Back carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All you sling mommas, and also those that don't - have you tried a back carrier for your older 6m+ babe? If so, do they like it? Do they feel as "snuggly" as when they are in a front carrier? How much do you use it?

DD is 7 months, and in a forward facing Baby Bjorn A LOT. She hates slings, so this is our "sling" because we use it so much. When awake, she forward faces (though she does fall asleep like this as well.) When tired or grumpy, she faces me so she can still look out to the sides, but she can also relax her head more for sleeping. We both enjoy it, but I would really like to consider a back carrier, to give my sore muscles a break sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 AM

I would look in the babywearing forum, but something like a mai tai can be used the same way - facing out and facing in - and is a lot better for the baby's spine. And more comfy for the wearer.

DD rode on my back as soon as she was sitting up and had good head control. She loved it, and it's WAY easier to do house work and stuff when they're on your back. The way our laundry room is set up makes it difficult to bend over with a baby on front, so she rode on my back A LOT.

But, the straps on the mai tai weren't that comfy, so I upgraded to an Ergo and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Although, what carrier you choose is so personal, it's best to find someone who has one you can borrow and try. Some mama's love the Ergo, some hate it. Some mama's love their MT's, others hate them.

I'm flying next week and am in a pickle about which to use - the MT or the Ergo. I love both for different reasons so I'm glad I have both, but if you can't afford to get both then borrowing one to get a feel for it is probably your safest bet. Or the trading post. I got my MT gently used on the trading post.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#3 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 AM

i have a babytrekker for when my little guy is squirmmy and i need to get stuff done - for when he''s sleepy, i put him in a bapu (basically a pice of fabric 110 cm wide and 2m long) - just put your baby on your back and tie him on.
#4 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM

i'm already wearing my 6 week old on my back in the mei tai. so far, it's super comfy & he loves it!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...100_0766-1.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/100_0767.jpg

i only had a maya wrap with my dd's & was never able to accomplish the back carry until they were much older. i'm so excited to have the MT this go-round!!

stephanie asl.gif

#5 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM

ergo works great for us.
#6 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 AM

ditto on the Ergo - you can use the hip, front or back carry with a babe your size. I love my Ergo!
#7 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 11:20 AM

Another Ergo fan here

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#8 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
ber

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

#9 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM

I have been carrying my dd on my back in a Babyhawk Mei Tai since she was 2 months old. She and I both love it. Here she is sleeping on my back while shell hunting on the beach.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#10 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 11:59 AM

I have a mei tai and a Yamo and pretty much only do back carries with my 26 lb. toddler. It is very snuggly, he likes to wrap his arms around my neck and lay his head on my back. I would choose a mei tai with a newborn (<3 mos) but a structured carrier (Yamo, Ergo, Patapum, etc) for an older baby. I almost always go for the Yamo these days, unless it's really really hot or I need a carrier that'll fit in my diaper bag.
#11 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Another Ergo fan here...DD1 loves her Ergo "piggyback" rides (we started the Ergo when she was around 8mo, she's 27mo now) and we expect we'll need another Ergo when DD2 is a bit bigger. DH and I both find the Ergo super comfy and it doesn't bother my back. But MTs are "prettier"

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#12 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
i'm already wearing my 6 week old on my back in the mei tai. so far, it's super comfy & he loves it!

i only had a maya wrap with my dd's & was never able to accomplish the back carry until they were much older. i'm so excited to have the MT this go-round!!
What type of MT is the sweetie in?? It looks so comfortable for both of you!!!

::: on the hunt for a MT:::

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#13 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Babywearing

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#14 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

OK Ladies - everyone is recommending the Ergo. I did a google search "Ergo wrap baby" and got pictures of this Ergo sling, with the baby on the front and on the back. Is it the same Ergo - meaning it works both forwards and backwards, or are they different? I just need a back carrier, as the Baby Bjorn does front.

Also, says it has a sleeping hood thing, but I can't see in the pictures. Anyone have a picture?

Another, maybe more important question - how do you get babe in a back carrier? With the front carrier, I can put her in and out quite easily myself.
#15 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM

The website www.theergolady.com has lots of pictures. The ERGO also works as a side carrier. The Bjorn is great, but many people find it uncomfortable after baby is 15 -18 lbs, and, as I recall, it's only recommended to 20 lbs. So a soft carrier like those mentioned here will last you much longer!
#16 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Is it the same Ergo - meaning it works both forwards and backwards, or are they different? I just need a back carrier, as the Baby Bjorn does front.
The Ergo can be used for front, back, and hip carries. You can see pictures of the different carries and features (like the sleep hood) on their website at http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#17 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM

In addition to the Ergo or other soft structured carrier (like Beco, Yamo, Patapum, etc.) there are also:

Asian baby carriers -- not only the mei tai like the Kozy and Babyhawk that have been mentioned above, but also onbuhimos and podaegis.

Wraps -- you can get a heavier, more supportive woven wrap like a Didymos or Storchenwiege (or many others) or a hybrid wrap like a Gypsymama Bali Baby Stretch. A stretchy wrap like a Moby or CuddlyWrap would be too stretchy for your baby and I also don't recommend them at all for back carries (no matter what their websites say!)

There are a lot of options for back carries, it just depends on what you're looking for in a carrier!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#18 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 AM

I say get a wrap.. You can do any carry with one... front, back, hip cradle, whatever you want... and as a second carrier, a mei tai or the likes
#19 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, for all the replies. Looks like I will be getting a skildepadde (turtle), which is the Danish version of a "modern Mei Tai." The Ergo looks totally cool with the snaps, which IMO would be easier than knotting. Unfortunately I can't get it here, and I don't want to spend a million bucks on shipping one here.

This is it:
http://www.slynger.dk/index.php?opti...hk=1&Itemid=63

http://www.slynger.dk/index.php?opti...tid=1&PageNo=2
#20 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 PM

oooh, i didn't realize you were in denmark! there are lots of great BW vendors in Europe, and i know ergo sells directly there, i'm positive you could get an ergo from someone there and not have to pay outrageous shipping from the US. there are also lots of mei tais, etc. available in europe -- especially norway!

http://www.ergobaby.eu/en/p1832/ergobaby-carrier.htm

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/distributorseurope.html

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#21 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 07:44 PM

Awesome mama! Yes I started ds out on a back carry as well really young-actually at 3 weeks and it really makes life ALOT easier! Im so glad u found a MT this time around,

Great pics btw
Umm Ibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post

#22 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 07:56 PM

I recommend an onbu. It looks intimidating at first, but is better with the rings than a MT IMO.

Try freehandbaby.com - I LOVE her slings.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#23 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Quirky, thank you SO SO much for this link. Really reasonable with realistic shipping. I really like the Ergo, as I am not a super crunchy sling totting type. Certainly not a closet mainstreamer either - just somewhere in between.
It seems to me the Ergo can be used a lot ( I carry her tons in the Baby Bjorn now), but I also like that it has the easy clasps, instead of having to tie knots. I promised to meet a woman here who has the Danish Mei Tai on monday, but unless she offers something really great at a great price, then I am going back to that site and ordering my Ergo. Thanks again.
#24 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 AM

You're welcome! Always happy to spread the Ergo love.

#25 of 27 Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh! I hated the Turtle (Danish Mei Tai). Basically a fabric patch, with 4 long strips, one at each corner, that came around me and knotted. Looked practical enough. And It was fab on the front - Lea loved it, and comfy for me too.

But on the back - when I made it tight, it just dug into my waist and ribs (tried it low and high). Soooo uncomfortable! Slightly looser and it felt like she was going to fly out. She wasn't, but it became so heav on my back, like misplaced weight. And she screamed the whole time. I suppose both of us will have to get used to the back weight.

I'll order the Ergo, and hope for the best.
#26 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 PM

The ergo is great for back carrying. I love that I can start out carrying on the front and then move to the back carry if I need to.
#27 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM

I got the Yamo "fever" now. You can get Yamo in Europe too. I looked at Ergo and Yamo and I LOVE the Yamo.

Good Luck!

Love,
Daniela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page