1 carrier for newborn thru toddler - which one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 07-07-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you could only have one carrier to last from newborn through toddlerhood, what would you choose?

I didn't know a lot about babywearing with my first child and mostly used a bjorn with him when he was an infant. I'd like something different for the next baby and I've heard such great things about many different carriers, but I really can't afford to get lots of different ones. Is there a single product that work well for a newborn all the way up?
#2 of 35 Old 07-07-2007, 08:44 PM

That's tough! A mei tai would work for a newborn through toddler, though I like to have a ring sling as well for NIP. It's not as comfortable as a MT, but IME it is easier to be discreet in a RS. If you check the FSOT boards here and at TBW, you should be able to find some affordable choices.
#3 of 35 Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 AM

A wrap most definitely... Its the most versatile.. can be worn in any imaginable position... and it will last years... It will fit a newborn to a toddler.. and if you have a long enough wrap you can use it for two babies at the same time

My second choice would be a Mei Tai
#4 of 35 Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 AM

I use my maya wrap and mei tai for my toddler and NB.
#5 of 35 Old 07-08-2007, 06:34 AM

Ringsling (Maya Wrap) or Mei Tai, but to be honest: you need more than one because it's so much fun and very addictive to try them all!!

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#6 of 35 Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 AM

i am loyal to my stretchy wrap.

nothing else is as comfortable.

when i carry my 12 kilo baby/toddler i dont even feel the weight at all.

i love it. nothing can compare.

go for it.

dont be intimidated, with in 2 weeks you'll be a pro.

it was my first carrier.

I live in Israel and they are very popular here, so i just got one. i didnt even know i was being alterntive at the time. they are the most comfortable and most versatile, you and your dp can share b/c it soesnt need to "fit" you. it is just the best go our and get one.
#7 of 35 Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Do you get hot using a wrap? Everytime I see them, it just looks like so much fabric wrapped around mom, and I keep thinking about how hot I always was for the first six months or so after DS was born.

It sounds like I need to just sit down at the sewing machine - if I make them myself, then i can have a ring sling and a mei tai. Purchasing multiple ready-made carriers isn't in the budget, but i can sew! I actually do have a mei tai already (homemade), but I'd like to make a new one now that I know what I'm doing. The first one was an experiment.

I've never used a ring sling or wrap, but I should be able to make those as well without too much expense, right?
#8 of 35 Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 AM

I bought a maya wrap with my birthday money when Annabelle was 2 weeks or maybe 3 weeks old? It's the only one I've ever used and I've always been happy with it. I have some ladies in my nursing group who have 10 or 12 various types of carriers, but I just can't see spending that kind of money/time/effort when a ring sling has worked just fine.

I am seven months pregnant and STILL using my maya wrap (ring sling) happily. My kid is 23.5 # @ 2 yo.

Maybe you can hit a NINO meeting or something when the kidlet is here and see what you like.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#9 of 35 Old 07-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommak1
It sounds like I need to just sit down at the sewing machine - if I make them myself, then i can have a ring sling and a mei tai. Purchasing multiple ready-made carriers isn't in the budget, but i can sew! I actually do have a mei tai already (homemade), but I'd like to make a new one now that I know what I'm doing. The first one was an experiment.

I've never used a ring sling or wrap, but I should be able to make those as well without too much expense, right?
Yes, definitely. There are great instructions for a ring sling you can sew yourself at www.sleepingbaby.net and you can get awesome aluminum rings quite reasonably priced at www.slingrings.com

Also, check out the DIY forum at www.thebabywearer.com to figure out what kind of mei tai or wrap pattern and fabrics to choose. You should be able to make yourself a very nice one but you need to know more about appropriate fabrics and construction methods, particularly for the MT, to make a safe, sturdy, comfortable carrier.

www.mamatoto.org is also a great resource for DIY instructions as well as wearing instructions.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#10 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 06:26 AM

Long woven wrap, like Hoppediz or Didymos.
#11 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 AM

I used a carrier like a bjorn for the first few months but my son just got too heavy to keep wearing it as it pulled in all the wrong places. I ended up getting an ergo off e-bay ( 2nd hand as they are about $150 Aust. new) and it is so much better. Think the website is www.ergo.com
The have a padded waisteband and shoulder straps. You can wear baby on front,back and on hip. The waiste takes all the weight and not your shoulders. They are designed to be used from NB-5 yrs. Think there is a NB insert that you need to boost baby up a bit ? I can carry my son for a trip to the market and out shopping witho-out any pain. The other one I'd start to feel it in 20 mins. It really was worth spending a little extra to save my back. And he loves it.
Happy hunting!!
Love Kylee xxx
#12 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 AM

I bought a used mei tei from a momma here at MDC and I LOVE it. Its not a name brand, I think it was "Lovely Mama" or something? It was the best thing I ever got for my DD out of every single out item we used for her as a baby. As for the wrap... I used these instructions as a jumping point: http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121 and basically just used stretchy material instead of woven non-stretch fabric.

There is a LOT of stitching that goes into a mei tei and it was a bit advanced for me, but the wrap is so easy to make it almost doesnt make sense to get one from someone else, IMO.
#13 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 12:56 PM

If I had to pick one, it would definitely be a ring sling.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#14 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

A woven or non stretchy wrap. My next choice would be a mei tai.
#15 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 PM

Frankly...I dont think a ring sling is your *best* option as it is one shouldered and as the child gets heavier it wont be as comfortable for longer wears.
You *could* do it, but it might not be your best bet.

The most economical is a good, high quality German woven wrap, spending $120 now and it'll last you until toddlerhood...you can do a huge variety of carries and can do a number of diff back carries as well, you can even back carry a swaddled newborn. Its probably your best bet, also the high quality ones...im talking Didymos, Storchenwiege, Easy Care, Girasol DONT wear out...they just get softer and easier to handle...

The 3rd best choice is a high quality Mei Tai like a Kozy or a Babyhawk...can be used front, back and hip and again you can carry a newborn on your back.

seriously...if you want a RS, just make one or buy a less expensive one...spend the big bucks on ONE very high quality German woven wrap OR Mei Tai.

Umm Ibi
#16 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM

My vote is for Maya Wrap -- holds up to 30 pounds if I remember correctly. And IME it's very easy to switch positions without taking off the carrier.
#17 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM

A Didymos. Yes they cost alot but ohhhhh once you get one on and you carry a child for hours in total comfort you will be so glad you spent money for extreme quality.

I bought a size 6.

I search for a number of days looking for a good buy on one. Finally found one that a discontinued design and got it at what I consider a good buy.
#18 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM

a mei tai, hands down, without a doubt for me. preferably a larger-bodied one so it will be more useful with a large toddler (since you can fold it over with a smaller baby). i find the mei tai so much easier to deal with on-the-go than a long woven wrap.
#19 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Another vote for the mei tai. I have a Babyhawk that I've been using since my son was just a few weeks old. I wish I had it from day one. He's a little over 20 lbs now and I still find it comfortable and easy to use. I'm sure I'll still be using it when he's a toddler.
#20 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 PM

There is nothing, IMO that is as comfortable for carrying a toddler as a mei tei. My DD is 31lbs and I can wear her until I'm physically tired from carrying 30 lbs (I'm 6 mos pg)

It was a bit tricky w/ a newborn because of the head support issue, but once we got that system down, it was fine then too. I could have worn her all day and all night np. (wish she was that light now! lol) The 1 shoulder carries w/ the tube type sling and the ring sling are/were great for quick carries, but if we went to the store or anything where we'd be walking for more than a few minutes, I'd switch to the mei tei.
#21 of 35 Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 PM

It's a trick question; many baby carriers will work and you just have to find what works for you. But also, this doesn't have to be the goal; a better goal would be to find a baby carrier that works great for you now. If it should stop being wonderful, research again for your new needs and sell/swap/barter or whatever if money is an issue to get another. Or have more than one for different needs. Maybe a sling/pouch for newborn and keep those around for the up-down-up-down learning to crawl/walk stages, but switch to a 2 shouldered carrier (wrap, mei tai or SSC) once baby hits 15-20 pounds.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#22 of 35 Old 07-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Actually im curious why many of the posters suggested the OP get a RingSling as her "one carrier for newborn to toddlerhood" when like, if youve ever used other carriers and are logical about it-atleast to me, having just 1 RS as your SOLE carrier for like 3 years just wont be that comfortable.

While a RS *is* nice, infact I used to loath them but have found the Maya Wrap LP RS love-big time, i just dont find them comfortable for extensive, long wears and for long walks. Perhaps if your a mom who is inside mostly, just does short errands and stuff like this, it could possibly work as your sole carrier...BUT there is a downside, what if your baby is 3 months and is screaming his/her head off, wants held but you really want to make dinner or tidy up...its very difficult to comfortably back carry a child under 12months in a RS-its possible but difficult. My son is 6months and ive back carried him almost exclusively since 3 weeks so both he and I are used to it, but I find a RS back carry quite tricky.

Honestly, a 2 shouldered carrier is the logical choice, they can enclose a newborn, can do a front carry and as they get older or if you need to do a back carry and they r still young its possible to achieve this, also doing a 1 shouldered carry as your sole carry can, potentially cause more problems to your back than a 2 shouldered carry as so it'll be extra impt to wear the RS carefully and properly and to switch shoulders frequently.

Id honestly suggest, as I stated above, that a good quality (yes I know they r $$) German woven wrap or a high quality Mei Tai r the OP's best options as they allow more freedom of movement and allow the opp for safe and snuggly front/back and hip carries while giving better support for long term wearing.

OR if the OP really wants to spend her $$$ on a RS, I highly suggest she learn how to do a carry w/ a cheap yard of fabric called a SPOC (simple piece of cloth) so you can do a back carry if needed.

OP, pls let us know what u choose.

Umm Ibi
#23 of 35 Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Butting in...so I thought I had it down for myself to a ring sling and pouch (I just can't see doing the wrap)...now I'm thinking one or the other and a mei tai? I really think the mei tai is what I want but I was concerned about nursing in it, esp. NIP, that's why I was leaning towards ring sling for a newborn.

Thoughts?
#24 of 35 Old 07-17-2007, 06:47 PM

My personal vote for "can do everything carrier from newborn to toddler (to preschooler)" is a wrap, hands down, all the way.

Liam's Mum: since you are leaning toward mei tai, I must say that I find Mei Tai's to be pretty much as comfortable as wraps, similarly easy to use in back and front carries (not very convenient for hip carries, but I don't know why anyone needs a hip carry when they can do a back carry), and I could nurse in it easily and discretely. I'm very small chested and I think the discrete part might not work for a bustier mama.

I think that if you are drawn towards a Mei Tai, that you are more likely to find it easy and intuitive to use, and to like the look of it and WANT to use it, so it will work better all around.

A Mei Tai is cooler than a wrap, in my experience. Though EllaRoo wraps are pretty airy and equally comfortable (IME) to my Didymos Indio.

I think you should buy a Mei Tai and if it fails to fill any of your needs you can sell it or trade it and get a carrier that fills those needs.

The benefits of a wrap that you will miss out on are:

fully encloses a newborn like a cradle or the womb--more cuddly

provides great, versatile head support for infant or sleeping kid (some MTs may also)

good for hip carries, as well as front, or back

if needed it can be a blanket, changing pad, handkerchief or napkin, leash, belt, seatbelt (in a highchair or shopping cart, NOT a car), towel, sunscreen, etc

nursing cover, sun cover, post-preg tummy cover, etc

more versatile so better chance that you will be able to nurse in it

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#25 of 35 Old 07-17-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam's Mum View Post
Butting in...so I thought I had it down for myself to a ring sling and pouch (I just can't see doing the wrap)...now I'm thinking one or the other and a mei tai? I really think the mei tai is what I want but I was concerned about nursing in it, esp. NIP, that's why I was leaning towards ring sling for a newborn.

Thoughts?
Ring sling and mei tai.

I've found from experience that a pouch fits nicely in the diaper bag but is not as nice on your back/hip and the fit can be tricky.... I do really like my pouch, but it is not nearly as versitile as the RS. The mei tai is great for an older baby and for longer wearing activities; although you certainly could use a mei tai for a little one, too.

I have seen moms nurse in a mei tai, they just lower the babe a little and pull the boob up a little. I think it's easier by the second or third baby, when your boobs have become pretty flexible!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#26 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I definitely wouldn;t go RS. They're fantastic in the early weeks but really tough on the shoulders as baby gets older.

A wrap is the most versatile but the hardest to use. A Mei Tai is a little less flexible but easier. I think nursing in a wrap would be easier because you can do the cradle and cross-cradle in it, like a sling, and there's extra fabric if needed.

If you do go wrap, stretchies are great in early infancy but don't last past about 18 lbs (they say up to 25, but most people find they need to switch earlier). A Didymos or Storchenwiege will last till the baby is 3!

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#27 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 AM

I have to respectfully disagree about the RS thing. If I had to pick only ONE sling, it would be a ring sling. The adjustability is worth it alone.

And FWIW, I've carried a 30+ lb 2 year old more than 7 miles through Barcelona in a RS in one day. I wasn't any worse for the wear and he was comfortable all day long.

The thing is, your baby isn't just all of a sudden 30 lbs. It's like lifting weights - they grow slowly and you build up your strength. By the time they're that big, you're strong enough to carry them.

At least, that's been my experience.

Just make sure you figure out which kind of shoulder you want - can you go to a babywearing meeting in your area and check out which brand is most comfortable? That would be the best thing, IMO.

Good luck!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#28 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM

I have to agree that it's all personal preference. I can't do ring slings past so many pounds (about 12-15) and need a 2 shouldered carrier. Most of my local mamas wound up with 2 shouldered carriers after my influence but darned if those stubborn girls aren't still pulling out their ring slings as their 2nd kid is 2 and 3 years old. They still like the convenience of it and it doesn't hurt some of them the way it does me.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#29 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Definitely a long woven wrap...that would give me the most versatility for carries. I LOVE wraps!
#30 of 35 Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
I have to respectfully disagree about the RS thing. If I had to pick only ONE sling, it would be a ring sling. The adjustability is worth it alone.

And FWIW, I've carried a 30+ lb 2 year old more than 7 miles through Barcelona in a RS in one day. I wasn't any worse for the wear and he was comfortable all day long.

The thing is, your baby isn't just all of a sudden 30 lbs. It's like lifting weights - they grow slowly and you build up your strength. By the time they're that big, you're strong enough to carry them.
While that's true, my problem with an RS is the way it's so unbalanced. All the weight pulls on one side. With a wrap, or even a MT, the weight is much more evenly distributed. And I found this to be true quite early on.

The other thing about ring slings is that I don't think you can do a back carry in one before the baby can hold its head up--which you can in a wrap. This is useful for getting things done around the house.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page