Ergo infant insert - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to invest in an Ergo for my 7 week old, and I'm wondering if the infant insert is necessary. I've looked on the website, but I really can't tell what the insert does.

Any feedback?
#2 of 9 Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM

I have an Ergo, but have not used it for an infant yet. I don't necessarily think you need their insert, but you will need something to support the baby with until he/she is bigger. It does not support their heads at all and probably would be too big for a baby of 7 weeks. I just went ahead and ordered the insert so I don't have to worry about it, but I'm not due until January, so I haven't tested it out.
#3 of 9 Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if there was any kind of head-support. I've heard great reviews on the Ergo, but I couldn't tell from the pictures about the head-support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sing4jy View Post
I have an Ergo, but have not used it for an infant yet. I don't necessarily think you need their insert, but you will need something to support the baby with until he/she is bigger. It does not support their heads at all and probably would be too big for a baby of 7 weeks. I just went ahead and ordered the insert so I don't have to worry about it, but I'm not due until January, so I haven't tested it out.
#4 of 9 Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM

It really depends on the size of your child. With a lot of little babies who are not quite newborns but still quite little, you can just put them in a tummy to tummy position, froggy legs, upright, legs inside in the carrier, snug it down and they will do just fine. Or you can try a side saddle position, just like you'd do with the insert -- body perpendicular to yours, both legs sticking out one side, like you'd wear them in a sling. If these positions work and are comfy and secure for your baby, then you can skip the insert.

For other babies/parents, they find that the insert is useful to provide head support and body cushioning (to keep baby from falling out the side) up to the 4 to 5 month mark.

My recommendation would be to get it, try it both with insert and without, and return the insert if you don't need it.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 9 Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 PM

i got the insert and i think just folding a towel would have worked just as well. the baby shown in ergo's video explaining the thing is *tiny* and ds2 was never that small.
#6 of 9 Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raeinparis View Post
i got the insert and i think just folding a towel would have worked just as well. the baby shown in ergo's video explaining the thing is *tiny* and ds2 was never that small.
I have an insert and also think a plush towel or baby blanket would suffice. I'll post pics of the Ergo in action with my preemie baby in a bit for you to look at. I use the side infant carry though (where his legs are on the same side not spread eagle, he doesn't like it and doesn't have enough "girth" yet for that carry).

Here are some pics I found :

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/P1050054.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/P1050052.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/P1050056.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/P1050057.jpg (close up of infant insert in action in infant side carry)
#7 of 9 Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 PM

I don't have the insert, as I started using the Ergo when dd was 6 months, but I agree that it is probably not necessary. After seeing the insert IRL, I have decided to save my $25 or so and improvise. I am willing to spend the extra 5 minutes to fold a towel or blanket (whichever works best...we will see when baby comes). If you don't want to deal with the hassle of folding something, maybe the insert is worth it for you. As far as I could tell, the insert is meant to be used in the side carry (as Sheal's pics showed).

I hope you find something that works for you

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#8 of 9 Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 PM

I got the Ergo when ds was about 7 weeks and got the insert. It was briefly useful (he's big). I could have done without it but it was nice to have it. Not essential, though.
#9 of 9 Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 PM

I got an ergo when my dd was 7 weeks and was advised by the storekeeper where I bought it not to get the insert. It would have been too hot for summer. The storekeeper showed me how to insert dd into the ergo sideways, just like with the insert, but just having her in there alone. She fit just fine and liked it better than being frog-legged. I also put her sideways in my mei tai and she prefers that to being frogged in there as well. If my baby was not big and I needed more for her, I would just use a towel. I would not put baby in the ergo tummy to tummy until at least 3 mos with good neck control.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page