Carrier for Dad who hates Ergo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some suggestions! We have an Ergo that my Dh hates -- and I need him to help me out with babywearing...

I'm sort of a minimalist (compared with most of you ) and have mostly used an adjustable ring pouch and the Ergo for DD (now age 2). We did have a Bjorn that neither of us liked and also a frame backpack which we both loved (got rid of it when we moved overseas -- big mistake!) but it was not great for wearing around the house or shopping in town, and we couldn't use it until after 6 months.

Our second DC will arrive in December and I want to have something especially for Dh to wear a young baby. I don't really have any ideas -- he's a tall guy (6'3") and with an athletic build. He likes the look of the Ergo, just not the fit. Something super-easy to put on is what I think will get used the most, which is why I was thinking of another ring sling without the un-manly flowers... but considering I only have 2 kinds of carriers, it might be nice to branch out a bit!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Maybe a Mei Tai? What exactly does he not like about the fit of the Ergo? A pouch may work too.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think a Kozy with XT staps might be the way to go. They are very durable. Great for little babies but because the body size is a bit bigger than alot of other MTs it will work great with a toddler. I have one that I use with my DD2she is 23 mos and 24lbs but I have also used it a few times with my older DD who is now 5 but 40 inches tall and 38lbs.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#4 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 PM

My Dh was the primary babywearer in our family for a long time. He favored a homemade wrap for most of the first year and now he prefers the Maya ring sling with our toddler (18mo).

I actually bought the fabric and had Dh make (i.e. cut) the fabric to fit using the directions from mamatoto.org. With the wrap, Dh would put it on in the morning and just wear it about, popping Ds in and out as he pleased. It took some prodding to get him to try the wrap but he became quite the zealot once he figured out how versatile wraps are. He used to come home all excited and telling me about all the pregnant women he had taught to tie the wrap.

Two other reasons I plug homemade wraps: 1) super inexpensive--you can make 3 wraps for around $15, 2) you can make several wraps so if your kiddo is a spitter then you can have one in the wash, one on your body, and one clean and waiting.
#5 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 PM

My BIL is 6'4" and built like a barrel, so he's had problems with a lot of carriers, too. He has had the most success with a Kozy, although I don't think theirs has XL straps, just regular ones. My very crafty sister just made him his own soft structured carrier which he loves because it actually fits him!

I have to post the link with pictures because I shamelessly brag about how talented she is:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...d.php?t=157754

A pouch might be a good carrier for him especially for the early days. My dh really liked the simplicity and snuggliness of the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch. He also really liked the Maya Wrap ring sling (and in fact taught me how to use it 5 years ago when our first was born! )

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 PM

Maybe a Beco
http://www.ecobabies.com

Or a Carry Me Mama Buckle Tai... which she can make specifically to your husband's measurements. I *love* mine.
http://www.carrymemama.50megs.com/index.html
#7 of 8 Old 09-05-2007, 04:51 AM

My husband will wear the Beco because it's very comfortable. But he likes the rugged look of the Patapum. ooops...baby woke up
#8 of 8 Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been thinking about a pouch for the ease of use -- I'm just skeptical of buying anything made just for him (what if he doesn't use it?!)

I've showed him the pics of the other carriers, but anything that resembles the Ergo is immediately out! He just doesn't like the fit. We both feel like the straps are wayyyy too padded (we're both broad-shouldered, and they slip off). He doesn't get the weight transferred to his hips either, so the Ergo hurts his back (wearing our not-so-huge 2 yo -- she's all of 23 lbs.)

I think I may just go with a pouch for him, for the early months... then give in to the huge, structured, backpack thing again -- at least it'll give me a break on long walks.

The only problem now is that I want them all!!!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Tags
Mei Tei Onbuhimo , Soft Structured Carriers , Ergo Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page