he sweats too much when she is against him. He likes the frame pack. I don't use it.

6) Homemade Mesh pouch. Superuseful for the shower and the waterpark. Nice for nakey butt baby too. I find that her bum slides out of the ring sling if she doesn't have a diaper on, but the pouch being deeper works just fine. Also folds up so small as a "just in case" carrier in my purse.

7) Ergo. Allowed me to finally manage a comfortable back carry. And it is an everyday carrier that DH likes! He has not touched the stroller since the Ergo started living in out house.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBoo View Post
1) Ring sling. Never used it craddle hold, she hated, but tummy to tummy even when she was a NB. Still very useful for quick shopping trips in/out of car.
*Babywearing Newbie Moment*
You cand do more than a cradle hold with a ring? Wow! I had put it aside, thinking I would go with something more versatile. Well add that to my list. Off to research ring slings. Shawn will be happy, because he likes them.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM

sling...............

cradle hold

front faceing out -- baby taylor sit (when able to hold head) ( a fav of ours)

hip wearing -- 6 to 8 months on -- they do not have to hold on if you pull sligh up to sholders, of when they can sling can go under arms

cradle hold but sitting up looking around vs laying in the sling to sleep or nurse......

i have seen -- buts can't do -- the sling used to support an older child on the back.......once a child can hold on.....

I am sure there are others

these are the ones we used, or have seen IRL

Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Is a ring sling a hands free kinda thing?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 PM

yep (depends on the hold sometimes, i have had to removie him, and re-place himt o get it right i still have to do that at 18 months)

even at 18 months and active i can still go hands free -- though if i HAVE free hand i put it on him

when he was littel -- he would stay in it if i sat down, so i'd sit though church, or type or eat or whatever...................now he will only stay in it if we are up and going, not sitting

Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM

http://www.slingbaby.com/fabrics.htm

Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 PM

I have owned a LOT of carriers. It's a hobby, not just a practical thing. Hey, at least I'm not collecting Hummel figurines or Barbies... (don't : me if you collect these!) I sell off the ones that I don't like or don't work for me, so I figure I'm performing a public service by letting them out into the world for another mama to try.

I console myself (or is that rationalize like crazy) with the fact that a) even the most expensive carrier is not priced any higher than a mid-range decent stroller, and b) there are people out there who collect strollers like some people collect slings! Now how's THAT for an expensive hobby!

If I had to pare down to what I consider a basic collection, I'd probably want one of each of the major types: pouch, ring sling, soft structured carrier, mei tai, and wrap. Except I'd probably sub-divide wraps further and want one stretchy wrap, one hybrid wrap, and one woven wrap. Even though I'm not a wrap fanatic. :

But if you threatened me with something incredibly painful and made me choose JUST ONE.....well, I think my brain would seize up but it would probably be a mei tai.

On strollers....I think it totally depends on where you live and what you use them for. I found the snap n go carseat holder a complete waste because my kids hated the bucket seat. OTOH, I love love love my walking stroller (a Mountain Buggy Urban Single) because it enabled me to get a lot of aerobic exercise and lose a lot of weight that just wouldn't have been possible babywearing. Yes, babywearing is exercise, but you can't walk really really fast very well while carrying a child IME. I also love my only other stroller, a Maclaren Volo, which is awesome for ease and portability -- I've used it a lot to push my sling collection into NINO meetings, schlep all the gear from the car to the playground/waterpark/pool, put the carseat and carry on luggage in in the airport, and every now and then actually push a child in too. Seriously, I don't use my strollers every day -- far from it -- but when I have used them, they've been awesome.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:50 PM

over the course of time, having two kids, i've had a *lot* of different carriers. but i tend to get rid of what we're not using/what's not working for us and try something else (or make something else).

things that have always been in my stash are a lightweight cotton batik ring sling that i made myself, and some manner of MT (smaller bodied when they were littler, larger bodied as they got older). i've also had a couple of different stretchy wraps, a couple of gauze wraps and woven wraps (one of each that ended up as ring slings), a couple of pouches, and a couple of SSC's.

they all serve different functions - some are super quick to put on which make them great for running into the store or something, and those are usually also pretty small and pack along nicely in a diaper bag or the the car "just in case." others take a bit longer to put on, but offer more support and are better for wearing the baby for longer periods of time. and a lot of it is personal preference. i never met a woven wrap that i totally loved - they were nice, but i just always grabbed for the MT's and SSC's for some reason. others love their wraps and don't grab for anything else. so to some extent you just have to try different things and see what works best for you. and sometimes that's going to change based on the age/size of your baby and how/when you babywear the most... which you won't know till the baby comes of course.

so i'd say get a few "staples" and then buy, sell, trade till you find what you love
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM

SSC's

????????????????????????????

Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM

I have two ring slings, two wraps, and a pouch. I need them all, lol. Only the wraps overlap in usage--but one is a fun print, and the other is classic espresso--so obviously I need them both!

The 2 ring slings are different in fabric and dimension, so they work better for different holds. I use both daily.

BUT--all 5 carriers were homemade. My mom made one ring sling ($10), another was a hand-me-down, but probably also about $10, I made the pouch ($5), and I made both wraps ($15 and $18....but I got 2 of each for that price! I am gifting one of each to a friend). So.....that is less than $60. Not bad!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 PM

Listed in the order of most to least/never used...

I have a Hotsling pouch, an Eden Mei Tai, several homemade wraps, several homemade pouches, numerous ring slings including an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder and homemade ones, a Kelty Kangaroo, & a dusty Baby Bjorn.

I'm currently looking for a great "back carry" carrier.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 AM

I only need my Maya sling and now my new Babyhawk mei tei. I still have one of the Hotslings too but dont use it much.

I have owned (and sold most of):

2 Over the Shoulder Baby Holder (horrible, my intro to babywearing)
An adjustable fleece pouch (great but hot)
a hug-a-bub (way too stretchy)
3 hotslings (I am not good with pouches)
2 maya wrap slings (I loved one and wanted it with a longer tail so got another)
a mei tei baby mei tei (loved it till I got my babyhawk!)
a babyhawk mei tei (AWESOME)
a baby bjorn (eh...its ok)
a snugli (like wrestling an octopus)

User Tag List