back carries and carrying your stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have gotten out of the habit of wearing DD (17 months) and using the stroller instead largely because we always have so much stuff to carry and I can't figure out a way to carry her and a bag at the same time. We have a mei tai and a beco. Will the ergo backpack fit on a beco? Prime example, we go meet DH for lunch at his job (less than 10 min walk away). I would love to wear DD instead of using the stroller or (gasp!) driving. Only how do I carry her, a diaper bag, and our lunch??
Thanks!

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Normally what I do is this....for walks or bus rides...unless we're doing a whole day away from home excursion I travel as lightly as possible...also my son doesnt tend to need much stuff...sooo..

him in a back carry, a bag-uh, like a canvas grocery bag or whatever kinda bag you like (I hate diaper bags btw) and I only take whats really necessary-maybe 1 diaper (if I feel he'll need changed), keys, wallet, perhaps a sippy cup and like thats it. If I need to take food, just stash in the bag.

I normally dont take toys or anything else as he can play with whats in the bag or whats around in the environment.

I was in DC for 2 weeks a month ago w/ my son on a bit of a vacation and everyday we did that...him in the carrier and 1 bag w/ a diaper change, sippy cup, keys, wallet and my bottle of water.

worked out well.

Umm Ibi
Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 PM

I agree that by 17 months, I could get away with a very light bag and that made getting around super easy.

I use a backpack as a diaper bag. When dd is on my front, I wear the backpack like a normal person. When she's on my back (much more often now that she's three!) I put one strap of the backpack over my head and one shoulder like a purse or just sling it over one shoulder like a purse (or a schoolkid). There's plenty of room for the backpack to hang behind one shoulder beside dd. Messenger bags or canvas shopping bags work just as well.

I'd put the lunch in the bag, but if the bag's full, you've still got two hands for carrying a lunch!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 PM

I detest diaper bags and only keep one in the car.

So when I go somewhere like you describe I wouldn't take a diaper bag, maybe a diaper but probably not.

If I where in your shoes I would just take lunch and some baby wipes for clean up.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:26 PM

When DS is on my back I use a shoulder bag with a looong strap and wear it crosswiseacross by body. A long enough strap fits fine and I can still get to it with him on me. I use the diaper bag they gave me free at the hospital with formula in it : (I threw the formla away, it's a pretty good bag though!)
Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 PM

Diaper bag at 17 mos for a quick lunch 10 minutes away? More often than not, I don't bring one: If anything, I have a small handbag with my wallet, keys and a tiny book, toy or crayons for my girls to keep themselves occupied for a trip like that.

If I think we might have to do a diaper change I have one of those little fabric Dipees & Wipees but just a diaper and a few wipes would work too. If the handbag I'm carrying doesn't hold it, I tuck it into the folds of my wrap.

I do have a diaper bag, but that usually doesn't go with us unless it's an all day excursion. And even the diaper bag is the size of a small messenger bag. I try to keep my bags real small to avoid family clutter. When I had my first baby, I seemed to collect all of dh's stuff. "Oh honey, put the camera in the diaper bag...oh let me get a brochure on that new appliance, can you put it in the diaper bag?" The less you carry, the less you accumulate
Old 09-23-2007, 05:15 AM

I don't pack much either. I stash a cloth diaper into the pocket of my Beco at all times. So I always have one with me. Then for a picnic lunch with dh, maybe a Whole Foods / Trader Joe bag with insulating lining. I throw all else in there: sippy cup, water, lunch, wipe spray and wallet.
Btw, my ds started getting changed standing up. So I stopped packing changing pad.

User Tag List