pouch question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a few pouches, one I made and one I bought from a wahm. The one I made seems to be on the small side, since my 17lb-er seems a bit squished in it, but she rides nice and high. The other one seems a bit long, as it hangs below my hip bones, not as squishy, but not as comfy for me, or secure feeling.
On the hotslings website, the baby's seem to have lots of room, but are nice and high.
What gives? Could it be the design?
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#2 of 3 Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 AM

your baby should not be below your hips. That pouch is definitely too big for you. Fitted pouches are tricky. For being such a relatively simple design, there are a lot fo variations between brands that greatly affect the fit and comfort. As far as the dimensions go, you have to consider both the width of the fabric used (which will indicate the depth of the pouch the baby will be in), this can vary greatly between brands. The next is the degree of curvature of the pouch seam, some pouches are more rounded in the seam than others and that will greatly affect how comfortabley the child can be in the pouch in various positions. The next is the length of fabric used to make the pouch, this is what will make it comfortable and safe for the wearer to use. Some makers have a wide range of sizes to get that perfectly fitted carrier while others have s, m, and l and that gives a lot more chance of having a pouch that doesn't quite fit right.

Check out Jan's site for more info on pouch construction:
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/
#3 of 3 Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 AM

Would it be possible to post some pics too? It is helpful to see if it is actually the size or if you could just make some tweaks in how you are using them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page