another ergo insert question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm thinking of ordering an ergo & can't figure out what these are supposed to do exactly. is the carrier just too roomy for little babies? i mean, is it a question of baby's size only or of other developmental things (head control, etc.)? DD is going on 10 weeks but is almost 15 pounds w/ good head control (but not total). she also likes to look around a lot and hates anything resembling cradle hold, which is what the infant position looks like with both legs out one side. i just can't see her going for that. can we go w/o even though the insert is recommended until 4 months?

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#2 of 7 Old 07-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Your DD is prolly big enough to not use the infant insert -- it's more for little babies who would get swallowed in the ergo.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#3 of 7 Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone
i'm thinking of ordering an ergo & can't figure out what these are supposed to do exactly. is the carrier just too roomy for little babies? i mean, is it a question of baby's size only or of other developmental things (head control, etc.)? DD is going on 10 weeks but is almost 15 pounds w/ good head control (but not total). she also likes to look around a lot and hates anything resembling cradle hold, which is what the infant position looks like with both legs out one side. i just can't see her going for that. can we go w/o even though the insert is recommended until 4 months?
When you say she hates cradle hold, do you mean lying down? Because if she's big enough to be worn in the Ergo without the insert, which she most likely is, she'll still probably need to sit sideways because she probably won't be comfy with legs straddled. But sideways doesn't mean lying down -- she'd just be sitting with her bum in the middle and both legs out to one side, but she wouldn't need to be reclined much if at all.

You can also try: a) putting her in with both legs froggy-style, so she's facing you, and/or b) putting her in with one leg froggied (tucked up under her) and the other sticking out the side, again facing you. (Although you CAN do a cheat and put her in facing out, I don't think it's what the Ergo is designed for/good at).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 7 Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfox View Post
Your DD is prolly big enough to not use the infant insert -- it's more for little babies who would get swallowed in the ergo.
OMG, michelle, i am so sorry i never showed up today! i just realized i forgot to call you! DD slept, then woke, then i put her in the swing to get ready and she konked out for another hour plus! then i nursed her and she napped AGAIN! she like would not wake up for any length of time! so i just forgot about getting anywhere. and i just NOW realized i had told you we were coming! i am so sorry!!!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#5 of 7 Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 PM

nak:
no worries! i was just concerned that you were having a bad day. i'm glad to hear S slept a lot!

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#6 of 7 Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
When you say she hates cradle hold, do you mean lying down?
yeah, lying down where she can't see anything. she would never do cradle in the hotsling, for example, not even at 4-5 weeks. for awhile facing in was totally out, but now that she can turn her head enough, i think facing in will work okay as long as she can still manage to see the world!

#7 of 7 Old 07-14-2007, 01:44 AM

If you can wait another week, you can try mine before you order one. I have an ergo + an insert, so you can figure out if it works for you. I like it, myself.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page