Ergo versus Mei Teis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm ready to branch out from my ring sling with a new carrier. I'd like something that distributes the weight to the hips as I can feel my back starting to tweak out with the sling for long periods. But what is the difference between and Ergo and a Mei Tei? Obviously, one has hardware and one doesn't, but for you mamas that have used both, what are the pros and cons of each and which do you prefer?

Mom to :, , and :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 AM

I have used both and prefer the Patapum, (similar to the Ergo but better IMO, more streamlined so easier to put child in on your back). The Mei tais are GORGEOUS, but even with all the tricks I learned, they are actually uncomfortable and HOT, and the long straps are a pain when baby wants to get out in public, (drag everywhere). The Patapum, you can put on and go - it is a godsend - I wish I had one when my other two were younger.

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 PM

You might look at a Beco if you want the combination of the "beautiful" draw of a mei tai with the hardware of a structured carrier.

I was actually just coming on here to post a similar question, and ask people here what they think of their Becos versus their Ergos. They're both pretty different from a mei tai in that the shoulder and waist straps on mei tais aren't padded and are a bit narrower.

Anyway, the Becos are beautiful! I saw the Patapum online, but I read something that said the Patapum is best suited to smaller-framed people. I'm not one of those!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM

I have both a BH and an ergo, and I love the BH. But..I'm pregnant and the ergo just doesn't fit right, and I'm not sure how it will fit not pregnant becuase the whole reason I got it was so that I could wear dd pregnant. I can't wear it at all. I couldn't even wear it with an extension.

But I love, love, love the BH. I can carry her front or back, and I'm 34 weeks. She is small though--only 19 pounds...I might not be comfie carrying a bigger baby front. I don't find it to be hot, but the long straps can be a pain. I am anxious for this baby to be born so Ican try the ergo for real!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Although I love my MTs, for serious comfort I prefer the Ergo or another soft structured carrier as well. The waist band is much wider and more padded/structured than the straps on a MT, so IME it does a better job of distributing the baby's weight to your lower body. There's also more padding in the shoulder straps, so fewer pressure points.

For a little baby, the MT is my preference for wearing positions and versatility. But for a bigger baby, especially one who's learning to walk and wants up-down a lot, I like the Ergo for the fact that it's 2 buckles and you're done, and there's nothing to drag on the ground and get dirty.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think I may go with the ergo. I tried one on the other day and liked it. Not sure I would like the Mei Tei straps. Would loooove to get a Beco, but its a bit out of my price range right now.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 AM

I love my Beco. They are a bit pricey, but worth it IMO. I only have tried on a MT, but found it to be a pain to try to tie the straps. I like the ease of the clips.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Gee... after pricing the Ergo, the Beco is only $30 more...so maybe I will splurge and get it...:

Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 AM

I love my MTs. I could never get dd as tight in the ergo as I can in the MTs.

-Angela
Old 08-10-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Are you petite? The Beco does cinch down smaller, as does the Patapum. I have the opposite issue; when I have nearly strangled myself in a mei tai, I get it all adjusted and then feel the waist and it's loose and all the weight is squarely on my shoulders. I have just never managed to get one on properly so it's comfortable for more than the briefest of moments. Still working on this!

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenSandoval View Post
Are you petite? The Beco does cinch down smaller, as does the Patapum. I have the opposite issue; when I have nearly strangled myself in a mei tai, I get it all adjusted and then feel the waist and it's loose and all the weight is squarely on my shoulders. I have just never managed to get one on properly so it's comfortable for more than the briefest of moments. Still working on this!
No. Pretty average. It's just the design of the straps instead of totally adjustable straps like a MT.

-Angela
Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
I have both, and this is my experience as well, BUT I still think the ergo is more comfortable. It puts weight in totally different places than the mei tai.

I did love my mei tai for a front carry with a little baby, but once I could get her on my back I went for the ergo.

Mei tais are definitely prettier, though.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 AM

They should just make pretty, affordable ergos then! I agree with the crazy straps-all-over-the-place mt's, but I also have it down and feel comfy with it. I've never tried an ergo, so I can't say, but I do enjoy my mei tei

mama kidlet 1.11.06
Old 08-11-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neldavi View Post
I have both, and this is my experience as well, BUT I still think the ergo is more comfortable. It puts weight in totally different places than the mei tai.
The ergo was not comfortable for me. Since I couldn't get dd in close it felt like she was really hanging off my shoulders. Made her feel a lot heavier than she ever has in a MT.

-Angela
Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 AM

I just recently received an ergo in the mail and I have to say I like my Angelpack LX and Beco MUCH better! The ergo body is shorter than I like and bulky. Not quite as comfy for compared to the other soft structured carriers I've tried (I also like the Moshi carrier).

If I had to pick between an Ergo and a MT, a kozy carrier mei tai would win hands down! They are super comfy for us and have been since my DD was an infant (she is now 21 months). I do like Babyhawk as well but not as much as our Kozy carriers.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:12 AM

I would say ergo. I like the MT now for my 5 month old but I think as she gets bigger the ergo will work much better. With the Ergo I still can carry my almost 3 year old and I don't think I could do that with the MT. Plus the ergo is easier to get on, the MT has way to many straps and tying, and wrapping. I also don't like how the MT cuts into her legs a bit.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:55 AM

I've mentioned this in another thread, but the mei tai I use can hold up to four years old (not sure about the weight limit, but you can always contact her)

http://edenbabycarrier.com/

mama kidlet 1.11.06
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
You might look at a Beco if you want the combination of the "beautiful" draw of a mei tai with the hardware of a structured carrier.

I was actually just coming on here to post a similar question, and ask people here what they think of their Becos versus their Ergos. They're both pretty different from a mei tai in that the shoulder and waist straps on mei tais aren't padded and are a bit narrower.

Anyway, the Becos are beautiful! I saw the Patapum online, but I read something that said the Patapum is best suited to smaller-framed people. I'm not one of those!
OMG! I was coming on to post the EXACT SAME QUESTION!!!

I've been using a mei tai for 5 months or so and I like it...but I recently tried an ergo and found it to be much more comfortable. Maybe I'm not tying the mei tai correctly, but I always felt it loosen up as I wore it....I also felt that the weight of DD was mostly on my shoulder, with the waist strap just there to keep her from falling out of the bottom. With the ergo I felt like the weight was mostly on my hips, with the shoulder straps there to keep DD in place. More comfortable--for me anyway. And putting DD in the mei tai just so I can start o load of laundry is a pain...seems like getting in and out of the ergo is less fussy.

So, how is the beco compared to the ergo?

AdInAZ, did you buy the beco? How do you like it?

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
Old 08-11-2007, 02:15 PM

ergo all the way
Old 08-11-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and bought the beco. Its enroute. I really liked my friend's ergo, so I am hoping that I won't be disappointed with the beco. THe kimono print was just too pretty to pass up. :

Old 08-11-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdInAZ View Post
I went ahead and bought the beco. Its enroute. I really liked my friend's ergo, so I am hoping that I won't be disappointed with the beco. THe kimono print was just too pretty to pass up. :
Oh, great! Can't wait to hear the review

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).

User Tag List