Babywearing is "lazy"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going on a trail walk with DD, DS and my friend and her DD. I put Andrew in my peanut shell (goo-ga.com) and she (my friend) says to me "my uncle says those {slings in general I assume} are lazy". Her uncle and aunt are due next month. (FTR she doesn't BW but she didn't agree that they're lazy)
Has anyone ever hear baby wearing is lazy??? I thought I'd heard it all!
I bet he doesn't think strollers and baby buckets are lazy though
On a realated note, DP and the kids and I were at an ice cream place having some might yummy ice cream when I saw a couple and their baby get out of their car. I rolled my eyes and grunted. DP (very new to anything AP related- I'm the only one who's ever exposed him) says "what? do you know him? do you know her? ooooo! I get it! It's because they're carrying the baby in his carseat!!!" I was proud. I think I'm finally getting through... then he says "yup, they aren't carrying him. That's it. If she doesn't at least pull out a boob and feed that baby right here, we would NEVER be friends with them!"
LAZY! SHEESH
Seriously, is that a COMMON view???????

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 PM

I dunno. But that IS the reason I babywear and definately one of the top 5 for why I breastfeed!! (Or half the other things I do....)
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandynee22 View Post
It's because they're carrying the baby in his carseat!!!" I was proud. I think I'm finally getting through... then he says "yup, they aren't carrying him. That's it. If she doesn't at least pull out a boob and feed that baby right here, we would NEVER be friends with them!"

He's funny.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 AM

I think people make comments like that maybe because they had to work so hard with their own babies...and now they're jealous because you seem to have it so easy.

Like, "I had to lug that baby bucket all the way into the store and back, what a workout!" and so seeing you easily slinging a babe makes them a little defensive and the lazy word creeps up...

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 08-21-2007, 12:40 AM

Turn it around; ask them what they mean. Look stunned at the appropriate points!

I bet it is something along the lines of spoiling them; you are too lazy to put them across the room and train them to be compliant; you give in to whatever they want because you're afraid to do the "work" that is "required" or some such. Whatever, dude.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
I dunno. But that IS the reason I babywear and definately one of the top 5 for why I breastfeed!! (Or half the other things I do....)
Same Here! It's just so much easier!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 AM

In one respect it is lazy. Like PP's said, that's part of the reason I do it. Besides the fact that babywearing and breastfeeding are what's best for baby, it's what is best for my sanity sometimes too! I mean, why do I want to spend time mixing bottles or soothing a baby that is strapped to a carseat when I could just wear her and pop out the boob for her whenever she needs it?

Then again, tell those people that think it is lazy to hike around every day with an extra 15 - 20 pounds strapped to their front or back and see how lazy they think it is then. Strollers have wheels. They pretty much walk themselves!

Babywearing + Breastfeeding = The World's Greatest Workout!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM

Oh yes, babywearing is very lazy. I don't need to dance, make faces, twirl toys and fly through the grocery store at the speed of light because my dd is quite content just hanging out.

Sounds like your DP is alright
Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 AM

Lazy...
Old 08-22-2007, 04:53 AM

I can see it. I can't be bothered to figure out how to fold/unfold a big stroller and pack it into my small car. So much easier to just pop her in a sling or something.

And yeah, laziness is definitely in my top 5 reasons why I breastfeed. #2, I believe, right after "best for the baby".

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Definitely lazy in the "go with the flow" sort of way. (For breastfeeding and babywearing)

I feel like mamas who make all the these AP things out to be such hard work just discourage those new parents who are on the fence about the way to go! I think we need to promote the idea that it's what's best for the baby, what's best for the family, and what's best for us. What a joy breastfeeding and babywearing is--I feel kinda sad for mamas (and papas, for bw-ing) who don't get to experience it.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 PM

I think she's confusing "lazy" with "efficient."
Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 PM

I don't see it as necessarily lazy, it's just not making extra work on myself.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post

My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
:
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 PM

Ooo, good point hypatia.

It's not lazy. It's not more work, either. It's different work, and much, much better. Right now I can't sit down because Naked Baby is asleep on my back (he can tell the difference between standing/swaying and sitting on the ball, and he has a definite preference ). So I could easily go all martyr-y, and moan about how hard babywearing is. Of course, because I was wearing him on my back, he was happy and content to be looking around for half an hour, chewing on his fist, insteading of crying and yelling at me, and me having to run around trying to distract him and figure out what he wanted (which was, actually, to be on my back!). Plus I got a bunch of laundry folded, another load started, the dishes done, and made myself a snack.

People who think babywearing, or any other attachment practice (aka parenting), is either "lazy" or "too hard" just doesn't understand. It's way too outside their worldview, and they're trying to dismiss it. It's not lazy, it's not difficult, it's just life.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirzhaZ View Post
In one respect it is lazy. Like PP's said, that's part of the reason I do it. Besides the fact that babywearing and breastfeeding are what's best for baby, it's what is best for my sanity sometimes too! I mean, why do I want to spend time mixing bottles or soothing a baby that is strapped to a carseat when I could just wear her and pop out the boob for her whenever she needs it?

Then again, tell those people that think it is lazy to hike around every day with an extra 15 - 20 pounds strapped to their front or back and see how lazy they think it is then. Strollers have wheels. They pretty much walk themselves!

Babywearing + Breastfeeding = The World's Greatest Workout!
Really!!
If anyone that called babywearers "lazy" had a baby strapped to them for <insert length of time here>, I think they'd be singing a very different tune!! I don't know about everyone else here, but my 2 1/2 yo dd is very squirmy!! Forget wearing her, it's workout enough trying to keep her from wiggling!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 AM

I don't babywear (not opposed to it, just haven't tried) but I do carry my baby "by himself" (i.e., not in his carseat) when we walk, etc., and boy do I get a lot of stares. I guess it is lazy, though, compared to having to carry an extra 10lbs worth of carseat, lol.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM

I use my baby carseat for things like going out to eat, shopping for clothes (so I can try things on!!), etc. They're not ALL bad.

That said................LOVE my carrier.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 PM

I would have asked what exactly she meant, particularly since she was quoting her 'uncle'. It sounds like she didn't really kjnow what to think of babywearing, and he was the only person who had given her any sort of opinion on it.

I don't think it's lazy at all. I think it's very effecient, and hard work, too, carrying a baby around on your body! Nothing lazy about it, with the exception of maybe being lazy and not wanting to carry around the extra 10 lbs. that the baby carseat carrier would add!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 PM

Lazy? I definitely do not feel lazy when I drive (that part is lazy) somewhere and then put my dear baby in a sling or wrap to go into a store. it is not as easy as grabbing my bucket from the backseat. In the long run it is much more efficient and easier to be hands free however. IMO! I guess you get a workout no matter ....either from carrying the big plastic thing or getting the baby into the wrap and then carrying physically with your body ha ha

It amazes me that people have comments NO MATTER what you do!

ps your dp/dh is HILARIOUS, um i mean perhaps sarcastic. reminds me of someone i know well
rock on sista
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I would so much rather carry DS than DS plus the fifteen pounds of baby bucket carseat. And maneuvering the stroller can be just such a pain, especially on anything but a smooth, level surface. So I guess I'm lazy (although, like Hypatia, I prefer the term "efficient").

Really, there's no special virtue to suffering. When work is pleasant, we manage to do more of it.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

its not lazy its easier. and conforrtble. end enjoyable for mom and child. how is it lazy to strap 25 pounds to the side of me? i think thats more work then pushing a stroller. dont you?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
ITA with this.... I do these things because they are simple- I do not have to lug any heavy crap with me or mess with nasty formula- I am a get up and go and bring as light and little as possible!! I even think cloth diapers are in the "lazy" arena- lol... I mean do I really want to go to the store and shop for the right size and brand and then stand in line and write a check and drive home and then when I am out search for a garbage?? H-E-double hockey sticks NO!

If that means I am lazy- fine with me!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:04 PM

Well, maybe it's lazy because it's so easy! (lol).
I couldn't ever carry the baby bucket for it was too heavy and awkward for me! So in that regard, babywearing was waaayyy easier & lighter! I am almost always shocked when I see people struggling with these things - I guess they just don't know!
Oh and my dd hated her stroller so that saved me from lugging that thing around - I always carried a pouch rolled up in my bag so I could put her in it at any single moment - that was pretty darn easy too.
And let me also say that breastfeeding was the easiest of all and it was almost always the cure to any complaint she ever had & still is!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 AM

I am confussed as to why he would consider it lazy? Since you have your hands free? My MIL is critical of my baby wearing and wants me to put my tiny newborn in the crib to cry!
But to the couple with the baby in the car seat, my little guy has major reflux and after I nurse him he needs to be still and upright, he is being held all the other time even when we sleep. But his little throat spits up less when he is in his car seat 15-30 min after I nurse I really think as moms the one thing we can do is judge each other less we have the hardest most important job lets help each other!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 AM

Yep, babywearing is lazy.....what's the issue here? I'm lazy when I prefer to wear my child on my back while cleaning the house, rather than have him chase me, crying at my ankles while I get stuff done. Plus, he plays with my hair when he's on my back...ahhh, love it.

Anything that's easy, convenient and healthy for mom and baby's attachment is ok with me. Who needs to mess with a stroller or carseat when you can just throw baby into a sling and forget about him/her? Why mess with bottles and extra baggage when you've got boob already packed and sterilized?

Lisa (mom of 3 wonderful children)

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 AM

I guess you could call it lazy. Hey I am not keen on doing the baby bucket barbell routine myself. We used it for two months. Mainly left it in the car. I've used the sling from day four on. People are so jealous.:

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 AM

The only time I really used the the bucket other than as a carseat was to click it in the stroller when she was really little and was sleeping and we were going to be out for a while. Even that was annoying. To just lug around the carrier in my arms is just a PITA and too heavy. I would rather just carry my baby.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Lazy? :

No, just easier. Easy doesn't always equal lazy. It's not just easier, they've done studies showing it's better for the child.

User Tag List