Ideas for how to Wear Baby on Airplane - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be travelling on a red eye flight with my 10 month old in the near future. I have always worn him in a pouch or in my arms when he is sleeping. What I am wondering is if there is a way to wear him while on the flight so he can sleep and not be disturbed as we change planes. I am not very well aquainted with all the different slings/wraps/carriers out there so some specific suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!
#2 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 AM

If you are traveling in the US, you are prohibited by the FAA from wearing him in any carrier during take-off, taxi and landing, unfortunately.

Whether or not this rule is enforced depends on the flight attendents on your specific flight; they may leave you alone but people have definitely been asked to remove Baby from the sling. Just wanted to warn you.
#3 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM

nak

We just went to Montana with our 2yr old and 2mo dds. I wore the baby in a mei tai. once I sat down on the plane I untied the shoulder straps so I could nurse baby for take off. I left the bottom part tied to my waist so it was easy to get the carrier back on. DD probably would have slept through all of that but I wanted her to nurse so her ears wouldnt pop. As soon as she started nursing she went right back to sleep
#4 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 02:55 PM

I went to California with my 2 year old a few months ago. You can wear your babe through the airport (though you may have to remove him when you go through security and then put him back in) but once seated you cannot. He can ride in your lap (without a seatbelt I might add but cannot be strapped to you in any way. He also will not be able to have the seat belt on him (only on you). Because you have a babe with you while travelling you are more likely to be seated up front, next to a window, due to oxygen mask placement. Because of how close you'll be to the staff they are more likely to enforce any rules/policies.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#5 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies! I would have been very surpised if I was told to take the baby out if I wasn't forwarned by you all because when I traveled with him at Christmas and he still fit in the pouch in the cradle position, that is how he was for take off and landing and there was no mention that I had to take him out. We were in row one facing the flight attendant that whole time too! Anyways, now that I am more clued in on the take off and landing info, I would still like to have something that DS could sleep in so I can get some sleep as well. In my head I am envisioning some sort of sling where he is all kind of "contained" with no arms or legs sticking out to get hit by passers by in the aisles (sp?). Would this be like a ring sling? Any good suggestions for that?
#6 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 03:23 PM

Hmmm, a wrap would be the best way to keep his body parts contained, but again as PP have said you may have to take him off you for takeoff, landing, etc. And it will entirely depend on the flight attendants you get as to whether they will enforce their (somewhat asinine IMO) rules.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 04:03 PM

i have been wondering the same things. I'll be flying cross country with a 4yr old and 7 month old. I have been looking at the Mei tais and the Onubumino(sp?)can they sleep in those/ Are they easy on and off?
#8 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlivnmom
i have been wondering the same things. I'll be flying cross country with a 4yr old and 7 month old. I have been looking at the Mei tais and the Onubumino(sp?)can they sleep in those/ Are they easy on and off?
Both mei tais and onbuhimos are pretty easy on-off and both can be slept in in a front carry. I prefer ones with taller bodies to provide better head and upper body support. I might prefer a MT for traveling to have the ability to leave the carrier on tied around the waist and just undo the top straps as necessary.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 08:21 PM

You no longer need to remove a baby (or a 3yo!!!) from a baby carrier at security checkin! Woo hoo! And while they do come around and make sure you baby is not restrained before you get ready for takeoff, if you have baby out and never get warned, then they go sit down themselves and get strapped in, you can pop baby back into a baby carrier and just not have known you weren't supposed to do that. There is an FAA approved vest but I think it's a gimmick; I think an AP baby is going to be much happier in a baby carrier. If nothing else, I have rigged my baby in with various parts of the carrier.

Safety-wise, though, it is very tricky. In the event of a crash, people in coach will get their legs broken. That's the payback for the lower faires. And a baby on your lap would probably not survive. There just isn't a way around that. If there were a hole in the plane though, and you didn't have your baby strapped to you, you would probably not be able to hold on to them.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#10 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 PM

Hmmmmm, We fly very often and I never been told to remove my little guy from a carrier. But when we went to Europe last year, I was told that we can't take the car seat on board, although we had a separate seat (Virgin Atlantic), because it's not safe:.
I guess all airlines have different rules.

Love,
Daniela
#11 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 11:31 PM

Same as PP, we travel quite frequently and I always wear DD in my Moby. We've had several flight attendants stop to talk to us extensively and I've NEVER been asked to remove DD from the carrier.

DH's parents live over-seas and we visit them yearly. We've always bought DC a seat, and we've always been allowed to bring the carseats on, although, after our first experience on an 8+ hour flight, it was much nicer to have the extra space to spread out, rather than having the car seat taking up space. It's my personal opinion that a car seat isn't going to do a lick of good if a plane crashes (they are designed to protect in automobile crashes, not airline crashes), and is therefore a waste of precious space.
#12 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug88 View Post
I guess all airlines have different rules.
It's an FAA rule not an individual airline rule, so if you are travelling in the US it does apply. It is hit-and-miss about whether it is enforced...when you are sitting on the plane the individual flight attendent *is* both the airline and the FAA as far as you're concerned so it all depends on the staff.

FWIW, I agree that the B'Air vest is a gimmick and it's not FAA approved for taxi, takeoff and landing, either.
#13 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 AM

I never knew that you had to take them out.. Where are you going to put them if they are not in a carseat? When I flew with my youngest who was almost 4 months I did not take his careseat.. His "ticket" was for my lap... I had him in the carrier the entire flight... Only took him out to go through security.. I really think a wrap or MT would be best... and as another pp said.. a wrap so you can cover more of him.
#14 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 12:18 AM

We fly every month, sometimes taking two trips and it is indeed an FAA rule that they cannot be in a sling during takeoff, landing and any taxiing. I have been told by FAA counsel that this is because in their estimation, a baby flying through the air and falling is going to sustain less injury than a baby who is body slammed by their parent into the seat in front of them. Don't kill the messenger, that's what I was told. I do agree though that it's up to each individual flight attendant to enforce the rule and if you think you're better off with your DC in a sling for those times, there's not a whole lot stopping you.

I only use a ring sling. After so many trips, it's really the only thing that is versatile enough to fit the majority of situations. I cannot tie a MT on one handed, I have to have a place to lay the baby down to tie the straps at my waist and that's not always convenient. I used to carry an onbu b/c of that, but we only take redeyes, so there wasn't a lot of need for it b/c I don't like tall bodied ones and all mine don't offer much head support for a sleeping baby. And, it's much harder on and off through security since it has to be taken off b/c of the metal rings. The ring sling also has to be taken off, but I can get it back on in a jiffy while running after DS (3). The baby can lie down if she wants in it, she can sit up, she can sleep, she can look around. I can use it for a blanket or a coverup - it's really very useful. And folds up very compactly if I don't use it (although I don't think that's ever happened ), whereas a MT, onbu and wrap are always so bulky, IME. I'm not a pouch gal, so I guess a pouch could serve all the same purposes, but I need a different size pouch to carry DD and DS, so that makes it out too. I know, a pouch is supposed to fit the mama, but I need a size smaller for DS or he isn't snug and secure in it. So...after all that, I would recommend a ring sling.

Have a fun trip!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#15 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 12:21 AM

I love my ERgo it's a soft structured carrier for easy in and out. DD still sleeps in it some. We're traveling this summer too. This is a great question.
#16 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenSandoval View Post
You no longer need to remove a baby (or a 3yo!!!) from a baby carrier at security checkin!
I beg to differ. I flew from Salt Lake City to California 5 months ago and had to remove my DD from a ring sling once I got to the security part. It was obvious I had no contraband or illegal things in the sling but they had to still send it through their scanner. I think it MIGHT have to do with the security level on that particular day but you are still asked to remove them most of the time. If for no other reason than not to set off the metal detector.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#17 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
I beg to differ. I flew from Salt Lake City to California 5 months ago and had to remove my DD from a ring sling once I got to the security part. It was obvious I had no contraband or illegal things in the sling but they had to still send it through their scanner. I think it MIGHT have to do with the security level on that particular day but you are still asked to remove them most of the time. If for no other reason than not to set off the metal detector.
The change is very recent. I flew in April and 2 weeks ago and it's fine. Promise! There was a whole lot of excited chatter about it on TBW at the time. Would I steer you wrong? Of course, metal rings, as someone else pointed out, could be a problem. My carrier had no metal. Cell phone did though.:

#18 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
If you are traveling in the US, you are prohibited by the FAA from wearing him in any carrier during take-off, taxi and landing, unfortunately.

Whether or not this rule is enforced depends on the flight attendents on your specific flight; they may leave you alone but people have definitely been asked to remove Baby from the sling. Just wanted to warn you.
This totally bugged me, I just flew with my son (then 3 weeks) I bought a carrier with no metal and that was easy on and off for the trip. security flying there let me wear the carrier. but the flight attendent told me I had to take it off. Not just take him out, but remove the carrier from my body and store it under the seat I put him back in once we were up in the air

On the way back security made me take it off to go through even though I told them it had no metal on it. Then the flight attendent said I could leave the baby in the carrier but had to disconnect it from my body, in her words "if something were to happen to you in the event of an emergency we wouldn't be able to help the baby if he was attached to you" honestly I would have felt safer with him attached, but there wasn't any arguing
#19 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 01:29 AM

So sorry they made you take it off; they may not have been aware of the new rules?

And about them hassling you on the plane, that is why I say if you are going to wear it, wait until the airline attendants are seated and the plane is taxiing about to take off, but do not take this as safety advice either. I was watching that show MythBusters and I really tend to agree that a baby strapped to you is probably a horrible idea in case of a crash but a great idea if you want to evacuate. I have given this a lot of thought and there is no one thing that feels safe for all scenarios. Perhaps the FAA vest isn't that bad 'cause it has a long leash? baby would fly up but not totally get away from you? There are just so many accident scenarions. Nothing makes baby safer for absolutely all of them.

#20 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 AM

we just recently flew round trip with 8 month old dd and i wore her in a MT and they never mentioned anything to me about it but i had heard that they might
#21 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 01:04 PM

I feel in the highly unlikely event of a plane crash, not much is going to help. I'm more concerned about the reality of turbulence and if I"m seatbelted in I want the baby strapped to me so he isn't jostled out of my arms and injured that way I agree with you one thing that works in one situation (evacuation) may be detrimental in another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenSandoval View Post
So sorry they made you take it off; they may not have been aware of the new rules?

And about them hassling you on the plane, that is why I say if you are going to wear it, wait until the airline attendants are seated and the plane is taxiing about to take off, but do not take this as safety advice either. I was watching that show MythBusters and I really tend to agree that a baby strapped to you is probably a horrible idea in case of a crash but a great idea if you want to evacuate. I have given this a lot of thought and there is no one thing that feels safe for all scenarios. Perhaps the FAA vest isn't that bad 'cause it has a long leash? baby would fly up but not totally get away from you? There are just so many accident scenarions. Nothing makes baby safer for absolutely all of them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page